UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2019

9 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Anyone know why he is leaving SIU and what is his reason for applying for hardship status and what are the chances he gets accepted to play 2019-20???

He's leaving because of a coaching change. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-southern-illinois-barry-hinson-20190309-story.html

As for waiver...I think the fact that coach left and he red-shirted last year will play positively into his chance to play this year. I'd put those chances at 80/20 in our favor. Forcing him to sit one more year would result him losing 1 year of eligibility as you have 5 to play 4. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jimbo said:

https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/salukimania/former-saluki-forward-sam-shafer-headed-to-albany/article_bb457e1f-181b-507f-bd43-a30d86a761ef.html

The program is in a bit of turmoil, new coach, multiple transfers out and multiple new players and transfers in. It doesn't address the hardship part though.

The SIU situtation sounds a little like the coaching change at Nevada that Joseph Anderson left to come to Albany.

For players who have gone through coaching changes, it seems like one of the many things Albany offers is the stability of CB. A lot of times in college basketball we talk about coaches who hop to power conferences but there are some midmajor coaches who have stayed in one place and built reputations for themselves, - guys like Rick Byrd at Belmont, Greg Kampe at Oakland and Bob McKillop at Davidson. CB seems to be entering that conversation is he isn't there already.

• Like 2

I feel like I say it every season, as we get a little overly excited for our recruits, but I am not sure where the playing time is going to come from. With Campbell, Miller, Brooks, and Flory leaving, the team is really only opening up about 40 minutes per game of playing time. 

The team added JoJo Anderson and Sam Shafer as transfers that will both be looking for minutes right away. Add Doherty and Hutcheson as highly regarded freshman. deSousa should play significantly more minutes than last season. I see Lauderdale progressing and getting more minutes as a senior. Hank and French have both had another year of development and should get more time. Jerotic will now be a freshman and the reports I have heard on his development have been positive. 

The good thing is that the team will still be mostly underclassman, and the team will only lose Clark and Lauderdale after this season (barring transfers or the early graduation of Healy/Lulka). 

I love Eli's spreadsheets and updates, but it is hard to read sometimes:

Current 2019-2020 Roster by Class Year 

Seniors

• Ahmad Clark (PG/SG)
  • Kendall Lauderdale (PF)
  • Nick Fruscio (Walk On) (PG)

Juniors

• Sasha French (C)
  • JoJo Anderson (PG)

Sophomores

• Cameron Healy (SG/PG)
  • Antonio Rizzuto (SG)
  • Malachi de Sousa (SF)
  • Adam Lulka (PF)
  • Brent Hank (C)

Freshman

• Nikola Jerotic (SF)
  • Sam Shafer (SF/SG)
  • Trey Hutcheson (SF)
  • Mitch Doherty (PF)
Edited by godanesgo99

Current 2019-2020 Roster by Position

Point Guard

• Ahmad Clark (6'1") (SG)
  • JoJo Anderson (6'3")
  • Nick Fruscio (Walk On) (5'10")

Shooting Guard

• Cameron Healy (6'3") (PG)
  • Antonio Rizzuto (6'3")

Wing / Small Forward

• Malachi de Sousa (6'6")
  • Sam Shafer (6'6") (SG)
  • Nikola Jerotic (6'7")
  • Trey Hutcheson (6'5")

Power Forward

• Adam Lulka (6'8")
  • Kendall Lauderdale (6'8")
  • Mitch Doherty (6'7")

Center

• Brent Hank (6' 10")
  • Sasha French (6'11")
Edited by godanesgo99

36 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Current 2019-2020 Roster by Position

Point Guard

• Ahmad Clark (6'1") (SG)
  • JoJo Anderson (6'3")
  • Nick Fruscio (Walk On) (5'10")

Shooting Guard

• Cameron Healy (6'3") (PG)
  • Antonio Rizzuto (6'3")

Wing / Small Forward

• Malachi de Sousa (6'6")
  • Sam Shafer (6'6") (SG)
  • Nikola Jerotic (6'7")
  • Trey Hutcheson (6'5")

Power Forward

• Adam Lulka (6'8")
  • Kendall Lauderdale (6'8")
  • Mitch Doherty (6'7")

Center

• Brent Hank (6' 10")
  • Sasha French (6'11")

As I see it right now..

PG - Clark/Jojo

SG - Healy/Rizzuto/Jojo/Shafer

SF - Rizzuto/DeSousa/Shafer

PF - DeSousa/Doherty/Lauderdale/Shefer

C   - Lulka/Lauderdale/Hanks

I think Hutch may be 'shirted and Jerotic and French will play mop-up minutes at least based on last year results. 

BTW, the size of this roster and length may be one of the most impressive we've seen at UA to date. Athleticism should be up as well as JoJo and Shefer are very good athletes for this level. Hutch is pretty good as well. All are long and lanky. 

Edited by Clickclack

Run a cuse style 2-3 zone in conference play? French in the middle, Lauderdale and Lulka on the bottom, de Sousa and Shafer up front (if you could trust Malachi or Shafer to bring up the ball). With the 3 point line being deeper this year, this could be a scary thing for opponents to see. A lot of length. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Run a cuse style 2-3 zone in conference play? French in the middle, Lauderdale and Lulka on the bottom, de Sousa and Shafer up front (if you could trust Malachi or Shafer to bring up the ball). With the 3 point line being deeper this year, this could be a scary thing for opponents to see. A lot of length. 

Maybe but it seems like the chances are better of Bob87 dancing with the Siena cheer team than CB committing to playing that much zone.

Surprised to see people having DeSouza in the PF spot. I thought he was just scratching the surface as a wing last season.

I think Lauderdale is a guy who could make a jump next year. He rebounded well for the minutes he had and the combo of him and Lulka on the court together were probably our most offensive bigs.

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but I’d much rather have too many good players competing and fighting for playing time, than being forced to play mediocre players.  Let the competition sort it out and the cream will rise to the top. Or at least it should.  Unless of course the team is homogenized.... oh wait, that’s the milk we used to get in bottles. Oh never mind. My age is showing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Call me crazy, but I’d much rather have too many good players competing and fighting for playing time, than being forced to play mediocre players.  Let the competition sort it out and the cream will rise to the top. Or at least it should.  Unless of course the team is homogenized.... oh wait, that’s the milk we used to get in bottles. Oh never mind. My age is showing...

Agreed.  And not just good players fighting...but quality kids.  For all intents, and from what I have heard, all of these kids are in the Will Brown mode.  Meaning, they are high character kids.  

Teams win championships. Depth is super important.  Of course everyone wants to play but a team realizes that each individual has a role and playing that role wins a title. 

On 6/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, godanesgo99 said:

My spreadsheets, after feedback from this forum, are based on their 'official' VC position and then seniority.

C to PG, then Sr to Fr.

That being said, since Johnson is off the board and Hutchins has reclassified to HS2020:

UAlbany Men's Roster 2019-2020					

Name				Position	Height	Weight	Year		Status
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brent Hank			C		6'10"	245	RSo.		Returning
Kendall Lauderdale		PF		6'8"	240	RSr. (JUCO)	Returning
Sasha French			PF		6'11"	215	RJr. (JUCO)	Returning
Adam Lulka			PF		6'8"	240	RSo.		Returning
Mitch Doherty			PF		6'7"	180	Fr.		Incoming
Malachi de Sousa		SF		6'5"	200	So.		Returning
Nikola Jerotic			SF		6'7"	215	So.		Returning
Trey Hutcheson			SF		6'5"	-	Fr.		Incoming
Sam Shafer			SG		6'6"	190	RFr.		Incoming
JoJo Anderson			PG		6'3"	170	Jr. 		Incoming
Ahmad Clark			PG		6'1"	170	Sr. (JUCO)	Returning
Cam Healey			PG		6'2"	185	RSo.		Returning
Antonio Rizzuto			PG		6'3"	180	So.		Returning
Nick Fruscio			PG		5'10"	155	Sr.		Returning

Possible Signings		Position	Height	Weight	Year		Status
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Adewunmi**		SG		6'4"	195	Jr. (JUCO)	Offered
--------------------------------- Going Elsewhere ------------------------------------
DeVale Johnson**		SF		6'7"	185	Jr. (JUCO)	Rhode Island
Derrick Cook**			SG		6'4"	190	Jr. (JUCO)	Jacksonville State
Gerald Drumgoole**		SG		6'5"	195	HS2019		Pittsburg
Cornelius Taylor**		PG		6'0"	180	Sr. (Grad)	Florida Atlantic
Joseph Girard III**		PG		6'1"	170	HS2019		Syracuse
Isaiah Stevens**		PG		5'10"	N/A	HS2019		Colorado State
Jarod Lucas**			PG		6'3"	170	HS2019		Oregon State
August Mahoney**		PG		6'2"	165	HS2019		Yale
Greg Dolan**			PG		6'3"	170	HS2019		Cornell

Possible Departures	Reason
---------------------------------			
Nikola Jerotić		Playing Time/Competition Level