UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Maximizing Damien - Logo Change

Perusing this site before watching some cuts and noticed that Kansas Jayhawks, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and a few other VERY legendary sports programs, have logos that you may also find offensive and "jokey"

http://www.sportslogos.net/leagues/list_by_category/14/American_Colleges_-_NCAA/logos/

A Jayhawk is fictitious. A lifelike yellowjacket would gross people out. On the Delaware board there's an ongoing debate over which version of the chicken to use. But I agree with you, some 'legendary' programs (Georgia Tech, really?) have stupid-looking logos. We don't have to be one of them.

Almost all the dog logos look like the type of dog they're supposed to be; even if some of the bulldogs are caricatures, they're made to look tougher than real life, not like puppies.

Or are you some kind of cat person?

I have two dogs, thank you very much, including a rescue.

Have you ever seen a Great Dane? They're a pretty goofy looking dog and are about as sweet as possible. The cartoon logo we have, has him narrowing his eyes and sorta sneering. It definitely looks tougher than a real one..and probably slobbers a lot less. Those things are drool factories.

This is from the CAA! thread:

Here are some more options:

1)

jdza.jpg

2)

i0ub.jpg

3)

oxcw.jpg

4)

8d6y.jpg

5)

dxyl.jpg

6)

rzmn.jpg

7)

a8x5.jpg

8)

38mx.jpg

Per Daryl_B's request;

9wm3.jpg

pc8n.jpg

Edited by Ilko

I have two dogs, thank you very much, including a rescue.

Have you ever seen a Great Dane? They're a pretty goofy looking dog and are about as sweet as possible. The cartoon logo we have, has him narrowing his eyes and sorta sneering. It definitely looks tougher than a real one..and probably slobbers a lot less. Those things are drool factories.

Sweet? yes. Goofy? Not a chance.

IMG_0693.ss_full.jpg

And yes, I know that Fred LeBrun, a Times-Union writer who was a student here when the Great Dane was made the mascot, has described them as 'a large, unaggressive dog prone to permanent drool, hip dysplasia, and early death'. But he's ours, and until you change the mascot, he deserves all respect.

When I was in school, friends from other colleges would say "Your mascot is a great dane???' They thought it was kinda funny and kinda cool. Different than all the BS wildcats and bulldogs and cougars and other generic stuff.

I think being able to have some fun with who you are is a sign of strength and confidence. Conversely, to reply on a angry or boringly dignified statue of a dog as a logo moves the ball (sorry for the pun) not one iota for this basically no-name school from upstate NY. Which, let's be honest...we are. We've built awesome teams and have badass players who work their butt off to win. I don't think thy need some rigid image of a dog to make them feel tough. And I certainly don't think making Damien family-friendly and media friendly will make other people think they're soft. But if so, great. We'll leave a Damien t-shirt behind after we wipe them off the field.