UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2016

Maybe it's a money issue...

Have to pay for 63 FB scholarships. I don't know how much Bob Ford got paid when he was coaching, but I can't possibly see it being close to the 230K Gattuso makes now.

or the $225K for Coach Mac

Yes, basically everythings going up and not enough to go around.

Maybe it's a money issue...

Have to pay for 63 FB scholarships. I don't know how much Bob Ford got paid when he was coaching, but I can't possibly see it being close to the 230K Gattuso makes now.

or the $225K for Coach Mac

Yes, basically everythings going up and not enough to go around.

If that's the case then a $ based admin should have done the math first to be able to keep their mbb coach. But this is getting off topic lol. I was just mentioning it in regards to recruitment trends.

I understand wanting to get a 4 year player or two, but at the end of the day it's about recognizing talent, dedication and giving players who deserve it a chance. Looking back how many of the 4 year players UA did recruit lasted all 4 years? Same can be said for the JC players. You recruit talent and guys that fit your program. Coach Brown had a tweet about recruiting players along the lines of - you think a kids commitment to the program is solid and then one "higher level" offer comes in and they are gone. Do we not go after these players because we might be left at the alter? I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the commits that Coach Brown has secured at such a late date.

It seems a lot of D1 schools are going the JUCO and or transfer route to recruiting. It could have something to do with tougher academic standards/core curriculums causing a large number of kids not being eligible right out of high school. So they go a year or two of JUCO to gain their ncaa qualifier?? I could be totally wrong..Thoughts??

It almost seems like in baseball where the trend has been for colleges becoming more of a prime feeder for the majors???

Or it could be no more than WIN now or get fired; causing coaches to go after experienced JUCO players, rather than having to bring along 4 year kids; who more often than not end up transferring before you get any value from them??????????????

I have no problem with JUCOs..and think we do a pretty good job finding them and getting the most out of them. And if they're the most likely to help us win..and do well in the classroom..then I want them in purple and gold.

But..if the lack of an extension is making it harder to get any more preferred four year student-athletes..then that's a problem.

Leaving Coach Brown on the second to last year of this deal is flat out ignoring the fact that he deserves a deal due to his past success..and now is potentially negatively impacting our future success.

McElroy brought in and kept good coaches. I hope Benson doesn't reverse that trend. Do the extension now.

Edited by Phoenix

There are to many assumptions being made about Coach Brown and an extension. First, is only having 2 years really the reason no HS seniors have committed? I don't think so. Coach Brown could get a 5 year extension from Albany today and be gone after next season if the right offer came about. There are no guarantees even with an extension. Also, maybe Coach Brown sees Pikiell get a HC job in a major conference and, rightly so, thinks he should be in those discussions. Maybe adding a buyout if he leaves (which most contracts have) to a 5 year extension limits his options down the road. I'm playing devils advocate right now, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as some of you are implying.