UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Liberty's coach Turner Gill?

Love what he did at SUNY Buffalo. By all accounts a great individual too.

He's getting paid a ridiculous amount at Liberty and we aren't a step up from Liberty. Our conference is, but our program is not. Liberty has one foot out the door to FBS as soon as a spot opens up in the Sun Belt.

Long time reader, first time poster. Ryan McCarthy or Pete Rossomando would be the only two guys who would make me happy as Coach Ford's successor. Those guys were around for most all of the Danes recent success, McCarthy for the longest. I understand that some people want a national search, but my question is why? We have an unbelievable young coach on staff who could possibly be around for a long time.

I couldn't be any more of a Ford guy. He is the only reason I chose to coach as a career. But we all need to be honest with ourselves, we have been as successful as we have over the past decade because of our assistants. Rosso, McCarthy, Jeff Haf, Christ, Billy Crocker, Evans, Bannigan, etc. These are the guys pushing the ship along. Any HC is only as good as his assistants, and we have/had some of the best in the country. Those guys executed the game plans to beat Joe Flacco at Delaware with no scholarship players. (I understand we got them that year, but just b/c we got the scholarships we were still playing with recruited non-scholarship players). These guys have been beating and competing against the "big boys" for the last 7 years with limited schollys, imagine what they are capable of with a team full of scholarship athletes. Why bring in a coach who knows nothing about Albany or recruiting the northeast? Remember, just b/c coaches are at big time schools does not make them big time coaches. I've met some pretty terrible ones over the years at "big time" schools. The last thing this program needs is to bail on the guys who have gotten us to where we are. Continuity is extremely important in this transition. Forget about coaches from the NEC, particularly from the school down in CT. He is a fool. I have plenty more to say on this topic, but I think(hope) I have gotten my point across. Keep It Simple Stupid, Ryan McCarthy is a no brainier.

Thanks for the opportunity to join the conversation.

Long time reader, first time poster. Ryan McCarthy or Pete Rossomando would be the only two guys who would make me happy as Coach Ford's successor. Those guys were around for most all of the Danes recent success, McCarthy for the longest. I understand that some people want a national search, but my question is why? We have an unbelievable young coach on staff who could possibly be around for a long time.

I couldn't be any more of a Ford guy. He is the only reason I chose to coach as a career. But we all need to be honest with ourselves, we have been as successful as we have over the past decade because of our assistants. Rosso, McCarthy, Jeff Haf, Christ, Billy Crocker, Evans, Bannigan, etc. These are the guys pushing the ship along. Any HC is only as good as his assistants, and we have/had some of the best in the country. Those guys executed the game plans to beat Joe Flacco at Delaware with no scholarship players. (I understand we got them that year, but just b/c we got the scholarships we were still playing with recruited non-scholarship players). These guys have been beating and competing against the "big boys" for the last 7 years with limited schollys, imagine what they are capable of with a team full of scholarship athletes. Why bring in a coach who knows nothing about Albany or recruiting the northeast? Remember, just b/c coaches are at big time schools does not make them big time coaches. I've met some pretty terrible ones over the years at "big time" schools. The last thing this program needs is to bail on the guys who have gotten us to where we are. Continuity is extremely important in this transition. Forget about coaches from the NEC, particularly from the school down in CT. He is a fool. I have plenty more to say on this topic, but I think(hope) I have gotten my point across. Keep It Simple Stupid, Ryan McCarthy is a no brainier.

Thanks for the opportunity to join the conversation.

Welcome, hope you stay active on these forums, always great to have most posters. As a fan observing the program from a distance, I don't know any of the personalities you speak of but you make a convincing case and seems logical. If internal candidates can coach then it would be great to keep it in-house.

18 made some darn good points. Ryan has been around Ford and the program for twice as long as Peter, and Ryan is still with us. One could argue that Ryan's success in his position at the fcs level is just as impressive, if not more, than Rossomando's.

Sorry to be harsh here, but the reality is we've done nothing on a national scale in FCS.

In fact, we have never been a national force at any level.

Coach Ford has had great teams at the lower end of each level we've played at. Not a knock on him, because we've never been put in a position to play at the highest end of any of the levels.

The CAA is a much different world.

Ask yourself what is the goal now? To merely make the playoffs? Or to win a National Championship?

Of course it is to compete in the national playoffs. But, that does not mean we abandone ship and look somewhere else for a coach. A good coach is a good coach at any level and we have one of the best in Ryan McCarthy. Just bc he is at Albany doesn't mean he is not on the level of "big time" coaches from around the country. X's and O's don't change from level to level. Football is football.

Of course it is to compete in the national playoffs. But, that does not mean we abandone ship and look somewhere else for a coach. A good coach is a good coach at any level and we have one of the best in Ryan McCarthy. Just bc he is at Albany doesn't mean he is not on the level of "big time" coaches from around the country. X's and O's don't change from level to level. Football is football.

Agreed.

Whether or not McCarthy's play calling been of the caliber of a national championship coach is a question for McElrpy and President Jones to decide.

But you know, as well as I, that Xs and Os are only a part of being a Division I head coach.

Media relations, recruiting, alumni relations, politics, and fundraising make up the other part. You can hire great coordinators to work for you. You cannot hire a guy to give your quotes to then paper or visit your #1 recruit's house, or court your alumni for donations.

I'm not advocating either way. I hope anyone who is hired has the whole package.

Edited by danefan