UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2018

Just now, Patch said:

Click I'm in total agreement about highlight tapes BUT.........

I'm just amazed how fast the staff got commitments on the perimeter especially since their main focus all season was probablywas probably on Bigs for next season!!!!

Noted, now let's see if they can play. They look great on paper. 

6 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

There's literally no pressure on anyone next season. Hopefully they can all play loose and adjust as we go. Whatever happens happens. Can't get worse than a first round exit this year in the quarters.

This, honestly I'd be pleased with a winning season next year. With this much youth, almost an entirely brand new roster on the court. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Click I'm in total agreement about highlight tapes BUT.........

I'm just amazed how fast the staff got commitments on the perimeter especially since their main focus all season was probably was on Bigs for next season!!!!

The speed makes me ponder whether WB and staff knew something was coming with the transfers before the end of the season but who knows. I doubt it but......

Edited by DanesRGood
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, UA'08 said:

There's literally no pressure on anyone next season. Hopefully they can all play loose and adjust as we go. Whatever happens happens. Can't get worse than a first round exit this year in the quarters.

There is the battle for who gets to sit at home and watch the playoffs on ESPN3 (err the new ESPN+) but I doubt we will sink the the Bing level. 

Start Clark, Healy, Campbell, Lulka, and French. Get significant minutes from any combo of deSousa, Rizzuto, Hank, Lauderdale, Fromm, and Brooks.

It is silly to say, but the team actually looks better and deeper next year. Gotta keep the purple and gold glasses in check though because the team looked deep this year, yet only 7 played any significant minutes, and look how that turned out. 

I'd love to see the America East deal with a lineup of: Healy, deSousa, Campbell, Hank, and French. (6'3", 6'6", 6'6", 6'10", 6'11") or maybe: Brooks, Clark, Fromm, deSousa, Campbell (5'9", 6'1", 6'4", 6'6", 6'6") Both would be fun to watch. 

Man he looks fantastic on video... Clickclack[/quote]

With all recruits it's wait and watch but I do like what I've seen and the shooting % of Fromm and Brooks look very good. How it translate to DI we'll have to wait and find out but on paper it seems that with this recruiting class and our redshirts our 3 pt shooting should be VASTLY improved. 

Edited by Patch

I like that the emphasis seems to be on shooters regardless of position. That seemed like an achilles heel last year.

Both Brooks and Devonte Campbell are from the Toronto area. In general, I like the smaller guys like Brooks who seem to have something to prove. I thought DJ Evans and both Iati brothers had that "heart over height" thing going. They are easy players to root for.

Any long time followers of the program will remember the NCAA used to have a rule limiting how many players you could bring in any one recruiting class. This rule hampered CB when he was trying to build a roster when he first took over. Now he's going to have an enormous recruiting class, in part, because of the NCAA rule that allows grad transfers and turns mid-majors into a farm system for the power 5 conferences.

As much as Cremo and Nichols leaving were a splash of cold water in the face there is still some hope. Clark, Healy and Campbell have a year together despite Healy not playing. Hopefully that offers some cohesiveness in the backcourt early on. 

• Like 1

As I’ve mentioned before, UA now measures its success by AE championships and NCAA trips. Winning seasons, 20 win seasons, success in conference games is all great and something to strive for every year. But if there’s no trophy at the end of the year there’s a big empty feeling. We’ve had a good group of kids the last few years, but they could not exceed opponents at the end of the season. Sometimes the other team was better and sometimes there was an almost inexplicable letdown of effort and execution at the worst possible moment. In many respects I am happy there is going to be major changes in the lineup because whatever the team had the last few years it was not enough to get over the hump. Why not shake it up and roll the dice that a new chemistry will emerge with eager young players looking for NCAA success? It’ll be like waking up on Christmas morning with a bunch of new toys. Let’s see what WB can put together with what looks to be a very athletic group. 

• Like 2