UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2018

My prediction: it all comes down to two things 1) how quickly the kids pick up the system and 2) how much Coach (prodded by the staff) lets the leash out with what seems to be a talented but insanely inexperienced group.  I prefer going 10 deep and losing OOC games if need be.  This is about making a run this year but really building for next year and the year after.  

The four guys I’m interested in seeing what they bring right away: Rizzuto, Healy, Starks, and Fromm.  I say that because how they go could say a lot about playing time.  It’s going to be an interesting battle at every position with a lot of guys who can play a lot of roles.  I really think we will see a lot of Villanova style offense with a big and guards abound.  Rizzuto, Fromm, DeSouza, and Flory all look like they can post guys up.  Same with Healy. 

My early guess is that French is versatile enough and Lulka such a highly touted straight “4”...that we will see those guys start at PF and Center...unless Coach really wants experience and D and starts Campbell at the 4.  I think we see a lot of Campbell at the 4 as his offense won’t be as necessary this year. If Campbell starts on the bench, he’s the first 3-4 off and Lauderdale is the first true big off the bench.  He reminds me a bit of a smoother Jimmy Covington.  I think this is a year of spot time for Hanks (remember Puk was the same). 

Love Clark’s mindset and team attitude but he’s going to have to really fight for minutes.

if De Souza plays any defense, he’s going to get many minutes.  Both he and Rizzuto were players with a lot of hype and recruitment...but DeSouza is a straight stud at our level.  Defense will get him time. 

I think we will have a balanced attack with Starks, Flory, Healy and Fromm.  

Bottom line would be great to see a guard or two redshirt and for the remainder of 1-3 positions playing 20-25 minutes a night  

I think red shirts are doubtful.

CB will have to find a way to play more guys.

With CB Defense will be the deciding factor we'll see who is a willing and skilled defender.

At the PG position we need someone who is willing to set the tempo by being unselfish.

Hanks and French will be essential to the team's success they will give us 2 different looks at the 5 and I won't be surprised to see Lulka play some 5 too.

To all the Campbell haters I expect him to have a solid year offensively next season.

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

Not a Campbell hater; but what bothered me more than his offensive struggles was his defense seemed to go south also. "Maybe" his offensive struggles were effecting his defense, but especially in the second half of conference play, his defense was no better and than anyone else on the team. And, I have not checked the #s, but I bet you will also find his rebounding declined as the season progressed.

41 minutes ago, Patch said:

With CB Defense will be the deciding factor we'll see who is a willing and skilled defender.

At the PG position we need someone who is willing to set the tempo by being unselfish.

Hanks and French will be essential to the team's success they will give us 2 different looks at the 5 and I won't be surprised to see Lulka play some 5 too.

To all the Campbell haters I expect him to have a solid year offensively next season.

Campbell is bigly overrated...if he's playing significant minutes next season that's not good. Would be a solid role/bench player. 

Not a Campbell hater...but he had a terrible offensive year.  Terrible.  If he sticks to the "Charles-game" (15 feet in), he's going to be very effective.  His outside game was just awful last year.  

I like Campbell alot...but i think he tried to do too much last year and it affected his entire game.

51 minutes ago, Patch said:

I'm not a huge Campbell fan but that does not mean he cant improve.  I'm curious to see what you consider solid? He averaged 7 points 4 rebounds last season. 

18 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Not a Campbell hater...but he had a terrible offensive year.  Terrible.  If he sticks to the "Charles-game" (15 feet in), he's going to be very effective.  His outside game was just awful last year.  

I like Campbell alot...but i think he tried to do too much last year and it affected his entire game.

Campbell needs to drive and finish or come around a screen going to the hoop. Any notion that he can shoot anything outside of a layup I think is misguided. 

He shot 53% from 2 which was mostly layups and drives and 14% from 3. The year prior as a sophomore he shot 33% from three. That's not good, the 33% even in a good year for him. Except Campbell for what he is, a steady defensive player (also over-rated a little on D) and a solid overall role player who needs to be a 3rd or 4th option.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

Devonte needs to be more efficient offensively the numbers may be the same (7 & 4) or slightly better.

Defensively he was solid (the opposing coaches told us this "All Defensive"). He was really hurt by the other guys on the perimeter. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Patch said:

Devonte needs to be more efficient offensively the numbers may be the same (7 & 4) or slightly better.

Defensively he was solid (the opposing coaches told us this "All Defensive"). He was really hurt by the other guys on the perimeter. 

Fair point about him having to help on whomever Cremo was guarding...Devonte needs to realize he's not a shooter. His offensive efficiency believe it or not was not horrible but he needs to realize his offense needs to come when he picks his spots, drives and finishes at the rim. He fell in love with the 3 putting up 20 more than his sophomore year with far worse results. He's a good FT shooter, he needs to drive although he would be helped with some ball-handling work. 

2 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Honestly, unless we hit home runs on 2-3 guys that we picked up, he'll have to do MORE this year as the most senior person on the team me thinks. That's why I said a few days ago that players understanding their abilities and roles is VITAL to us being a good team. If people try to do too much or do something they shouldn't be doing (Devonte firing up bricks from 3), we may still win a good number of games on talent alone but we'll bite the dust in the conference tourney again. Hopefully Brown can get everyone to buy in and play to their individual strengths as part of a group as opposed to just winging it or going off script most nights.

• Like 1

Count me in the Campbell fan department, and in the beginning of the season I was happy with him taking the three point shots. As it became apparent he was missing 85% of them, it was time for a change. Defenses literally played off of him and begged him to shoot it. This limited his ability to drive to the rim, and allowed the opponents better team defense as the sagging defender was able to help others. Either he needs to figure out why the shots aren't falling (could be angle, could be rotation, could be a lot of things) and fix it, or he needs to move to the 4 and have a Charles type role. If he can't bang around inside and play the 4 or hit the open 3, then he needs a much reduced role, no matter how much it pains me to say it. That said, I am betting on a big improvement and him staying at the wing. No more Nichols and Cremo, so he will be more of a focal point. 

I am guessing Campbell is the captain for this season, maybe co-captain with Clark. Both have great presence and I think they can both become vocal leaders for the team. Their leadership will ultimately decide the direction of the team. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

Haven't seen the newbies yet and highlight videos are a joke (no one misses) unless they show some athleticism, dunks over someone.

So I have no idea what we have but it does appear that the coaching staff has done a solid job filling out the roster.  We seem 2 or 3 deep everywhere.

Edited by Patch
  • Like 2