UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like they have their choices...and are ready to roll if they are closing the apps. I would suspect interviews will start at the end of the season and continue for any coach who may still be in the playoffs if it is an FCS Asst.

I suspect most of the assistants interviewed during their Bye weeks.......

Yep, didn't even think of that....

You have to think Jones and McElroy want this person named ASAP...and let the recruiting mayhem get off on the right foot. This recruiting class is the most important in UA history. Flat out.

BTW, I was at Phys Therapy yesterday...and low and behold, former UA Linebacker Ryan Tumbry was there as well. Small world.

Lord...you have to love this man. You know the emotions are building, however he just said he doesn't want the fact that UNH will be his last home game to get in the way of the task. Also said he underestimated how hard and physical the CAA was...specifically Towson. Said we lost the Maine game...they didn't win the game.

Funny quip, when asked about a big crowd for UNH--again being his last game you'd expect good numbers--he states, "Coach McDonnell of UNH is a Saratoga boy, so he will bring down his Irish friends to help...".

Humble and funny until the end...

I know this is a little off subject but last night I caught a quick few minutes of the Buffalo - Toledo game. I found it quite odd that as much as Buffalo tries to hold itself away from the other SUNY universities that on their jerseys that had a big insignia that read State University of New York Buffalo. In this case New York was in much larger print then any of the other words including Buffalo.Are they now making the play to be the most identified SUNY university?

Yes.

Buffalo realized something that is obvious to any native non-New Yorker like myself.

No one outside of New York cares about Buffalo, Albany or Stony Brook. Most folks don't even know what a Stony a Brook is.

In New York these are university centers but in most states the city named schools are lesser schools to the "University of X" or "X State" schools.

Buffalo is latching onto State University of New York because it sounds like U of Michigan, U of Virginia etc. Toledo for example sounds small relative to Ohio State.

This has been much discussed. Albany needs to be doing the same or else risk losing it to Buffalo some day

I get that, but I on the other hand HATE when they say SUNY Albany. UAlbany is where it's at. Similar to UMass or UM (Miami)...some day we'll get there ;)

The problem is UAlbany isn't like UMass or UM.

UNY would be like UMass. No one says UMass-Amherst. When you say UMass you know what UMass you're talking about. We're more like UMass-Dartmouth. Awesome.

And Miami is a bird of a different color as a private school.

I know this is a little off subject but last night I caught a quick few minutes of the Buffalo - Toledo game. I found it quite odd that as much as Buffalo tries to hold itself away from the other SUNY universities that on their jerseys that had a big insignia that read State University of New York Buffalo. In this case New York was in much larger print then any of the other words including Buffalo.Are they now making the play to be the most identified SUNY university?

Slightly off topic, but I am a little amazed that Buffalo will likely have one of their players (Khalil Mack) picked in the first round of the NFL Draft this year...possibly in the top 15.

More cred for the SUNYs?

I get that, but I on the other hand HATE when they say SUNY Albany. UAlbany is where it's at. Similar to UMass or UM (Miami)...some day we'll get there ;)

I cringe when I hear UAlbany. Most non-Yorkers are repulsed by it. From Georgia to California I hear the same complaints when I wear logo'd apparel.

1) Why add the 'U? It's not UToledo or UPitt? At least Connecticut and Mass are states so their oddity is a bit less weird.

2) What is UAlbany? If it's a flagship why doesn't it follow normal naming convention? The city name implies its a lower university like Kennesaw State to University of Georgia.

3) Is this a city college? If it's a state school where is the state's name? UCLA doesn't follow the convention but the 'UC' stands for University of California. UC is the top state university all others are City X State (Fresno State, San Diego State etc)

4) Universally there is a blank stare with UAlbany. I chalk that up to New York having an absurd 64... check that 65 campuses. It's too many and creates too much noise.

We beat this topic to death over the years but I hold out hope that someday someone in power will come to their senses like what appears to be happening at UBuffalo... I mean New York.

Slightly off topic, but I am a little amazed that Buffalo will likely have one of their players (Khalil Mack) picked in the first round of the NFL Draft this year...possibly in the top 15.

More cred for the SUNYs?

I watch a lot of Buffalo football as an alumnus of both Buffalo and Albany. Khalil Mack is an animal and the real deal. Look at his stats from the Ohio State game earlier this year. :)