UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I get that, but I on the other hand HATE when they say SUNY Albany. UAlbany is where it's at. Similar to UMass or UM (Miami)...some day we'll get there ;)

I cringe when I hear UAlbany. Most non-Yorkers are repulsed by it. From Georgia to California I hear the same complaints when I wear logo'd apparel.

1) Why add the 'U? It's not UToledo or UPitt? At least Connecticut and Mass are states so their oddity is a bit less weird.

2) What is UAlbany? If it's a flagship why doesn't it follow normal naming convention? The city name implies its a lower university like Kennesaw State to University of Georgia.

3) Is this a city college? If it's a state school where is the state's name? UCLA doesn't follow the convention but the 'UC' stands for University of California. UC is the top state university all others are City X State (Fresno State, San Diego State etc)

4) Universally there is a blank stare with UAlbany. I chalk that up to New York having an absurd 64... check that 65 campuses. It's too many and creates too much noise.

We beat this topic to death over the years but I hold out hope that someday someone in power will come to their senses like what appears to be happening at UBuffalo... I mean New York.

How is UAlbany different from UToledo or UPitt? I'm not following. It's the EXACT same naming convention...U+CityName. Also, how is that not a 'normal' naming convention. We are THE University in this city.

Yes, I know we aren't on the same level as these schools but going into the future, being at the one of the top conferences of the FCS, I don't see why we can't use the name just like the big BCS schools do.

Many schools use the U+CityName convention. Here are the big/famous ones, be it present or past.

University of Pittsburgh

University of Toledo

University of Miami

University of Cincinatti

University of Tulsa

University of Memphis

University of Houston

And even ones like University of Central Florida.

UAlbany needs to be the name we pursue. I disagree with anyone who states otherwise. I do agree that we have too many schools in the state though (however, we are one of the biggest states). I am against using SUNY anywhere in the name of our athletic teams.

Universally? Doubt it.

Edited by Ilko

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard UPitt - the scoreboards just say "Pitt". "UAlbany" is supposed be an "informal" nickname, probably so headline writers can use the school name without confusing it with Albany High. It should only be used locally, not anything that goes statewide or nationally.

(I note that both UPitt and UAlbany get warnings from my spell check).

When we've played national TV games we are always known as just Albany.

Exactly... and for good reason. The national media is not going there. If you like your name you can keep it. Period. (as long as it's 'Albany' not UAlbany)

Maybe we're just trend setters? USiena, URPI, UStonyBrook anyone?... UUCLA?

Albany and/or UAlbany, it's up for debate.

Alls I say is drop the AT & add OF!

AT sounds ridiculous & stop attaching SUNY to our university name.

University of Albany

Albany University

Take your pick.

I never want to see 'SUNY University at Albany' in print, anywhere.

Edited by uofalbany

When we've played national TV games we are always known as just Albany.

Correct. And that's fine. I never heard Toledo or Pitt refered to as UToledo or UPitt but it was brought up before my post so I ran with it.

Point is, our formal name should be University of Albany and our athletics name on TV, etc. should be "Albany". That is all. Drop that SUNY crap from EVERY school in the system. It is not needed. There are plenty of state school across the country that have short names not that drawn out garbage we call State University of New York at *insert here*. It's dumb.

On my resume, I have University of Albany. Looks 100% better, whether they know the true name of it or not.

Albany and/or UAlbany, it's up for debate.

Alls I say is drop the AT & add OF!

AT sounds ridiculous & stop attaching SUNY to our university name.

University of Albany

Albany University

Take your pick.

I never want to see 'SUNY University at Albany' in print, anywhere.

This. I'm fine with just Albany as well. My point is we shouldn't have SUNY anywhere like UofAlbany states. In 100% agreement.

Edited by Ilko

If I ran onto the field during the game would it be left to a UNH player to tackle me? (I think even I might be able to shake a UA "tackle".)

Might be the worst tackling team I've ever seen. Ford said we missed 25 tackles last week. His words were "unheard of" to miss that many tackles in one game.