UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2018

Dougherty in the T-U says from "various reports" we're taking Rayshawn Miller (UMass), Philip Flory (walked on at Seton Hall) and Jeremiah Starks (Cowley CC, Kansas)

https://www.timesunion.com/ualbany/article/UAlbany-basketball-13024414.php

The lineup:

Reece Brooks    5-9    PG    Jr.    Clarendon JC Brampton, Ontario
Devonte Campbell 6-6    SG    Sr.    Culver Academies    Vaughan, Ontario
Ahmad Clark 6-1    PG    Jr.    DeMatha Catholic HS    Bowie, Md.
Malachi de Sousa    6-6    SF    Fr.    South Kent Prep (Conn.)    Somers, N.Y.
Philip Flory    6-5    SG    So.    Seton Hall Oshkosh, Wis.
Sasha French    6-10    C    So.    Napa Valley JC    Napa, Calif.
Nick Fruscio*    5-10    PG    Jr.    Albany Academy    Albany, N.Y.
Brent Hank 6-10    C    RFr.    Trinity College HS    Port Lincoln, Australia
Cameron Healy 6-3    SG    RFr. Monteverde Academy (Fla.)    Sydney, Australia
Kendall Lauderdale    6-8    PF    Jr.    San Bernandino Valley    Brea, Calif.
Adam Lukla 6-8    PF    RFr.    The King's School, Parramatta    Sydney, Australia
Rayshawn Miller    6-1    PG    Sr. Massachusetts    Boston, Mass.
Antonio Rizzuto    6-3    PG    Fr. Northeastern HS    Mount Wolf, Pa.
Jeremiah Starks    6-2    PG    RSo.    Cowley CC    Suwanee, Ga.

boldface indicates returning player from last year

* -- non-scholarship player

16 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Or a paper just listing kids where they won't play...

Not everyone is a PG.

Brown has often espoused position-less basketball...it's all the rage in the NBA as well. I don't see 5 PG's...I see 5 or 6 kids that can play the 1 or 2 and some of them can even provide depth at the 3 in spurts.  

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

I was trying to wrap my head around the lineup for the coming season, but frankly it is a fools errand. We seem to get it wrong every year. People we bring in that were hyped sit the bench (example: Cochran), and people we know nothing about excel (Example: Singletary/Sanders).

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the starting 5 on day 1 be:

• PG: Clark
  • SG: Flory
  • Wing: Campbell
  • Forward: Lulka
  • Center: French 
  • First off the bench: Healy, deSousa, Lauderdale, Brooks

9 would be one of the bigger rotations we have had. Miller wouldn't come unless he could get minutes and Brown likes defense. Supposedly Hank has become a defensive force as well, but needs work on the offensive end. Rizzuto and Starks are both touted. Not going to be an easy job. Could be an incredible season, or a rebuilding disappointment. 

but again, who knows at this point. The good thing is that it looks like only Campbell is guaranteed a starting spot. Everything else will be a battle for minutes. These types of battles can many times improve a team greatly. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

I was trying to wrap my head around the lineup for the coming season, but frankly it is a fools errand. We seem to get it wrong every year. People we bring in that were hyped sit the bench (example: Cochran), and people we know nothing about excel (Example: Singletary/Sanders).

9 would be one of the bigger rotations we have had. Miller wouldn't come unless he could get minutes and Brown likes defense. Supposedly Hank has become a defensive force as well, but needs work on the offensive end. Rizzuto and Starks are both touted. Not going to be an easy job. Could be an incredible season, or a rebuilding disappointment. 

but again, who knows at this point. The good thing is that it looks like only Campbell is guaranteed a starting spot. Everything else will be a battle for minutes. These types of battles can many times improve a team greatly. 

Gotta find a spot somewhere for Rizzuto, a really talented kid as well as the big Aussie

40 minutes ago, Clickclack said:
1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

Why does Campbell have a 'guaranteed starting spot'? Perhaps he does, but two years ago he was better than he was last year. 

• Like 2

RE: Rizzuto - I agree he needs a spot. But it will end up being if he earns it. Same thing with deSousa. On the same note, I wouldn't be surprised at all if either Red Shirt. They both seem good enough on day 1, but why not allow them a year to grow and get the ability to do a Cremo/Nichols grad transfer if they want to?

RE: Campbell - He probably isn't "guaranteed" a spot, but with Brown's focus on defense, and with him being the senior member of the team, I would think he would have to blow it to lose it, not earn it to get it.  

11 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

RE: Rizzuto - I agree he needs a spot. But it will end up being if he earns it. Same thing with deSousa. On the same note, I wouldn't be surprised at all if either Red Shirt. They both seem good enough on day 1, but why not allow them a year to grow and get the ability to do a Cremo/Nichols grad transfer if they want to?

RE: Campbell - He probably isn't "guaranteed" a spot, but with Brown's focus on defense, and with him being the senior member of the team, I would think he would have to blow it to lose it, not earn it to get it.  

I don't see the talent or size depth at the wing to 'shirt DeSousa...Guard maybe. 

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

If I had to guess now..this is where I'd be as well. I think the SG spot will be the best battle. Need a good scorer there. Clark showed flashes and will hopefully continue to improve..but it's always tough to be the ballhander and top offensive option. Campbell gives you size and defense at the wing..but obviously isn't a go-to offensive threat. It sounds like Lulka might be able to spread the floor a bit..which is something we haven't really seen from the PF spot consistently since Brent Wilson. 

Have to admit, I'm not as sold on Flory as other people seem to be. I'm much more wait and see but I'll be happy to be wrong about him.

To me, guys who already know our system have an advantage coming in so it wouldn't surprise me to see Clark and Healy in the back court. I thought Clark was as talented as anyone we put on the court last year so he was kind of a mystery. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

wouldn't be at all surprised to see the starting 5 on day 1 be:

I'll play the guessing game. As of today with having no clue whose game has progressed and how anyone looks... I'll go:

Clark, Rizzuto, Campbell, Lulka, French

Seems like the ultimate "whoever plays hard defense and learns the offense the fastest gets to start" type of year.

Hate to be a downer but I foresee some very unhappy players next year due to lack of playing time and more transfers at the end of the year.  I really hope I'm wrong but many of these young men were probably recruited with open roster/playing time as a big draw only to see more players brought in later who will most likely take their playing time. I REALLY hope I'm wrong.  

9 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

Hate to be a downer but I foresee some very unhappy players next year due to lack of playing time and more transfers at the end of the year.  I really hope I'm wrong but many of these young men were probably recruited with open roster/playing time as a big draw only to see more players brought in later who will most likely take their playing time. I REALLY hope I'm wrong.  

I'm not sure this is a bad thing, unless the staff promised them playing time. The selling point was that the team had only 1 starter, and 1 rotation guy returning. If they said to the recruits that we are recruiting the best players we can find as we want to compete for a trip to the dance every year, and if you come you will be given every opportunity to earn a spot and even a starting spot, then they were being honest.

I used to hate the increase in transfers, and used to not like it when players are recruited over, but at the end of the day it is up to the staff to recruit the best players possible, it is the responsibility of the players to work hard and earn their time. The coaches need to be honest with the players about what they need to do if they want to be on the floor, what their chances are to get on the floor in the future, and motivate them to do what they have to do to help the team. If they aren't going to play, have no path to play, then let them move on to where they will be happy.

It seems harsh, but if they move on, then the team has the opportunity to attempt to recruit over the players that are left: thus improving the team for their following season.

• Like 1