UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think most would agree that SBU at some point in the next 5 years will be out of the AE with or without us. What's left for us once our biggest rival moves out? And they will, they are investing to much into all facilities to stay in the AE. When the music stops will we have a chair? Sure, no one knows how well the CAA will do moving forward having lost so much but can it be worse then the AE, nope but with proper funding in the CAA the ceiling is a lot higher.

Agreed. Especially on funding.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may happen but I don't see it being successful.

It appears we have a tough time funding sports properly now, what make us think that out of no where a few more million a year will be budgeted.

Talking the talk is different then walking the walk!!!!

My council is that you will never succeed if you do not try. You never fail if you don't try but you'll also go no where. We have to push forward. A lot of folks never thought Albany would be successful at DII and now D1. By all measures Albany has done extremely well in D1.

Money is always an issue but I don't think the university has done a good job to date raising funds.

Where is the active petitioning of funds? No one from the athletic department has ever called me asking for funds.

Have we really done all we can do in lobbying the state? SBU seems to do much better. It seems we have some room for improvement there as well.

How are we doing on naming rights? Can we rent our facilities like SEFCU or Bob Ford field to bring in revenue?

Increasing funding needs to be taken seriously with full time dedicated resources. Have we brought in consultants to evaluate our current situation and provide some guidance and best practices? We are a long way from fully being a 100% efficient fund raising machine. Our revenue generation process cannot be left to grad students as a part time job.

Git R Done!

Why aren't we doing something like Mercer's fund raising?

http://football.mercer.edu/giving/

Football and Lacrosse Stadium Complex Naming Opportunities

Stadium

Stadium Naming — $5 million

Field — committed

Stadium Entrance Plaza — committed

Lower Concourse Entry (Ground Level) — committed

Press Box Structure — $250,000

Press Level — $100,000

Visitors' Seating Area — $100,000

Visitors' Halftime House --- $100,000

Information/First Aid Room — $20,000

Spirit Shop — $20,000

Field House

Building Naming — committed

Ground Level

Training Center — committed

Study Area — committed

Weight Room — $200,000

Football Locker Room — $200,000

Lacrosse Locker Room — $50,000

TV Lounge — $50,000

Equipment Room — $50,000

Upper Level

Main Lobby — committed

Presidential Suite — committed

Football Head Coach Office — committed

Football Assistant Head Coach Office — committed

Conference Room — committed

Stairwell — committed

Break Room — committed

Elevator — committed

Coaches Locker Room — committed

Team Meeting Room/Multipurpose Room — $150,000

Terrace/Balcony — $100,000

Position Room/Game Day Suites (Large) — $75,000

Position Room/Game Day Suites (Small) — $25,000

Lacrosse Head Coach Office — $50,000

Lacrosse Assistant Coach Office (with window) — $15,000

Football Assistant Coach Offices (4 with window) — $15,000 each

Football Assistant Coach Offices (2 without window) — $10,000 each

Graduate Assistants Area — $10,000

Officials Locker Room — $5,000

Catering Kitchen — $5,000

Complex

Complex Naming — committed

I won't complain about fundraising.... Or lack of because I can't give to much. As the only person working with three little boys in my early 30s while going to school and working full time there aren't to many $$$ to spread around.... I commend those that can. I hope to one day to contribute more then my season tickets and student fee I currently pay.

SoCal_Dane - looks great and would raise a ton of money but who is writing out the checks and why haven't they come forward before this???

I hope the BIG money shows up but based on past performance we have a tough time scraping up loose change.

Stony Brook has had millions donated already - baseball field, fb stadium new weight room facilities etc. plus they have Ken LaValle we have didley squat.

Even Bing has better overall facilities (ie Events Center) then us.

If it wasn't for SEFCU we be under water now.

I hope I'm dead wrong but everyone talks Big Money but I never read about UA Athletics getting Big Money.

I hope I'm dead wrong but everyone talks Big Money but I never read about UA Athletics getting Big Money.

And you are talking big money to play against the likes of W&M, Delaware, Elon, Drexel, Towson, Northeastern, etc.

I still think that football and geography will be the CAA's undoing. You can't have members from Boston to SC with limited revenue coming in. The CAA isn't getting big money from broadcast rights or multiple NCAA bids anytime soon. I love how no one wants to associate with America East...........yet AE has now provided the CAA with 5 of their current 9 members. And those 5 are 0-55 in their quest to get an NCAA bid in the CAA.........sounds like it is individual schools that make a commitment to sports and spending $$$ on sports. Seems like blaming AE is in vogue these days..........but I certainly won't blame AE for Maine's problems. And it is also not the league's fault that basketball members outnumbered football members when they tried to sponsor that sport.

Edited by mainejeff

There are a lot of large donors.

IMO, the key is 100 people willing to give $1000 and attend games, etc. that is more important than the 1 guy that gives $1m.

Those 100 may given $1000 a year or every 5. That $1m is a one-timer in all liklihoood.

BTW, let's not forget we did get large donors when they finally came out publicly about the stadium. There was a $1m anonymous gift to name it Bob Ford Field.

100 x $1,000 = $100,000 a year is chump change.

I'll take the Million up front any time and then keep working on the smaller donors.

Big money is needed or UA will keep nickel and diming things like they do now

Look at all the projects from Fallon Field (no bathrooms, lockerrooms, concessions or enclosed storage areas), Field Hockey no real bleachers or amenities and it goes right on down - nothing gets totally completed in a 1st class fashion.

Now where in PHASE 1 of a Football Stadium (we'll be begging for money in the future to get to the other phases).

Compare SEFCU to the Events Center @ Bing or SBU's new Arena.

If it turns into a question of spending 5mil a year to compete in the CAA or spend 3-4 mil over three years to finish Fellon Field, renovate the SEFCU and start on PhaseII...stay in the AE and build up facilities...

I'm most concerned about SEFCU...it's just not good enough to compete with Bingo Events Center and what SBU is building...

100 x $1,000 = $100,000 a year is chump change.

I'll take the Million up front any time and then keep working on the smaller donors.

Big money is needed or UA will keep nickel and diming things like they do now

Look at all the projects from Fallon Field (no bathrooms, lockerrooms, concessions or enclosed storage areas), Field Hockey no real bleachers or amenities and it goes right on down - nothing gets totally completed in a 1st class fashion.

Now where in PHASE 1 of a Football Stadium (we'll be begging for money in the future to get to the other phases).

Compare SEFCU to the Events Center @ Bing or SBU's new Arena.

Sorry - terrible math. My example was intended to show $1m spread out of a bunch of fans. $1000 by 1000 fans. I just can't do math.