UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA to create new VP position focused on branding

madDOG

At the risk of being different I would suggest something entirely new. I still think the most interesting part of the campus is that it looks like a starship. I know we have had a mutt as our mascot for a long time but I still like the idea of The Albany Starship. Tell me a bunch of students wouldn't love to come to games dressed as Kirk, Spock, Vulcans and Klingons. Maybe The Albany Klingons!

I've heard a lot of weird $iena in my life, but dammmnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being different I would suggest something entirely new. I still think the most interesting part of the campus is that it looks like a starship. I know we have had a mutt as our mascot for a long time but I still like the idea of The Albany Starship. Tell me a bunch of students wouldn't love to come to games dressed as Kirk, Spock, Vulcans and Klingons. Maybe The Albany Klingons!

Worst idea ever...don't post it again!

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Edited by madDOG

What are the reasons why the school couldn't be renamed 'University of New York' or 'New York State University'?

Bureaucratic infighting with the other university centers. At one time Tom Golisano offered like $100 million if Buffalo would be named the University of NY.

I say we go the Ohio St. route with the name already on our signs: Albany, THE State University of New York

We need a bold change. Tinkering around with a 'U' or an 'at' is not going to fix our issues. I think that's why we have a new VP level position. It's not to drop a 'U'.

1) There are too many iterations of 'Albany'. UAlbany, Albany State, SUNY Albany, University at Albany. When I get to a web site I don't know what to search for to find my college! 3 published articles, news stories may use 3 different names.

2) Making things worse there is already an Albany State and cities named Albany in Georgia, Indiana, California, Oregon etc.

3) Albany constricts us to the Capital Region. We lost the Nano College over this name because everyone in New York still thinks of us as SUNY Albany teacher's college. The Nano College can't possibly be part of SUNY Albany?!?

4) Geography will cause us challenges with SUNY Down State. I can already hear it now. Why is a Brooklyn college under SUNY Albany?

5) I'm not a fan of Cuomo's politics but I'd be 'ok' with naming the university after him. It eliminates all the geography issues, all the Albany State, SUNY Albany baggage. 1 clean name. Cuomo University

6) Duke, Emory, Standford, Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, John Jay, George Mason, James Madison University are all people's names. What did those people stand for? Who cares. It's a clean name that doesn't trap us from having a campus in Brooklyn or Syracuse

Edited by SoCal_Dane

Looks the news of this position really opened the flood gates for every random marketing/branding idea!

The name of the school includes an "at" because it already has an "of." The school is part of the State University OF New York. That's why Buffalo is also an AT. Binghamton and Stony Brook has "university" after instead of before..and I don't think Albany University accomplishes anything new.

It's fun to discuss..but the only people who care about "at" vs. "of" are the posters on this board..and I don't say that in a negative way. Improved marketing/branding of the school is 100x bigger than the specifics of our name..geography or name or at/of. We're advertising a brand..not a just "name." If it was all about the name..there wouldn't be a BJ's Wholesale Club. :)

I'm excited to see what the creation of this position will lead to.

So, we have State University of New York University at Albany

We have twice 'university' and an 'of and an 'at'. For whatever reason they throw in an 'at'..... brilliant stuff.

The world within reach. The power of suny.

Let's pray that they drastically improve their product they roll out.