UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Athletic Director: What do you look for?

Dane96

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDSU released a list of candidates for their AD opening, and two stood out to me: Stony Brook senior associate athletic director Matthew Larsen and St. Bonaventure athletic director Stephen Watson. I wonder if one of them decided to stay closer to home...

Mark Benson, previously the Sr Assoc. AD Athletic Foundation at Old Dominion.

He went to NC State for college.

He is/was also apart of the National Association of Athletic Development Directors 2014-15 Executive Committee.

Bve85zNCcAEmm-B.jpg

Search of his name in the news:

ODU ties ticket sales record, but tickets still available http://hamptonroads....still-available

Edited by MsGDG

I think someone who knows about $ is good for our athletics department. He already mentioned branding, fan engagement, season ticket holders, etc. Hopefully he will have the skills to engage the community and fans to bring in the $ that they need to support a growing program.

I like the hire because of the following:

1. $$$$$$$ That was his mission at ODU. It's exactly what we need for the growth of our program from a facility and conference perspective

2. ODU is one of the model growth programs.

3. Familiarity with the CAA.

4. Comes from a school with very good football and insanely good hoops.

And frankly, he should say we are committed to the AE. Until we get our finances to a point to be somewhat self-sustaining, the travel costs of moving elsewhere would reduce our ability to spend on facilities, scholarships, recruiting budgets, coaching salaries, and other amenities. In addition, the O'Bannon lawsuit is a game-changer. We would need money to support paying full cost and the image escrow that we would likely need in a bigger conference.

I think this is a smash hire.

Those not able to view/listen..

Q: About ODU fast progress..

A: Paraphrase: Five years for football program at ODU how to operate, finances, campus, atmosphere, etc. He said it was actually a slow long process. Have to market, who, what,when, grassroots efforts. Very inclusive process. He hopes to do that here, and collaborate here.

Edited by MsGDG