UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It may seem irrelevant, but reality and perception are two different beasts. CAA's past success may linger in the minds of many for a long time.... even if the CAA loses Mason & VCU and doesn't bounce back completely.

They HAVE lost Mason & VCU! They belong to the A-10 now........yeesh.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the future in the AE? Say want you will but the caa is significantly better at marketing their constituent members... The ae is invisible... Caa was a bit to successful for their own good....

Having said that, there are big concerns going forward with the caa should they call... Not a slam dunk by any means as it was a few years ago.... I voted yes in large part because I see no future in the AE. Caa is losing teams to big time conferences.... Bu went to the Patriot...

How many teams North of Virginia has the CAA lost??? Do you consider Georgia State to the Sunbelt "big time"???

So the choices are:

AE - low profile, stable.

CAA - higher profile, unstable.

I'd like to make sure the CAA is actually done losing schools. I don't know if it will happen but it seems like Northeastern and Hofstra want into the A10 as well.

hard to answer. depends on what kind of caa we'd be getting into. I am really happy with caa football but I can go either way with the remaining sports. not thrilled with what is happening with the caa but also wish the ae had some vision. adding umass-lowell proves they are not ready to take it to the next level.

Really? A Northeast mid-sized public with excellent facilities in the heart of the conference footprint. Remind who else you would have added???

I'd rather see the AE try to poach back some of their former members. If the CAA is indeed folding then that would put the AE at an advantage to entice them back and create a stronger conference. Why the rush to add a D2 program? Just shows a lack of vision IMO. I could be off base but that's how I feel.

Why is the CAA unstable? Success.

VCU, OD, and George Mason are being rewarded for their success. Don't penalize the CAA for being a launch pad to greater things.

Sure there is no guarantee of additional success by joining the CAA but what does the AE buy us? Stability? Stability of mediocrity.

I would rather move to the CAA with hope than linger in the AE without hope.

Stability is no reward. If you were poor would you keep your minimum wage job for life because its stabile? I would take that new job in the hope of a better life.

Don't give up on hope.

Why is the CAA unstable? Success.

VCU, OD, and George Mason are being rewarded for their success. Don't penalize the CAA for being a launch pad to greater things.

Success is why the top of the conference moved up which makes sense and is a good point. My concern is the middle and bottom of the conference is moving out for what are mostly lateral moves. I'd just like some evidence that process is done. I'm not sure it is.

.....Stability is no reward. If you were poor would you keep your minimum wage job for life because its stabile? I would take that new job in the hope of a better life.

Don't give up on hope. - SoCal_Dane

You also don't want to lock your self into a position that is hard to get out of based on hope.

Lets open the stadium have some success in CAA football and prepare ourselves for a successful move to a true Mid Major conference..

The America East has done absolutely nothing since we've been in it to show any desire to move beyond being a place for small Northeastern publics to put their small-budget DI athletic programs. It has been absolutely great for us to get to the point we are at now. It was the perfect place to start a DI program.

If we're happy being just that "a small Northeastern public with a small-budget DI athletic" then hte AEast is perfect.

If not, we should be exploring every single option out there right now, including the CAA.

Edited by danefan

hard to answer. depends on what kind of caa we'd be getting into. I am really happy with caa football but I can go either way with the remaining sports. not thrilled with what is happening with the caa but also wish the ae had some vision. adding umass-lowell proves they are not ready to take it to the next level.

Really? A Northeast mid-sized public with excellent facilities in the heart of the conference footprint. Remind who else you would have added???

I'd rather see the AE try to poach back some of their former members. If the CAA is indeed folding then that would put the AE at an advantage to entice them back and create a stronger conference. Why the rush to add a D2 program? Just shows a lack of vision IMO. I could be off base but that's how I feel.

How is AE going to "poach" anyone from the CAA when you want Albany and Stony Brook to strengthen their league by joining the CAA???? Realignment is a series of events........it's messy and takes time. Things have been falling the right way for AE regarding the CAA recently. JMU needs to play out........and then other dominoes will fall.

.....Stability is no reward. If you were poor would you keep your minimum wage job for life because its stabile? I would take that new job in the hope of a better life.

You also don't want to lock your self into a position that is hard to get out of based on hope.

Lets open the stadium have some success in CAA football and prepare ourselves for a successful move to a true Mid Major conference..

And what Mid-Major conference would that be? The dying CAA? The Ivy? The Patriot? The MAAC? The NEC? Am I missing any East Coast Mid-Major conferences that Albany might be interested in???

And what Mid-Major conference would that be? The dying CAA? The Ivy? The Patriot? The MAAC? The NEC? Am I missing any East Coast Mid-Major conferences that Albany might be interested in???

You assume the CAA won't make a move before the AEast does. Historically the CAA has been much more proactive than the AEast ever has.

And why does it have to be a Northeast conference? If this realignment has shown us anything, its that regionalization of conferences isn't required anymore.

The America East has done absolutely nothing since we've been in it to show any desire to move beyond being a place for small Northeastern publics to put their small-budget DI athletic programs. It has been absolutely great for us to get to the point we are at now. It was the perfect place to start a DI program.

If we're happy being just that "a small Northeastern public with a small-budget DI athletic" then hte AEast is perfect.

If not, we should be exploring every single option out there right now, including the CAA.

I know that you are excited about your twin basketball bids and a new 8,500 seat stadium..........but what exactly makes you think that Albany is ready for prime-time???? Might want to at least improve your baseball field so you don't have to play in Orono, Maine in late March before you head for the CAA.

You assume the CAA won't make a move before the AEast does. Historically the CAA has been much more proactive than the AEast ever has.

And why does it have to be a Northeast conference? If this realignment has shown us anything, its that regionalization of conferences isn't required anymore.

Oh, OK.........so now Albany is headed to a conference outside the Northeast? That should work out well..............

I know that you are excited about your twin basketball bids and a new 8,500 seat stadium..........but what exactly makes you think that Albany is ready for prime-time???? Might want to at least improve your baseball field so you don't have to play in Orono, Maine in late March before you head for the CAA.

I'm not saying we're 100% ready but arguably no one is ready for this realignment.

Albany would be taking a risk for sure, but no risk no reward.

And as far as baseball goes, no one gives two craps about baseball in realignment. Its basketball and football only driving these decisions.

Oh, OK.........so now Albany is headed to a conference outside the Northeast? That should work out well..............

I'm not saying that, but I'm not ruling it out either.

The MAC is not a northeastern conference, but throw a couple schools in it (Albany, Stony Brook, Delaware, etc..) and all of sudden its a lot more manageable.