UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday Night

You can't compare a freshmen to a senior or 5yr senior. Come on guys, really?... llko

Once you step on the court you lose your grade level you are just a player!

One serious question - have you ever played competitive basketball?

Edited by Patch

I still can't believe their students rushed the court. I mean really? We most be that good!

Side note, watch the press conference. Brown has some choice words about next year's game, the 3rd "tournament" game and the pep bands placement.

Patsos also made I clear he knew his job was on the line with this game. Which is still crazy to me. Their fans should care about the NCAA not the Albany game, but I guess that shows their priorities.

Can you relay what brown said?
This.
He mentioned something about the roof being blown off at SEFCU next year, he asked where the pep band was. He said the band's should be able to play. Was snark about it, as he should be. I think it was like "anyone see our pep band?" Etc. Then Wilken asked how he felt about heading back to TU after next year. Will said that's news to him, and does he have more info. As far as Will had heard he is playing a tournament at the TU in year 3. He was being sarcastic kinda.

Patsos made some comment about how it's great to play in front of 10k and Albany court holds 4500 but he is sure it'll be a good crowd. Little jab.

I believe I saw the band tweet that they weren't written into the script.

Edited by MRSGDG

You can't compare a freshmen to a senior or 5yr senior. Come on guys, really?

Also, not all turnovers are created equal. Some are dead ball (not as bad but still suck) and some are live ball (killers as they often lead to breaks for the other team).

TO numbers aside, it seems like Peters hurt us more than anyone's. If I'm exaggerating, so be it, but again...I'm not willing to give people a pass just because they are a former hero and saviour of the team in a dire situation.

We can agree to disagree.

My thought comes more from the 'then yet?' position than anything else. If you don't go with Hooley..you go with Cremo or Andrews. And that's ignoring the fact Hooley led the team in FG% for any player with more than 6 shots. This game really would've been a near blow out without Hooley's production.

Edited by Phoenix

You can't compare a freshmen to a senior or 5yr senior. Come on guys, really?

Also, not all turnovers are created equal. Some are dead ball (not as bad but still suck) and some are live ball (killers as they often lead to breaks for the other team).

TO numbers aside, it seems like Peters hurt us more than anyone's. If I'm exaggerating, so be it, but again...I'm not willing to give people a pass just because they are a former hero and saviour of the team in a dire situation.

We can agree to disagree.

My thought comes more from the 'then yet?' position than anything else. If you don't go with Hooley..you go with Cremo or Andrews. And that's ignoring the fact Hooley led the team in FG% for any player with more than 6 shots. This game really would've been a near blow out without Hooley's production.

I personally thought he was pretty good today. He made a few bad decisions but he was trying to make something happen. He was the least of our problems today. I really wish we had our full compliment of kids... Having only two bigs sucked.

Patch, on 12 Dec 2015 - 11:49 PM, said:snapback.png

Very snide and irrelevant question... - Click

Honestly not meant to be click - but if someone has never been in a competitive basketball position they really don't have an idea of what's going on in a game or what drives a player.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have played and I have coached and often have listened to those that haven't and walked away shaking my head.

By no means did I try to say Peter played great but I do believe if you are going to accept his 20 pts you may have to live with (not like) his 4 turnovers.

Edited by Patch

Maybe it is because I don't live in the area or because I only spent 4 years in the area when I was at UA but this is just another non-conference game to me. I don't hate Siena any more or less than any other team we play in non-conf schedule. I don't get their fans or our fans hatred of the other team. I think I read in a post that the older fans remember the rivalry from the past and maybe that it is so maybe that is it. Either way, for me, I really don't see it. Their fans seem to be even worse with it and maybe that is because they were the only game in town for a while and they are threatened by UA's success? I don't know. Anyway.....

I haven't read much about this but I think not having Peters and Charles was a big problem for UA and they were still able to out rebound Siena which is impressive. I think the problem really showed on the defensive end with Sanders and Dallas covering players much bigger than them. I thought Hooley played a really good game. Yes, he makes mistakes and is wild at times but he has been that way his whole career but the good far outweighs the bad MOST of the time. Their 3,4,5 had 46 of their points. Our 3,4,5 (Stire, Rowley, Ray) had 21 and 12 of those came form Ray. The inside game is what lost us this game.

Oh well, on to the next one. Get ready for conference play.

You can't compare a freshmen to a senior or 5yr senior. Come on guys, really?... llko

Once you step on the court you lose your grade level you are just a player!

No I did not. Not sure what you are insinuating, but playing whatever you played doesn't necessarily make you an expert in all things basketball. Many a coach never played well and many a player never coached well.

I initially had a longer response typed up but I decided it's not worth beating that horse.

Edited by Ilko

I still can't believe their students rushed the court. I mean really? We most be that good!

Side note, watch the press conference. Brown has some choice words about next year's game, the 3rd "tournament" game and the pep bands placement.

Patsos also made I clear he knew his job was on the line with this game. Which is still crazy to me. Their fans should care about the NCAA not the Albany game, but I guess that shows their priorities.

This.
He mentioned something about the roof being blown off at SEFCU next year, he asked where the pep band was. He said the band's should be able to play. Was snark about it, as he should be. I think it was like "anyone see our pep band?" Etc. Then Wilken asked how he felt about heading back to TU after next year. Will said that's news to him, and does he have more info. As far as Will had heard he is playing a tournament at the TU in year 3. He was being sarcastic kinda.

Patsos made some comment about how it's great to play in front of 10k and Albany court holds 4500 but he is sure it'll be a good crowd. Little jab.

The two bands were playing at the same time at one point...I also didn't like that the announcer was saying things like, "Okay UA Band, you can stop playing now" over the loud speaker. The band didn't stop until they decided to stop and I liked that.

The brown thing I'm sure was just heat of the moment stuff...

Edited by Ilko

Congrats guys on a great college basketball game last night. I shouldn’t butt in…but can’t help myself

I don’t get the ragging on Peter Hooley? As a Siena fan he was player I feared the most ( maybe because I’m a big Peter Hooley fan- he is by far my favorite Dane) kid is an absolute warrior, was trying to make things happen out there and was only Dane that could consistently get inside without getting his shot swatted back at him. We want our players to be error free, but remember these kids are college kids, Peter played his heart out. And just my 2 cents -Without Peter Hooley last night UA loses that game by 15 to 20 points

I was very happy game wasn’t a 1 point loss for Joe Cremo- kid is a good looking freshmen and will be a great players for Danes down the road- he was beside himself after that ball went into hoop. Was impressed the way Brown and Basset consoled him after play

Anyway for those of you that attended the game, you got to see a very competitive fun college basketball game. UA has a very solid team and will win a lot of games this year. Good luck and see you next year at Sefcu!!

• Like 1

This.

The "reporter" started saying about next years game and then 2 at the knick was what Will was responding to .

Coach is absolutely right it should be one game at their home and 1 game at Albany home

Maybe it is because I don't live in the area or because I only spent 4 years in the area when I was at UA but this is just another non-conference game to me. I don't hate Siena any more or less than any other team we play in non-conf schedule. I don't get their fans or our fans hatred of the other team. I think I read in a post that the older fans remember the rivalry from the past and maybe that it is so maybe that is it. Either way, for me, I really don't see it. Their fans seem to be even worse with it and maybe that is because they were the only game in town for a while and they are threatened by UA's success? I don't know. Anyway.....

I haven't read much about this but I think not having Peters and Charles was a big problem for UA and they were still able to out rebound Siena which is impressive. I think the problem really showed on the defensive end with Sanders and Dallas covering players much bigger than them. I thought Hooley played a really good game. Yes, he makes mistakes and is wild at times but he has been that way his whole career but the good far outweighs the bad MOST of the time. Their 3,4,5 had 46 of their points. Our 3,4,5 (Stire, Rowley, Ray) had 21 and 12 of those came form Ray. The inside game is what lost us this game.

Oh well, on to the next one. Get ready for conference play.

I hear you and that was what it was too me originally. Before 99, I had hardly heard about them.

But being around that arrogant fan base and school (as well as some of the over the top sienna newspapers) many of who still thing they deserve a home game every year and from the day we went division 1 started talking how we would never accomplish what they have as if they had accomplishments similar to say UCLA , North Carolina or Duke to just name 3 is why they are hated on my end.

They are no better than any of the opponents that we play and worse than most if not all. They should always have been treated like a just any other opponent. In other words, even agree to play then as anything other than a home and home was ridiculous.

Edited by bob87

I took an "overnight" mandatory hiatus from posting, and I am glad I did. Some of the posts here are MIND-BOGGLING.

In any event, that Siena team is very good. They pretty much ran an extremely athletic Hofstra team out of the building. And if you don't know about Hofstra's talent this year...you just don't know how good and athletic they can be...as in NO ONE will want to play them in the NCAA's if they are the CAA rep. Heck, Stony Brook got waxed by Northeastern, and Hofstra is similar athletically to NU...with better BIGS.

Anyone ragging on Peter...should really just stop posting for a day or so. Upset about 4 TO's? Without him last night...we get our doors blown off. And, frankly, I do second Patch's comments that if you never played the game at a high level...you probably don't understand just exactly what he brought to the game last night.

Is this a loss I like? NO, heck no...I want to beat Siena. But oddly enough, as Click and I were discussing last night, I'm not bothered by the loss in the least. Losses to BU and USF...piss me off. However, Siena is very good...due for a win against us and (BY NO MEANS IS THIS AN EXCUSE), I think we lost a little bit of tactics with both Charles and Peters out, more specifically Charles. Both give more size and strength on the defensive end but, more importantly, against an athletic team...Charles 15 foot game and ability to make a move to the basket really would have spread out the court more. BUT I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR: it's not a losing excuse. Siena played their tails off.

In the end, I have a very good feeling that both Siena and Albany have a legit crack to take their respective titles...and that's a great thing for the Capital District.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 2