UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Danefan I 100% agree with you. My whole point is that outside of the media relations and fundraising, McCarthy has experience and success in most of those other topics. I just hate the idea when people think there is something special about coaches who work at a higher level and that they are more qualified for a Head Coaching position. Obviously if they prior head coaching experience that is different. But to hire an FBS coordinator with no HC experience as opposed to the one we have b/c we may think they are more qualified is crazy talk.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danefan I 100% agree with you. My whole point is that outside of the media relations and fundraising, McCarthy has experience and success in most of those other topics. I just hate the idea when people think there is something special about coaches who work at a higher level and that they are more qualified for a Head Coaching position. Obviously if they prior head coaching experience that is different. But to hire an FBS coordinator with no HC experience as opposed to the one we have b/c we may think they are more qualified is crazy talk.

A high level FBS coordinator may have more advanced media relations and fundraising skills. Its the nature of the beast at those places. I don't think being at a BCS schools makes you better at Xs and Os though. Especially when you're comparing to someone who has spent 10 years under Coach Ford.

• 1 month later...

The hubbub on gohens.net is that there was a lot of talk on Saturday that KC Keeler will be named our new Head Coach at season's end.

He led Delaware to multiple national championship games and he knows the CAA. Currently working as a color commentator for ESPN. It would be an interesting hire.

Huh. Would be a super interesting hire.

I am NOT a massive fan because of some of his previous way of going about business at his DIII stop. However, he was successful and he most definitely has a "NAME" for recruits. I think his offense was a bit vanilla at times.

That said, it would be a big name for us...BIG.

Edited by Dane96

KC Keeler believes big time in FBS transfers as does Chuck Priore. Nothing will get UA up to speed quicker than 10 FBS & JUCO transfers along with the scholarship kids. On a side note #32 our red shirt LB Ngachie (sp ??) is a killer. He should of been starting since day 1. He has got good size and more importantly great speed.

I was a little surprised he was canned in the first place.

Looking at his annual wins/losses at Delaware, he was ready for another UP year in 2013.

Abundant head coaching experience and success in the CAA and prior..... already established

with recruiting pipelines... and only one short year removed from the helm at Delaware

How legitimate is the 'talk' on gohens? If anyone would be in the 'know', it would be Delaware fans I guess.

While I like his established track record, going an older established coach feels like a stop gap solution vs. building on something.

If we go stop gap, I'd rather get someone younger who builds Albany and then leaves for a larger FBS job, showing that Albany can be a stepping stone to larger things, vs. someone who just landed here because he got canned at a larger program.

Ideally we get someone young who can build it themselves and stay, but my hope in McCarthy being that guy imploded with the absolute ugliness and unadaptive play calling.

On a side note, isn't it time we move on from Fiacchi and try a downer or a Smith? The Season is lost anyway.

I'm notII';dfd

While I like his established track record, going an older established coach feels like a stop gap solution vs. building on something.

If we go stop gap, I'd rather get someone younger who builds Albany and then leaves for a larger FBS job, showing that Albany can be a stepping stone to larger things, vs. someone who just landed here because he got canned at a larger program.

Ideally we get someone young who can build it themselves and stay, but my hope in McCarthy being that guy imploded with the absolute ugliness and unadaptive play calling.

On a side note, isn't it time we move on from Fiacchi and try a downer or a Smith? The Season is lost anyway.

I'm not a huge Keeler guy--like Danefan, I'd interview him as part of a very shortlist--but your post is a bit off. K.C. Keeler is young--he's 54 years old. If that's old in the football coaching world...that's crazy. As for Downer-- why would you blow your redshirt year on a kid who could be the future of the program. The positive in Keeler is that he will quickly build up the Albany program to respectability, which is a strong suit because you don't want to go 5 years of being in the dumper; tough to recruit that way. Keeler, Ambrose, and Fiore are very similar. The reason I would like a Keeler-type is because we would be striking while the iron's hot: new stadium, lot's of playing time, new staff, nice crowds= easy pitch.

Tried to look up the Hen House for when Keeler left, but it says 'keeler' is too common to search. Anyway he only made the playoffs four times in eleven years, had multiple six-loss seasons, was known for using a LOT of FBS transfers. Also I seem to remember talk of bad personal relationships with the President, AD, his country club, yada yada. Of course there are some chronic complainers on that board, too, so who knows how true much of the talk is. Safe to say there may be some culture shock both for him and us if he comes here.

Tried to look up the Hen House for when Keeler left, but it says 'keeler' is too common to search. Anyway he only made the playoffs four times in eleven years, had multiple six-loss seasons, was known for using a LOT of FBS transfers. Also I seem to remember talk of bad personal relationships with the President, AD, his country club, yada yada. Of course there are some chronic complainers on that board, too, so who knows how true much of the talk is. Safe to say there may be some culture shock both for him and us if he comes here.

I think that will be the case if anyone else gets hired other than McCarthy or Christ. Even a Bob Ford guy is going to have the foundation of Coach Ford, but will have undoubtedly evolved along the way as well.

Take a guy like Billy Crocker - the DC at Villanova. He's a Bob Ford guy working for a Bob Ford guy now (Andy Talley). I'm sure even he would do things differently.

But in all honesty, we would have needed to change the way we do things already even if Coach Ford didn't leave. The Juco and FBS transfers would be the first thing to change dramatically.

.. I seem to remember talk of bad personal relationships with the President, AD, his country club, yada yada. Of course there are some chronic complainers on that board, too, so who knows how true much of the talk is.

That's the reason why I stopped reading their posts.

The positive in Keeler is that he will quickly build up the Albany program to respectability, which is a strong suit because you don't want to go 5 years of being in the dumper; tough to recruit that way...... The reason I would like a Keeler-type is because we would be striking while the iron's hot: new stadium, lot's of playing time, new staff, nice crowds= easy pitch.

I'm not sold on Keeler, yet, but I agree with the above wholeheartedly.

No matter who they bring in they need to ramp up fast. As stated before we are now in an "Arms Race" to not become Rhode Island. I think Dane 96 said it correctly we cant be at the bottom of the heap in 5 years. We need to be challenging for an at berth or an outright CAA title within 2 years. If done correctly by the new coach, we should win immediately. With these facilities and the JUCO/FBS transfer route we should win no less than 7 games next season. It took one season for Maine to become a power. For the record, the CAA is not that big of a deal outside of Towson this year.

Edited by Ruler

I'm notII';dfd

I'm not a huge Keeler guy--like Danefan, I'd interview him as part of a very shortlist--but your post is a bit off. K.C. Keeler is young--he's 54 years old. If that's old in the football coaching world...that's crazy. As for Downer-- why would you blow your redshirt year on a kid who could be the future of the program. The positive in Keeler is that he will quickly build up the Albany program to respectability, which is a strong suit because you don't want to go 5 years of being in the dumper; tough to recruit that way. Keeler, Ambrose, and Fiore are very similar. The reason I would like a Keeler-type is because we would be striking while the iron's hot: new stadium, lot's of playing time, new staff, nice crowds= easy pitch.

Ahh..didnt know that Downer was redshirted. Standing down.

As far as the age thing, I just mean I'd rather have a first time coach who succeeded at a program as an OC or a DC, than someone who already brings their own baggage.

"Pretty much everything I have said and claimed about Keeler, can probably be confirmed by a few members on this board. Am I speaking a lie when I say there have been multiple 6 loss seasons, no playoffs for 7 out of 11 years, failures in recruiting that have significantly hurt the football program? Am I making up the fact that high school coaches didn't want to send their players to Delaware because of him? Am I lying by saying that he ran players out of the program and gave up on them without giving them a chance to develop? Did he not continuously blame his players for losses? Or am I just making these things up out of this alleged "hatred"? Am I telling stories that KC had to rely on transfer quarterbacks? It's fiction when I say he made poor decisions and wasn't a good in-game coach? "

Found this off the gohens board. If Keeler was doing these things above then I would rather not see him as the next coach.