UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• 4 weeks later...

While Channel 6 had cameras in Loudonville for their loss, they mentioned that the Albany men's soccer team got their first-ever win against a ranked team, beating #22 Fairleigh Dickinson 2-1 in the first soccer game at Bob Ford Field. No attendance in the box score, but stadium cam photo looked like maybe 500 fans, more than I'd usually suspect.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209260854&DB_OEM_ID=15800

Although not one of the more followed programs, field hockey won twice more this weekend, so their #13 national ranking should only get better.

They are currently one of only six undefeated teams in the country, and their next four games (in order) are against LCC, Lafayette, Lehigh, and Sacred Heart, so they have a good chance to be 9-0 when HOSTING a highly ranked Stanford team in a couple of weeks.

Also, their top two scorers are a freshman and a sophomore...

Although not one of the more followed programs, field hockey won twice more this weekend, so their #13 national ranking should only get better.

They are currently one of only six undefeated teams in the country, and their next four games (in order) are against LCC, Lafayette, Lehigh, and Sacred Heart, so they have a good chance to be 9-0 when HOSTING a highly ranked Stanford team in a couple of weeks.

Also, their top two scorers are a freshman and a sophomore...

Don't you have to win the next game by double difits just to maintain the ranking. :D If possible I think the poll voters have even less respect for that oppenent (LCC) than I do :D

Edited by bob87

While Channel 6 had cameras in Loudonville for their loss, they mentioned that the Albany men's soccer team got their first-ever win against a ranked team, beating #22 Fairleigh Dickinson 2-1 in the first soccer game at Bob Ford Field. No attendance in the box score, but stadium cam photo looked like maybe 500 fans, more than I'd usually suspect.

http://www.ualbanysp...DB_OEM_ID=15800

Looked like at least 500 to me and a great first win in the new stadium

Thoughts on tonight's Siena vs. UAlbany men's soccer match:

1. Result. Siena won 2-1 in overtime. Though leading 1-0 at the half, UAlbany let Siena tie the game in regulation. Then, during the second ten-minute overtime, Siena scored a goal to win 2-1.

2. Attendance/Crowd. Great crowd tonight at the BOFO for the match. Siena fans and students filled up about sections 101-103; UA fans filled the rest of the lower deck. Some of the crowd left at halftime, but attendance was just under 2,000 (see post below).

3. Analysis of the Match.

[ a ] I am by no means an expert of soccer, but I was impressed with the quality of play by both teams. UA's ability to pass and trap the ball and work as a team was beyond what I was expecting for college soccer (at least for the first half). At times, I wish our USA team controlled the ball as effectively. The offensive firepower at this level isn't the same as what we might see on TV (not as many dynamic play-makers), but the midfielders' play was far better than I was expecting.

[ b ] Tonight I saw my first UA soccer match, and I look forward to attending as many matches as I can. Even a casual fan of soccer (me) will enjoy UAlbany soccer. I encourage all of you to check out a match. It's a good excuse to get to the BOFO and a chance to sit wherever you want to sit and try out different seats.

[ c ] We seemed to control possession in the first half and seemed to be the better team. We had several set pieces (corner kicks), and we scored our first goal off a corner kick (header).

[ d ] In the first half, Siena seemed to sit back and pack the box, while looking for a counter utilizing their #7 (who would later score the game-winning goal). Perhaps our dominating possession in the first half was due to Siena's strategy, but I'm not so sure. We looked very quick and agile in the first half.

[ e ] In the second half, you could feel Siena coming at us. The roles changed, and we were either fatigued or playing a pack-the-box defense-and-counter type of match. The more the game progressed, the more I was convinced that we had lost a step or fatigued.

[ f ] IMHO, in overtime, it was clear to me (and perhaps only me) that Siena was in better shape than us. We had no answer for #7. Siena's #7 flew past us on the final two rushes for Siena, with #7 putting in the game winner on the second rush. We contained #7 in the first half, but we just couldn't keep up with him in overtime.

[ g ] During the second half, we seemed to be playing a 1-5-4 maybe? I think we got way too passive and defensive-minded in the second half. But what do I know.

(4) Final Thought. As the game progressed, Siena outworked us and out ran us. If it's effort (I don't think lack of effort was our issue), shame on us. And it's not speed or talent because I watched the first half. If it's fatigue, well then ... .

Thoughts from those who also attended (perhaps those who know more about soccer than I)?

Edited by UA_MA_2000

• 3 weeks later...

Saw how talented but inconsistent UA volleyball is against UMBC last night. They lost two close sets, then came alive and played blazingly well for two sets and lead in the fifth before faltering in the last few points.

Young team that will get better as the year goes on.