UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Asses In The Seats?

You get a ton of high school football being played on BFF.... you introduce a whole new world to the kids and the parents who would otherwise

never even know UA and the football facility. Once a kid goes there, they'll want to go back for a real big time college game.

Edited by uofalbany

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, based on his background, we know that Benson is great at getting corporate giving, but how did ODU fare on the attendance side of thing, and do we know what kind of broad plan, if there is a broad plan, he's putting in place to increase engagement?

So, based on his background, we know that Benson is great at getting corporate giving, but how did ODU fare on the attendance side of thing, and do we know what kind of broad plan, if there is a broad plan, he's putting in place to increase engagement?

ODU had great attendance - don't know if it changed or was always high. There is a significant difference between southern fans and northern fans - not sure that you can compare UA attendance and ODU attendance. For football, look at the attendance differences between the northern CAA schools and the southern ones.

Edited by reeder

ODU had great attendance - don't know if it changed or was always high. There is a significant difference between southern fans and northern fans - not sure that you can compare UA attendance and ODU attendance. For football, look at the attendance differences between the northern CAA schools and the southern ones.

There is no "always". ODU didn't start football until 2009. Every single home game has been a sellout, 19000+.

They also had a good run in basketball in that time, averaging between 6500-7800 in an 8700-seat arena. ODU also has almost 20,000 undergraduates.

When we first hired him the various articles talked about his ticket program ideas that created additional revenue for the school. I don't know much about it, but if you Google it some articles come up.

This may give us an idea of what is to come for season ticket holders and possible changes with a new point system..assuming he implements the same program here at UA.

ODU gets creative to fill its football ticket requests

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/odu-gets-creative-fill-football-ticket-requests

ODU basketball tickets easier to find than in past

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/11/odu-basketball-tickets-easier-find-past#

"Tickets were made available to all who asked for them last spring, when ODU reassigned every seat at Foreman Field, based on a new points system. However, this marks the first time since 2009 that fans could order tickets directly from the ticket office." http://hamptonroads.com/2014/06/old-dominion-puts-1078-football-season-tickets-sale

Edited by MsGDG

I want to see big results and vast improvements with Benson.

We did get CAA football, the mini stadium, and the track facility before him.

He needs to bring 10X the progression and improvements that we've already seen. Time to step up Benson,

and show us what you got....

He needs the support of Pres Jones to go after funds from the state too. Raising money takes time since you have to massage those big donations out of donors and that isn't just a one time meeting. While they are working on bringing in donations hopefully the state can invest more capital into the school. As someone pointed out in another thread there are so many options on what to do with the SEFCU for example, could we assume the school would have to know what exactly it wants before going to the state asking for funding(?).

UA released their asks for 2015-16 and I don't see any athletics items listed. The $400M listed to critical needs is all of SUNY, and only $21M is listed for UA and it says that's for critical maintenance. They itemized out other specific new projects on the two other bullets. http://www.albany.edu/administration/nys-budget-impact-ualbany-legislative-requests.php also the SUNY Capital link http://www.albany.edu/administration/nys-budget-impact-ualbany-suny.php

Edited by MsGDG

(from a students perspective)

• Solution for the emails: When a student enrolls, have a questionnaire on which they can check off things they are interested in and add them to those 'mailing lists'. For example, I couldn't care less about these brown bag or internship emails I get once a day from my department...but I'd definitely check the box for a football and basketball mailing list. If a student doesn't fill out the questionnaire, then default to sending notifications of big events such as BPG, homecoming, etc. (simply send those emails to the entire school and not a mailing list). Problem is, at least in the IS department, they have one mailing list for everything. I do agree that there are a ton of emails flying around, and your point definitely is yet another suggestion that has serious merit.

I know we can do this on our season ticket profiles, but I don't know of a way to subscribe to certain mailing lists as a student.

I like this idea. Wonder if it's been kicked around. Seems like that could be something done through MyUAlbany.

Also as if it wasn't obvious, SEFCU renovation is at the top of the Athletic Department list. They are looking to do a good amount of fundraising privately first, then go to the State. All this info is from an NYC event with Benson this past week.

I can corroborate this post...I've been told that the plan is to gut SEFCU and do a "major" renovation and not a face-lift. The question of timing can only be answered with when the money can be raised.

My personal hope is and not something I've been told...that since they will be using the shell of SEFCU to renovate...perhaps it could be a bit easier to get funding as a renovation instead of new construction.

The renovation of SEFCU needs to be about more then sports. SEFCU in it's new configuration must be able to meet other needs on campus, concert and entertainment venue, speeches etc. Treat it like a real arena and make it inviting enough that people love to go there for all sorts of things.

Edited by Clickclack

I want to see big results and vast improvements with Benson.

We did get CAA football, the mini stadium, and the track facility before him.

He needs to bring 10X the progression and improvements that we've already seen. Time to step up Benson,

and show us what you got....

That's a lot to ask...I'm a big supporter of Benson, lets give this man time to unfurl his vision.

I'm optimistic. I'm waiting to hear his 10 year plan for the athletic department. Chairbacks and ticket sales are wonderful, but.....

We didn't wake up the purple beast 15 years ago to stop here. There is still huge potential for this university's athletic department,

and now is the time to seize. Think big.