UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those Albany Law Alumni on the board

Board Chair Nolan, Dean Ouellette Invite Alumni to Participate in Town Hall Meeting

At the request of the National Alumni Association (NAA), Board Chair Dan Nolan '78 and Acting Dean Alicia Ouellette'94 will host a town hall meeting at 5 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 10, 2014, to answer questions about the law school's potential affiliation with the University at Albany. Other potential items of discussion include the new strategic plan, changes in leadership, and any other topics of interest to alumni and other members of the community. NAA President Amy J. Kellogg '02 and Interim Assistant Dean for Institutional Advancement Anne Marie Judge will facilitate the q&a session.

The town hall meeting, which will be held in the Dean Alexander Moot Courtroom, will also be webcast live for those who are unable to attend in person. If you have questions you would like addressed at the Town Hall meeting, please send those questions prior to the event by emailing the Office of Alumni Affairs.

In advance of tonight's meeting at Albany Law I have been in touch with a number of recent Albany Law graduates. They are almost unanimously opposed to any merger. They will not accept the fact they they are stuck with $55,000+ annual tuition payments and students just a few years younger will get $15,000 tuition.

In advance of tonight's meeting at Albany Law I have been in touch with a number of recent Albany Law graduates. They are almost unanimously opposed to any merger. They will not accept the fact they they are stuck with $55,000+ annual tuition payments and students just a few years younger will get $15,000 tuition.

Haha. That's quite frankly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Nothing is going to change the debt that Albany Law grads KNOWINGLY took on. Nothing.

"So screw everyone else because I made a bad investment in my future!"

No wonder the law school is falling. Clearly not educating its graduates.

I'm embarrassed to be associated with people that have that opinion.

What an absolutely ASININE point of view...holy smokes. So out of your own bitterness you will make countless many others pay through the nose when a more cost effective option is within reach. Amazing!

No, it was misleading its graduates by making them believe there were good jobs waiting for them.

Come on man. Anyone who has any kind of brains and an internet connection could have easily known that a law degree from a Tier 3 school post-2007 was a huge risk. It paid off for some (I've hired some of them). For most it was a risk they knew (or should have known) and took anyway.

As the saying goes, I have no dog in this fight. I graduated some time ago from both institutions. What I am hearing is that the law school knew what was facing its grads and instead of making sure applicants knew that the job market was not promising it inflated its figures on post graduate employment. It placed the well being of its leadership, professors and staff ahead of its applicants. That is bound to cause bitterness. It is not asinine. Why would recent grads want to compete with grads who have little or no debt? It's called self interest. The statement I keep hearing is that if New York needs another public law school, and that is a doubtful proposition, then let it be in Binghamton where the Governor originally proposed it. Does New York really need another public law school?

The statement I keep hearing is that if New York needs another public law school, and that is a doubtful proposition, then let it be in Binghamton where the Governor originally proposed it. Does New York really need another public law school?

An affiliation/merger would actually help with the situation you're describing. If Binghamton were to end up with a law school..that would actually mean an additional law school..meaning more competition. An Albany Law/UAlbany affiliation would not mean an additional law school.

Whatever one's opinions of a merger/affiliation..I can't think of anything more self-centered and childish than "I have a lot of debt so I want others to be saddled with that, too!"

The statement I keep hearing is that if New York needs another public law school, and that is a doubtful proposition, then let it be in Binghamton where the Governor originally proposed it. Does New York really need another public law school?

An affiliation/merger would actually help with the situation you're describing. If Binghamton were to end up with a law school..that would actually mean an additional law school..meaning more competition. An Albany Law/UAlbany affiliation would not mean an additional law school.

Whatever one's opinions of a merger/affiliation..I can't think of anything more self-centered and childish than "I have a lot of debt so I want others to be saddled with that, too!"

If I'm reading his comments correctly, either he himself or those he's been in contact are directly calling Albany Law liars who fabricated post graduate employment figures in order to slam students into their program. Bold statement...

You know what will really help current and future Albany Law graduates as they search for jobs? Binghamton Law pumping out even MORE lawyers...

Edited by Clickclack

If someone wants to block this, arguments like "it's not fair to me" and "we don't need another (public) law school" will not work. Albany Law School is not viable "as is". As someone already pointed out, a merger like this will reduce the number of law schools by basically scrapping Binghamton's future one, so it doesn't add another law school to New York. No way will NYS support three public law schools.

There has also been the issue of whether Albany Law School is *viable* without some drastic change. An alternative of status quo ante will not fly when first year enrollments are down 34%.

And a merger alone is not enough -- however, a merger combined with an aggressive 6-year BA/JD and 4 year JD/MPA JD/MPP will be great. The combined programs with Rockefeller will attract fantastic talent to the law school and beef up its academic credentials (this is, after all, a top-10 public policy school), as well as enrollment numbers. Graduates of the program will have no problem finding good work in Washington or state-level governments, which will bolster the Law School's job placement rates. I'm sure they'll also push JD/MBA but the uptake on that isn't as clear to me.

It's really a no-brainer, and will be cheaper than NY building a new law school and will assure the future of Albany Law School.

I have not seen anyone suggest and alternate plan for Albany Law School that doesn't result in insolvency, and the state "owes" UAlbany for playing nice with the Nano split. This will happen, and my guess is it will happen quickly.