UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

I'd like to know more about this development. I think an affiliation/merger would be great so this seems disappointing.

"UAlbany approached Albany Law. Albany Law has just unveiled a new strategic plan that includes alliances with UAlbany, RPI, Siena, St. Rose. What was previously unknown was that Albany Law has been approached by another university."

Edited by SoCal_Dane

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underpar. Financially healthy? Great strategic plan? You either drank the "Kool-Aid", or your business acumen is not as savvy as you believe it to be. Look no further than below:

http://www.thefacult...law-school.html

http://www.timesunio...job-5225825.php

http://blogs.wsj.com...-at-albany-law/

http://taxprof.typep...ed-faculty.html

http://www.abajourna...nrollment_drop/

http://thelawyerbubb...uble-in-albany/

Edited by Dane96

I think I was pretty clear in what's at stake for me, a belief that access to public education for graduate level degrees should be more readily available to young people of New York, or any state for that matter. Now, if you're telling me your financial situation is at great harm because of a possible merger, well, I truly feel bad for you. That said, I don't think that is quite the case. I think this i more of a pride issue for you more than anything.

And as we know, Pride....

Edited by Dane96

My financial situation has nothing to do with this. I'm in private practice. The way this thing is shaking out looks to me like UA wants/needs an association with Albany Law and not the other way around. I'm not opposed to an affiliation. In fact I'm in favor of one. But, I'm also in favor of an affiliation with The College of Nano Technology, RPI etc.

As a current Southern California resident and previous resident of Georgia and other states I do not get this fear of public universities New Yorkers hold.

The best university in San Diego is USCD.

Georgia Tech in Georgia.

UW-Madison in Wisconsin.

The Capitol District has all the pieces to have a UCSD, Michigan, Wisconsin but the parts are not connected. Albany Law and UAlbany is the start to a much better single institution.

Would Michigan's law school be better or worse as a separate institution?

New York is big government for everything except universities. This mentality is hurting New York from having that great flagship.

You guys in New York are short sighted. This is a great opportunity but all anyone sees is state school. UC Berkley is a state school!

The point mentioned earlier is New York cannot be limited to a single SUNY public law school. Cuomo won't be in office forever... assuming as an alumn he'd block the addition of others.

Binghamton and Stony Brook have money for law schools. If UA doesn't get it I'm sure they'll be lobbying for it.

Don't bite your nose to spite your face. Are you better served with new law schools in Binghamton or Stony Brook? Law degrees at 1/4 the price from other great institutions.

Michigan's law school is in serious trouble. Public funds are tight and Michigan's political leaders are unmoved by the schools need for money. It was reported at tonight's meeting that UA needs several hundred million dollars to keep pace. The school has to raise tuition which is going to create an uproar. Is UA going to be able to convince the Governor and legislature to appropriate the funds? I doubt it. Why would Albany Law put itself at the mercy of state politics when it has a good plan to move into the future? My impression is that Albany Law's leaders are concerned about putting the schools future in the control of politicians. Living in Albany I share their concern.

Michigan's law school in serious trouble? Are you mad? For real. They have an endowment of over $250 million...just for the law school, which places it squarely in the Top 8 of all law schools.

Good grief.

And for the record, the University of Michigan's entire endowment is almost 9.7 BILLION DOLLARS. Ninth largest in the world for a University.

Edited by Dane96

How much state funding does Albany Law get today?

UA got an $80M Business School and only privately raised a tiny fraction.

UA got a $40M campus expansion and privately paid $0.

The list goes on and on

Cuomo is an Albany Law Alum. He could structure a sweetheart deal.

If you keep finances separate and tap state funding where is the downside?

96, you are again off base. We were obviously talking about Michigan State's law school, which is public. It used to be Detroit Law School. The University of Michigan is private. The Michigan State Law School is in serious trouble. If Albany Law was looking to partner with any local college for financial reasons it would be RPI. I know it's endowment is in the billions. I'm convinced some differant relationship between the schools will develope but what it will be is not certain. I Am fairly sure it will not be The University at Albany School of Law.

No, we weren't obviously talking about Michigan State. I knew you would go back there when corrected (because of the earlier, weeks ago post about the school). You said "Michigan's Law School", which semantically, or otherwise is always known as the University of Michigan.

Whether it happens overnight or in a few years, Albany Law will ultimately be a NYS Law School, unless some miraculous financial and attendance changes occur.

Edited by Dane96

SoCal-- he's fishing, and completely off base. Most people know that both Michigan State and the University of Michigan are both State schools.

He's grasping at straws...and if RPI really wanted Albany Law, they'd have them already and there would be no discussion with UA.

BTW, Underpar, Mich State's law school is INFINITELY in a much better place than it was back in the 90's when the school operated out of a YMCA (or something like that). Irrespective, they are in a better place than Albany Law, factually and financially.

The school has to raise tuition which is going to create an uproar. Is UA going to be able to convince the Governor and legislature to appropriate the funds? I doubt it.

Based on this comment..I'm going to assume you missed the fact that the SUNY Board of Trustees just increased tuition for the 2015-16 school year. And no..there was no uproar.