UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Where are they now?

Anyone know if David Nichols is playing professionally anywhere this season? I haven't seen anything about him. I know his dad was on the board the other night.

Now that we are half a season after both finished their grad transfer season, I'm curious what everyone on the board thinks...

Joe didn't get much of a sniff in draft conversations and he hasn't caught on with a D team yet (yes he just got called back, but no games yet). 

Did the time at Villanova with limited action at the end of the season help or hurt his professional aspirations? 4ppg at Nova and a role on the bench in the NCAA tournament vs. starring in the AE with a shot at POY. 

I am thinking the it helped David as it proved he could contribute in the ACC against that level of player. As a PG you need to show that speed and agility against the fastest players.

Seeing the hype Lamb has gotten from NBA scouts in the AE tells me that Joe may have been better off basketball wise staying home. Nova didn't use Joe to his strengths. He became a spot up shooter and the 4th or 5th option in their offense. In the AE he would have continued to show off crafty moves and been the focus of the offense. I am not thinking the level of play matters as much at the 2.

Outside of basketball and in the business world it was obviously the best move for both of them from a resume perspective for life after basketball. All Academic team in the AE while playing basketball, graduating early, then going to another school for grad work playing there as well is impressive on a resume.

Edited by godanesgo99

13 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Anyone know if David Nichols is playing professionally anywhere this season? I haven't seen anything about him. I know his dad was on the board the other night.

He's playing someplace in Greece, I believe. In a bit of kismet, his father popped up in my twitter suggestions and he had a post-game interview up there

• 1 month later...

Was playing around looking up pro stats for some #purplefam and I have to say: it is way to hard to find stats on foreign teams. I though Sanders and Singletary were both playing in Europe. Can't really find anything. Sir Buckets was doing well somewhere, but outside of a few tweets last year, there isn't much out there. 

David Nichols was leading his league in scoring, assists, and efficiency last I knew.

Cremo is still playing in the G league and doing pretty well, averaging over 20 minutes per game... Here is a video from a recent game....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  Wasn’t sure where to post this then I saw the questions about where is David.  Looks like you all got most of it right.  He is playing in Cyprus and doing well.  Recently launched a business during his downtime between games and so far looks like his decision to pass on the G League for Europe was the right call.  

Wanted to post an interview David recently did as I thought (based on previous discussions) you may enjoy the content.   At the 1:06 mark David is asked to compare the coaching staffs at UA and FSU. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hear-the-spear/id1277871274?i=1000464334984

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

E J Gallup named head coach at Fulton-Montgomery Community College in Johnstown 

I am giving this update on a former UAlbany player a rating of "UGH".  As I recall, one and gone plus a helicopter 🚁 father who relocated to the Carolinas, encouraging his son to jump ship.  While an important part of Section 2 high school basketball 🏀 folklore, an insignificant contribution to UAlbany.  That said: I wish him well at FMCC. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I am giving this update on a former UAlbany player a rating of "UGH".  As I recall, one and gone plus a helicopter 🚁 father who relocated to the Carolinas, encouraging his son to jump ship.  While an important part of Section 2 high school basketball 🏀 folklore, an insignificant contribution to UAlbany.  That said: I wish him well at FMCC. 

The AE board had a "What If" thread about recuits/players that didn't pan out.

The Gallup thing was rough because he would have played a couple of years with Jamar had he not transferred. We could have been respectable much quicker. Things didn't turn out so bad though.

6 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

The AE board had a "What If" thread about recuits/players that didn't pan out.

The Gallup thing was rough because he would have played a couple of years with Jamar had he not transferred. We could have been respectable much quicker. Things didn't turn out so bad though.

As a follow up and clarification to my earlier comment, my intent is not to stifle sharing of information.  I just have  strong feelings about athletes who show up with lots of fan fare, only to leave UAlbany high and dry.  UAalum72 shares enormous amount of useful and interesting information.  Yes, things didn't turn out so bad.

10 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

UAlbany basketball standout Holway dies at 89

Doc Sauers calls him his "Most importantt player", was Albany's career scoring leader until Jamar.

Thank you, UAalum72 for this update.  I am certain that UAlbany Sports will make note of his passing at an early season men's basketball game. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...