UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Attendance (Home Opener)  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"I am watching the replay now...and while Fiacchi did not have his best outing and our kicker was awful, this is all on McCarthy's horrific play calling. Utterly the worst play calling I have seen in a long time. And hen he did have some success, what did he do? He went back to the vanilla."

Agree absolutely, but "Fiacchi did not have his best outing" is a kindly understatement . . . he was predictable and ineffective, taking too much time to make decisions, forcing throws when (a) he had 10-12-15 yards open in front of him but was determined to pass no matterwhat and (B) the throws had to go far beyond the receiver because of URI tight coverage (a surprise to many, I think). No spark. The team OBVIOUSLY responded with some energy and success with Meek, and when Osburn could get some steady work (252 yards last week, ignored quite often this week except "here and there," except with Meek as the other running threat) . . . in the 3rd and 4th quarters, when Fiacchi was overthrowing, waiting too long, etc., and it was again another 4th down, I saw some of the linemen kicking the dirt (or whatever it is) and shaking their heads. Not encouraging. But the engine revved up with Meek. (As good a running threat that he is, I assume he's not the stronger passer.)

The Ford quote in the TU this morning says ALOT . . . of course, Coach Ford being Coach Ford, he's going to say that he will carry the responsibility . . . but before that he flat out says that he, the HC, wanted to go for the score at the end (I think that was achievable) but the OC wanted to play for the OT and they were "not on the same page" . . . why couldn't the HC give a "direct order" of sorts: "Stop this nonsense now -- go for the score!"

All that said, I loved the whole atmosphere, energy of the crowd, a berm full mostly of students, and walking back to the car hearing someone behind

me in a group saying something like, "That was like going to a real college football game."

I'll be there Saturday night. Never give up.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YNN video

ABC Channel 10 pregame video

The Times-Union Center has a capacity of 17,500 - 15,229 for basketball, somewhat less for hockey and arena football. Saratoga Race Course has 6,600 seats and Saratoga Performing Arts Center 5,100, both with grass/picnic capacity of 20,000+, but of course they aren't suitable for sports events. Otherwise I think Bob Ford Field is the largest outdoor venue between UMass-Amherst, West Point, and Colgate.

Edited by UAalum72

YNN video

ABC Channel 10 pregame video

The Times-Union Center has a capacity of 17,500 - 15,229 for basketball, somewhat less for hockey and arena football. Saratoga Race Course has 6,600 seats and Saratoga Performing Arts Center 5,100, both with grass/picnic capacity of 20,000+, but of course they aren't suitable for sports events. Otherwise I think Bob Ford Field is the largest outdoor venue between UMass-Amherst, West Point, and Colgate.

Even more reason it should seat 10,000-12,000.

I really wish they would have listed the official attendance at 11,000 or whatever it really was and not the 8,500 capacity.

11,000 would have made it a lot easier to average a respectable number in this down year on the field.

That game proved us all right though.....build it and they will come. My dad was downstairs in the concourse at one point stretching out and sparked up a conversation with a guy watching from under the upper deck. The guy was a local resident from off Western. He said he was quite vocally opposed to the idea of the stadium a few years ago. Came to check it out and had a great time. He's coming back next week with his whole family.

Those are the fans that will fill this place up year after year. I brought family friends up from the Lower Hudson valley that haven't been to a game since I played 10 years ago. They already bought their tickets for homecoming. They loved it. They have zero connection to the university or the football program now. They just and a good time and want to do it again.

I do not understand why Berm seats are not counted??? Technically those "seats" are paid for by first niagara and should be counted in our attendance figures????? I for one was thrilled with the crowd and believe 10,800-11,000 more accurate than 8500. I had predicted a non-sellout and no sellouts for the year. I am thrilled to be wrong on both accounts.

Edited by dslyank

I do not understand why Berm seats are not counted??? Technically those "seats" are paid for by first niagara and should be counted in our attendance figures????? I for one was thrilled with the crowd and believe 10,800-11,000 more accurate than 8500. I had predicted a non-sellout and no sellouts for the year. I am thrilled to be wrong on both accounts.

I thought the berm seats were counted, because there are only 6500 seats.

I think D96 had it right when he stated that UA didn't want to annoy the fire marshall after the first game....let's just hope it is a problem we continue to have.

I'm going with 8,500 seats plus berm until proven otherwise. I still don't know for sure if the berm is part of the 8,500, but I think it is not. This would account for Saturday's attendance: 8,500 sellout, plus about 2,300 on the grass berm and standing around.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

The potential is there. Just stinks that we are in a rebuilding year and winning is what brings people in. Watched the replay and the stadium looked great. The HD broadcast made it even better Can't imagine how crazy the place would be if they built Bob Ford Field out completely. I think someone said it before, Stony Brook has yet to draw that many people to a game and this was our first game ever in the stadium.

I think most people had such a great time that they will tolerate some mediocre football while we grow...In fact I'm strongly considering bringing my wife and three boys this Saturday if the weather holds...not sure the 7-month old is going to survive the noise so may have to rethink it or find a babysitter. I think my two older boys would have a GREAT time. So you can probably count on 4 instead of one being out there this Saturday.

I think most people had such a great time that they will tolerate some mediocre football while we grow...In fact I'm strongly considering bringing my wife and three boys this Saturday if the weather holds...not sure the 7-month old is going to survive the noise so may have to rethink it or find a babysitter. I think my two older boys would have a GREAT time. So you can probably count on 4 instead of one being out there this Saturday.

Please do bring your family!! Families are precisely what will drive our attendance figures up. When families of 4 or more start showing up, it takes a lot fewer households and fans to fill up the stadium.

I've already talked to several fathers who have never seen a game but who want to bring their son or daughter to the BOFO.

Already planning the trip to bring my wife and two kids up for homecoming. Can't wait. I wish I could make it up sooner.