UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football coaching changes

Per Footballscoop

Albany (FCS NY): Per source, head coach Greg Gattuso has made some changes. We are told that quarterbacks coach Ryan McCarthy and outside linebackers / special teams coordinator Matt Scott will not return. On the offensive side, we hear tight ends coach Gabe Luvara is expected to move to quarterbacks. Will update

Not shocking that McCarthy is not returning. Hard to take a big step back in a role such as he did. I also don't think it was his coaching that made Fiacchi into a better QB this season.

As for Matt Scott, maybe he moves up in position; he used to work under Coach Rossomando, so maybe he's heading to CCSU?

Either way, at this level of DI we are starting to see the "business side" of the game.

Just an opinion and observation from watching him on the sideline the past two years, I am very high on Aaron Smith. He seems always involved in the game giving encouragement and instructions. He seems animated and energetic and other than Gattuso, I rarely notice this from any of the other assistants. Now, I really do not know if he is a good coach or not, but would be interested in other opinions, especially from those with ties to the program or with coaching experience of their own. All thoughts welcomed.

From Footballscoop

Albany (FCS – NY): Per sources, linebackers coach / assistant head coach Bernard Clark is being promoted to defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator Joe Bernard will add the assistant head coach title, and tight ends coach Gabe Luvara will add the title of c0-offensive coordinator.

McCarthy was the qb coach for 3 of the most successful quarterbacks in program history. Please elaborate how is coaching had nothing to do with Fiacchi's success

Nothing aginst McCarthy, but his QB's benefitted from a system change as much as anything else.

We ran an option-run attack until Rossomando took over as OC. The only QB that did anything of note passing wise before that was Joe Savino. And that was a much different time period for the program.

I do pride myself in having the school record for handoffs...... :D

Just an opinion and observation from watching him on the sideline the past two years, I am very high on Aaron Smith. He seems always involved in the game giving encouragement and instructions. He seems animated and energetic and other than Gattuso, I rarely notice this from any of the other assistants. Now, I really do not know if he is a good coach or not, but would be interested in other opinions, especially from those with ties to the program or with coaching experience of their own. All thoughts welcomed.

He's a phenomenal coach and unfortunately because of that I don't think we'll have him long.

More from Footballscoop

Penn: Per source, Albany defensive coordinator / defensive backs coach Bob Benson will be named associate head coach / defensive coordinator at Penn.

Doesnt' surprise me. Benson and Priore were on the Albany staff together in the 80s.

For those unaware, Ray Priore is HC at Penn now. Chuck Priore's (SBU HC) brother and an Albany grad.

Edited by danefan

Along with our coaching changes, Pete Mangurian resigned at Columbia. Besides all the losses, player revolt over concussions (some have backed off now) and abuse, some of this is our fault, according to Deadspin

"....and delivering a particularly scathing speech after the team's 42-7 loss at Albany.

"You are terrible [expletive] people," Mangurian allegedly told his players after that game—the expletive had been edited out in the copy sent to Spectator by Jake Novak, 'CC 92 and editor of the blog CULions. "The world would be a better place without you."

Along with our coaching changes, Pete Mangurian resigned at Columbia. Besides all the losses, player revolt over concussions (some have backed off now) and abuse, some of this is our fault, according to Deadspin

"....and delivering a particularly scathing speech after the team's 42-7 loss at Albany.

"You are terrible [expletive] people," Mangurian allegedly told his players after that game—the expletive had been edited out in the copy sent to Spectator by Jake Novak, 'CC 92 and editor of the blog CULions. "The world would be a better place without you."

Wow...seriously? Yikes!