UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Athletic Director: What do you look for?

Dane96

Really? Well if that's the case the article above is completely wrong then.

Robert Jones, the University at Albany's recently installed president, never played sports growing up in Dawson, Ga.

The son of a sharecropper, he spent his childhood planting and harvesting peanuts and cotton, chopping wood, then lugging it home to build a fire that would warm dinner.

"We didn't have time for other kinds of activities," Jones said Friday afternoon at Wells Fargo Center, before he watched the UAlbany men's basketball team play Duke in the NCAA Tournament.

"Besides," he added with a laugh, "I wasn't any good."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that works for me. I just worry about a new President suddenly changing course. McElroy did a fantastic, deliberate job in building up this program, with probably the best overall facilities in the America East (which will get better once SEFCU goes under the knife, if and when), and the Commish cups to show for it.

Very few schools of our size have the separate facilities for each sport that UA does.

I don't see that as a positive. Never have.

How is having good facilities a negative?

I may be speaking out of turn, but I think Danefan is referring to the fact that in the end, we don't need a separate lax field. To a degree, I see his point. However, I do think in the end that having the JFF is great because all 5 teams (M/W lax, M/W soccer, and football) should have as much practice time as they are allowed or players want to undertake on their own. I think having lax only have future big games at the BoFO is good for all.

I DO AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY that having a separate concession/bathroom setup is quite silly unless we were flush with cash. Same with lockerrooms. I think using the BoFo saves on huge overhead.

Really? Well if that's the case the article above is completely wrong then.

Robert Jones, the University at Albany's recently installed president, never played sports growing up in Dawson, Ga.

The son of a sharecropper, he spent his childhood planting and harvesting peanuts and cotton, chopping wood, then lugging it home to build a fire that would warm dinner.

"We didn't have time for other kinds of activities," Jones said Friday afternoon at Wells Fargo Center, before he watched the UAlbany men's basketball team play Duke in the NCAA Tournament.

"Besides," he added with a laugh, "I wasn't any good."

We'll at least that's what he told me. I may be misremembering. Doesn't really matter anyway. He likes sports. He doesn't think they're end all be all, but an important part of the university.

Ok, that works for me. I just worry about a new President suddenly changing course. McElroy did a fantastic, deliberate job in building up this program, with probably the best overall facilities in the America East (which will get better once SEFCU goes under the knife, if and when), and the Commish cups to show for it.

Very few schools of our size have the separate facilities for each sport that UA does.

John Fallon field was a complete waste of money. No one will ever convince me otherwise. That money should have been focused on a phased-in multi use stadium and a turf practice field. We ended up 10 years behind because of it and the pie in the sky $60m stadium dream. That's on McElroy. I've always been a vocal opponent to it.

John Fallon field was a complete waste of money. No one will ever convince me otherwise. That money should have been focused on a phased-in multi use stadium and a turf practice field. We ended up 10 years behind because of it and the pie in the sky $60m stadium dream. That's on McElroy. I've always been a vocal opponent to it.

Was JFF all built on donations from John Fallon or did the school put money into it?

Maybe the new president told McElroy to retire before he was let go????

Possibly looking for bigger and better in the AD position????

Maybe, but I don't find it that surprising that a guy in his mid-60's would want to retire. Especially after arguably one of our best DI years so far.

John Fallon Field was not a waste of money! It is a tremendous recruiting tool with sectionals, regionals and state championships being held there.

It brings hundreds of people on campus. It s a beautiful facility. As a newby in lacrosse there is noting worse than watching it on a football field!!!!

The 1 - 1.5 million for the lacrosse and field hockey facilities were a positive investment. As UAlbany alums we should support all teams and facilities.

John Fallon Field was not a waste of money! It is a tremendous recruiting tool with sectionals, regionals and state championships being held there.

It brings hundreds of people on campus. It s a beautiful facility. As a newby in lacrosse there is noting worse than watching it on a football field!!!!

The 1 - 1.5 million for the lacrosse and field hockey facilities were a positive investment. As UAlbany alums we should support all teams and facilities.

Sorry. I'll never be convinced that a kid would be out recruited by JFF vs a quality stadium that may have been built in 2008.

Just an opinion of course.

Temporary focus on JFF might have sidetracked the stadium effort, maybe not. I'm not sure anything along the lines of the stadium would have been done any sooner.

Regardless, I'm glad that we have another nice small facility on campus. It only helps now.

It might very well be a good thing to have stronger leadership to bring the athletic department to a new level.

Let's build that stadium, and let's get it done.