UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hopefully we get more kids of his caliber playing next year (I don't know who all the redshirts are) and start to develop something special.

We were just out matched this year...our kids aren't on the same level as the rest of the CAA. That includes IQ, ability, etc.

It'll get better. Then again, can't get much worse than this year.

Although, we did cost ourselves like 3-4 wins with mistakes at the end of games.

Quick question for all--how will a new head coach and coaching staff affect current scholarship players, if at all?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully we get more kids of his caliber playing next year (I don't know who all the redshirts are) and start to develop something special.

We were just out matched this year...our kids aren't on the same level as the rest of the CAA. That includes IQ, ability, etc.

It'll get better. Then again, can't get much worse than this year.

Although, we did cost ourselves like 3-4 wins with mistakes at the end of games.

Quick question for all--how will a new head coach and coaching staff affect current scholarship players, if at all?

Probably won't change anything in the first year. But each scholarship is a one-year contract so they could in the next years change the scholarship structure.

Oh so if you get a scholarship you aren't guaranteed a spot for 4 years (or 5 if you redshirt)? I didn't know that. Or is it only up to the player to terminate the scholarship.

My understanding is that they are renewed annually...normally it's frowned upon if you run a player off so typically there is a sit down and the kid is told what his role is going to be. If it doesn't jive with what the kid want's sometimes the kid will chose to leave. Schools can also chose to let a kid go if he isn't performing academically or is otherwise a distraction/problem/behavior.

Edited by Clickclack

Oh so if you get a scholarship you aren't guaranteed a spot for 4 years (or 5 if you redshirt)? I didn't know that. Or is it only up to the player to terminate the scholarship.

Scholarships are one year agreements.

It is up to the school, but as click said, kids rarely lose scholarships and choose to stay on so the termination of the scholarship generally coincides with the player leaving.

Yes, he said that on Wyland's show yesterday. In response to "what'll you do next week" he said next week on Cape Cod for Thanksgiving with his wife's kids, take the next six months to clean out his office, and stick around to help with fundraising.

The treasure trove that is that office.

I'd love to see some of the things he finds in there.

"Well, would ya' look at that (insert "huh" style laugh followed by a smile). A note from Bobby Bowden asking how I keep my kids out of trouble, for the most part". ;)

They should do a short hour t.v. story about his clearing out the office. The one-liners, stories and humbleness would be endearing to many."

Edited by Dane96