UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Name Change

72, you and I have much in common. I was in San Francisco a few years ago. Visited Golden Gate Park and relived a few great moments of my youth. Maybe the UAlbany White Rabbits? Peace brother.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

72, I continue to look to Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Hemmingway, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mays, Palmer, Nicklous, Jagger, Lennon, The Moody Blues and Captian Kirk for inspiration.

Let's just leave the Great Danes alone.. it's just fine. I also think our name, UAlbany & Albany, is actually gaining recognition now.

We're building our stature. Let's just DROP the AT

http://www.youtube.c...NnyF3wtQ[/media

How about this.... they got a little help from jimmy page on guitar

Edited by uofalbany

A small improvement would be to drop the 'at'. It's just confusing. Albany University. Drop the 'U' as well.

A bigger improvement would be to incorporate 'New York' in the athletics logos (uniforms, field, etc). Maybe a state outline with 'Albany' inside?

The biggest improvement and hardest is an actual name change. We would never get New York State University but its my favorite. I also really like New York Capital University. Kind of follows the Florida model... Atlantic, International and directional but all have Florida in the name.

Very good points. My concerns with the current naming convention are as follows:

1) The current name does not convey that this is an important state university. "Albany" (add your own prefix and/or suffix around Albany) could be a city college or a private college? Dayton comes to mind. Unless your a SUNY grad/family member you have no clue.

2) The US has at least half a dozen "Albany"s, Both my current state (CA) and previous state (GA) have an "Albany". Albany GA and CA are more well known in those states than Albany NY so its confusing. If you say Albany to someone in San Francisco or Atlanta they'll think your talking about their local Albany.

3) There is another college with "Albany". Albany State in Georgia. How long before their D1?... they'll probably beat us to FBS at this pace.

4) The current scandals in the capital tarnish all things Albany. That includes our alma mater. Fair or not I think it hurts us.

5) My father-in-law and most of my wife's family are Wisconsin grads. I think they're typical of others outside of NY. They have never heard of UAlbany. The name makes it sounds small in stature. They graduated from the university of Wisconsin and this is the college of Albany? Who cares about Albany? Leave city named universities to large cities like Chicago, San Diego or LA. Albany, Scranton or Dayton don't bring forth a well of positive feelings and would be best off skipping the local town name.

6) SUNY doesn't get credit for much of what our alma mater (or other SUNY Centers) produces since the article rarely includes "SUNY" or any equivilent. Albany is in the tag line with a few words before and after it but "New York" isn't often included. Doesn't that work against the goal of presenting the achievments of New York's state university? SUNY would have a much better name recognition if we consistently was included in the article. Think if all the Binghamton, Albany, Buffalo and SBU published articles or quoted work all had a consistent name like University of California does? UC

I'm not saying the name will be changed or should be changed other than dropping the 'at' and 'U' and just go with Albany University. I just think stopping at "Albany University" still leaves us in a marketing hole. It's so much easier to sell 'New York' than 'Albany'. Ask any marketing expert for their opinion.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

One last point.

I don't know what the Nano College's problem is with UA but I'm wondering if the university name is part of it? They think the Nano College is the next MIT. SUNY wants to capitalize on this huge potential. I think they want "SUNY" or "New York" in the name not Albany. Give them SUNY or New York in our name and maybe that'll be enough to keep the college under our university?

If they spin off the Nano College I'll be shocked if "Albany" is anywhere in the name.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

For a logo, use ALBANY , or would people think we're from the city of Alba?

I love this... Simple, ties name to state...

Agreed. I like University of New York.

I also favor incorporating the shape of NY in logos, etc. See, e.g., North Carolina's center-court logo on its basketball court.

Not a fan of the AlbaNY logo. Looks weird to me.

The University of New York would be ideal IMO. Simple and classy. Wish we could get approval to do that. It's BS that we can't...the University centers should have autonomy in these matters, especially when the SUNY colleges often brand themselves as Universities...like SUNY at Brockport.

I must be missing something on this thread? Why would we want to be the "University of New York"; without adding @Albany (or something similar)? How would we be perceived and recognized as different from Buffalo, brook, bingo or even Brockport for that matter?? How would a recruit from California or Georgia know who the heck we even are????????

Personally, I'm not ready to give up "UA - UKnow" the "UA..UA UA UA...UA...UA" soccer chant or even "It's a Great Day to be a Great Dane."

We may not have a tremendous identity but people know who we are. When we were at the NCAA tournament in Columbus a few years ago Ohio State fans knew who Albany was from the UConn game. Lacrosse fans certainly know who Albany is. I'm not sure it's worth it to change that. If you're good enough at what you do, people will learn your name, see Louisville or Pitt.

I agree having a name with a mid-size upstate NY city might not be the sexiest college name in the world but RPI and Syracuse have both made it work pretty well.

At this point, with NCAA tourney appearance in just about every sport, we are who we are. We're purple, we're Great Danes and we're UAlbany.