UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting read...

"With the FBS level moving toward a separation of haves (SEC, Big Ten, ACC, etc.) and have-nots (the “Group of Five”) some believe the upper tier conferences will eventually break off, leaving the NCAA behind.

“I’ve heard those rumors, but I don’t necessarily believe that,” Strollo said. “I don’t think there will be a formal separation, but clearly, there’s more and more of a separation.”

That could lead the bottom half of the FBS to merge with the upper half of the FCS, something that would require several schools to swallow their pride in hopes of building a substantial second tier.

“I suspect somewhere down the line, there’s going to be a line drawn between the BCS conferences and the bottom half of the FBS and the top half of the FCS,” Viverito said. “It probably makes some sense competitively but I don’t know if it could get done politically."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/apr/14/fcs-mess/

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw an interesting point on the Siena board of all placed and one I hadn't considered. Depending on how UA feels about SBU coming to the CAA could we say we want a package deal with SBU. Additionally if that doesn't work, couldn't we get in and then turn around and vote with the pro-SBU crowd and get them in?

I'm not going to worry about Stony Brook coming with us, or all this 'SUNYs joined at the hip'. We moved to D-I before Bing; SBU went to the Big South without us (may have been our choice); does anybody think they'd wait for us or help us if they got an invite to the MAC?; speaking of which, we haven't played Buffalo in MBB since 1990 and football since 1988. We just have to do what's best for us, and not suck up to the Evil Empires.

I'm not going to worry about Stony Brook coming with us, or all this 'SUNYs joined at the hip'. We moved to D-I before Bing; SBU went to the Big South without us (may have been our choice); does anybody think they'd wait for us or help us if they got an invite to the MAC?; speaking of which, we haven't played Buffalo in MBB since 1990 and football since 1988. We just have to do what's best for us, and not suck up to the Evil Empires.

Point taken, I wasn't suggesting we help them out but rather help ourselves as I think this rivalry is healthy for us. However, we certainly should hold back just because they are in a different spot then us...always do what's best for us and if them coming along is good for us great, if not...no big whoop.

Agreed. Stony Brook would never vouch for us to go into a conference with them if they were moving. New rivalries are built either way. Plus the only real rivalries we have with them is with basketball and football and we will be playing them in football. A new basketball rivalry with Hofstra is fine with me. They're closer to travel to any way.

Edited by UA'08

Interesting read...

"With the FBS level moving toward a separation of haves (SEC, Big Ten, ACC, etc.) and have-nots (the “Group of Five”) some believe the upper tier conferences will eventually break off, leaving the NCAA behind.

“I’ve heard those rumors, but I don’t necessarily believe that,” Strollo said. “I don’t think there will be a formal separation, but clearly, there’s more and more of a separation.”

That could lead the bottom half of the FBS to merge with the upper half of the FCS, something that would require several schools to swallow their pride in hopes of building a substantial second tier.

“I suspect somewhere down the line, there’s going to be a line drawn between the BCS conferences and the bottom half of the FBS and the top half of the FCS,” Viverito said. “It probably makes some sense competitively but I don’t know if it could get done politically."

http://www.vindy.com...pr/14/fcs-mess/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/21/college-football-ncaa-split/2097115/

The best piece written about this talk of seperation, which as the article points out would be years away if at all, with no clarity of how it would be done and if it would be some members or all BCS conferences (all of FBS). As the article states basketball would seen just as large an issue. The BCS conferences (all of FBS) already control the vast majority of BCS money with little trickling down to other divisions, while the units to non-football NCAA bids and subsidizing of other divisions' tournaments takes away a large percentage of the NCAA Tounament pot.

The first priority is associating UA with institutions committed to acedemic excellence. This seems to be a commitment shared by almost all of the institutions in the AE and CAA. Second, if would be wise to team up with institutions which have a bigger view of atheletic achievement. Here, it seems the CAA has a clear edge on the AE. The one problem I have with the CAA is that if you look at it's web site it lists so many members that you have to wonder what the conference is. In the end UA should pick the conference which has a clear definition and all institutions are willing to fund the atheletic programs in order to compete with the big boys.

The AE recruits from D2

The CAA recruits from the AE

The CAA departures are leaving for A10, C-USA and Sun Belt. Clearly the CAA is the jumping off point to better things IF your smart and hustling. Delaware and Hofstra have stagnated but that is a reflection on them not the CAA.

Second, if would be wise to team up with institutions which have a bigger view of atheletic achievement. Here, it seems the CAA has a clear edge on the AE.

Huh??? What is the "clear" edge of those programs remaining? Hofstra softball? W&M tennis? I just don't see much left from those that remain other than a solid history in men's hoops for C of C and great football programs for Delaware, JMU and W&M football for which you are already associated with them for that sport.

Edited by mainejeff

The AE recruits from D2

The CAA recruits from the AE

The CAA departures are leaving for A10, C-USA and Sun Belt. Clearly the CAA is the jumping off point to better things IF your smart and hustling. Delaware and Hofstra have stagnated but that is a reflection on them not the CAA.

Or in the case of Albany, Stony Brook and Binghamton.........D-3.

SoCal, that to me is very telling...who knows maybe it's not much but who these two conferences are adding/looking to add is pretty telling in terms of pecking order.

The only thing keeping the CAA above AE is their geography.........they keep adding sports crazy programs from the South..........the Northern half of the CAA is AE 2.0.

This situation is no different then what happened with CUSA and the former Big East.

Sure, the CAA isn't what it was 2 years ago. Either is the former Big East. But its a domino effect. Should we wait for SBU or someone else in the AEC to jump ship? If we go to the CAA it is because its a preemptive move. The UMass-Lowell acquisition solidified the AEC's role in Northeast Athletics - the spot for Northeast Publics to move up from DII and grow.

Well guess what, we're no longer in that phase of our history. Its time for us to move on since the America East appears to be unwilling to evolve - their choice.

I think most would agree that SBU at some point in the next 5 years will be out of the AE with or without us. What's left for us once our biggest rival moves out? And they will, they are investing to much into all facilities to stay in the AE. When the music stops will we have a chair? Sure, no one knows how well the CAA will do moving forward having lost so much but can it be worse then the AE, nope but with proper funding in the CAA the ceiling is a lot higher.

Edited by Clickclack