UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

And the new UAlbany Head Football Coach is......

The last part of the statement is the big question mark. Depending on who you listen to--and as stated by PurpleFam18--Keeler has a rather suspect reputation for the treatment of players/coaches/alumni. THAT WON'T FLY HERE...and he knows this to be true. So, if he's cleaned up his game...I'd welcome him....but on a short-leash.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no way shape or form do I know anything about coaching football so I defer with respect to guys like PurpFam18. Lets be honest, there will never be another Bob Ford, Erk Russell, Tubby Raymond, Eddie Robinson, Bobby Bowdon etc. Guys that build programs and stay in one place for decades. Their players love them beyond their playing days and would run through walls for them while playing for them in college.

With that being said a new coach at UA is going to live in the shadow of Bob Ford so he will need to be different to gain his own identity. We can't replace Bob Ford with Bob Ford so we need to find a proven winner who can ramp up UA immediately. Can Rossomundo ramp up in year 1? Can Keeler? I believe Keeler has the edge here. There is not time to be 5-6 next year and 6-5 the year after. We need to be 6-5 year 1 be challenging for an FCS playoff spot year 2and be a contender to win the CAA in year 3 Why? Because of how new this whole thing is. I understand this isn't Alabama or Ohio State but coaches are fired at this level if they don't win.

If Keeler is a pain in the a$$ who cares he is here to win not make friends. After we are established if he isin' a good fit there will be plenty of Bob Ford guys out there to take the position.

At the end of the day Rossomundo is a better fit because of his Albany ties and he can coach and has built a winner. I think he may be challenged in the CAA. Priore at SBU struggled building up from his DIII roots to the FCS level. We do not have 4 years to build a winner.

At the end of the day II Keeler is the best fit IMHO because he has been here before in a similar circumstances and built a winner QUICKLY in this conference.

I believe both would build a winner I just think with Keelers pipeline from FBS kids he would get us there faster.

Keeler may be everything Bob Ford is NOT ["He is an extremely arrogant individual who players hated playing for."] Any attempt someone makes to try and replace Bob Ford is sure to fail (emulate may be; replace never). So perhaps someone totally opposite is just what is needed at this point. I am NOT saying this is what I am recommending. I would hate losing the "purple family" feeling Ford created; but the reality is the creator is going and we all agree he is irreplaceable. So "maybe" someone everyone HATES, but wins would be the perfect candidate {notice I did not say replacement} for the job.

Keeler may be everything Bob Ford is NOT ["He is an extremely arrogant individual who players hated playing for."] Any attempt someone makes to try and replace Bob Ford is sure to fail (emulate may be; replace never). So perhaps someone totally opposite is just what is needed at this point. I am NOT saying this is what I am recommending. I would hate losing the "purple family" feeling Ford created; but the reality is the creator is going and we all agree he is irreplaceable. So "maybe" someone everyone HATES, but wins would be the perfect candidate {notice I did not say replacement} for the job.

Before this season I wouldn't have vehemently disagreed with you.

After this season, I almost agree with you.

I just found this on Any Given Saturday. Its about JMU's head coach Mickey Matthews who is a Ford type of guy. This speaks directly to what I am saying that we do not have time to build a winner in 4-5 years. Matthews has also won a National Championship and has a spectacular stadium that is sold out every week. Its what we should be aspiring to (couldn't believe this when I read it) Mickey Matthews

"I know that JMU has won a NC under Matthews, so this isn't anything about him personally, but...

2009 - 6-5 No playoffs

2010 - 6-5 No playoffs

2011 - 7-4 then 1-1 in the playoffs, no home games

2012 - 7-4 No playoffs

2013 - 7-5/6-6 No playoffs

Could Mickey Matthews' seat be getting warm in Harrisonburg?"

What I don't want is Keeler burning this program down...personally I'd advocate a steady build approach over something that may backfire and set the program back. I'm not AT ALL an advocate of building like Broadus built Bing. If this guy is really that BIG of a richard...

Give me Rossomundo and call it a day...I don't understand WHY we need to be 8-3 next year...I'm OK with being 4-7 next year and 7-4 the following year. Do it the right WAY!

Edited by Clickclack

Agreed. When you're building a program build a program. When the big boys let you in act like you've been there before and will be there again. I'll take a couple more mediocre years for long term then quicker success that then implodes.

Leveler imploded at Delaware

Agreed. When you're building a program build a program. When the big boys let you in act like you've been there before and will be there again. I'll take a couple more mediocre years for long term then quicker success that then implodes.

Leveler imploded at Delaware

My thought exactly...lets put it this way...if it takes Rossomundo 4 years to build a winner and Keeler 2...and Rossomundo does it with class, dignity, sustained foundation with none of the crazy...how is this even a question? I don't understand this...we NEED to win next year big? WHY? The long term success of this program is far more important that an immediate turnaround that may back-fire.

Things that make me wary of Keeler http://www.newarkpos...19bb2963f4.html "Keeler won a title and 86 games, but never won over fans"

50ec5cd544d71.preview-300.jpg

"his flamboyant style. He was the focal point of the team poster, had several endorsements and appeared in commercials. He trotted onto the field with armed security guards, wearing designer sunglasses … even on cloudy days."

"a lone wolf, a common species in college coaching that builds programs, but does not worry about bonding with students, fans, wealthy alumni, presidents and other influencers. - See more at: http://delawarebusin...h.5aY9Aese.dpuf

Maybe it's going to be neither Rossomundo nor Keeler.

Keeler with his debatable character, and Rossomundo without the HCing experience at the D1 level.

I guess they people deeply involved with this decision will have much more knowledge than we do.... to make the proper decision.

Things that make me wary of Keeler http://www.newarkpos...19bb2963f4.html "Keeler won a title and 86 games, but never won over fans"

"his flamboyant style. He was the focal point of the team poster, had several endorsements and appeared in commercials. He trotted onto the field with armed security guards, wearing designer sunglasses … even on cloudy days."

"a lone wolf, a common species in college coaching that builds programs, but does not worry about bonding with students, fans, wealthy alumni, presidents and other influencers. - See more at: http://delawarebusin...h.5aY9Aese.dpuf

You gotta be kidding me...stay CLEAR!

You gotta be kidding me...stay CLEAR!

Two things I gleaned from those articles:

1) I think we can win him over as fans.

2) I need to start looking for a Porsche SUV in the SEFCU parking lot.

Maybe it's going to be neither Rossomundo nor Keeler.

Keeler with his debatable character, and Rossomundo without the HCing experience at the D1 level.

I guess they people deeply involved with this decision will have much more knowledge than we do.... to make the proper decision.

McElroy has done pretty well...I'll have to trust that he knows what he is doing.