UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Jones Leaving....

Clickclack

As for the bus incident, don't know much about it... another incident of someone yelling 'racist' again?

It was a national headline grabber.

Not yelling. Couple of white kids got into it physically with some black girls and the black girls accused the white kids of racism, got the schools support, a 'candlight vigil' (or whatever type thing) at the LC one night where a few hundred people showed up, a public statement from said idiotic school president before ANY information was known, etc. etc. Turns out...the black girls lied and they are the ones who started the whole fight/thing (there was a few cameras on the CDTA bus this happened on). School president then never apologized for his rash jump to conclusions before he had all the information in which he basically said that the perpetrators of the crime will be brought to justice - meaning the white kids. When it came out the opposite happened, that the black girls were the real issue, his rhetoric was was turned down considerably and he basically played the whole thing off like no big deal.

I personally sent 4 emails to him and his chief of staff asking for an explanation...so...hence I'm glad this racist toolbag is leaving. If you disagree with my take on his statements, etc...that's fine. But with everything going on in this country at the moment, his actions a few months ago were not a good representation of this schools leadership.

Would not be surprised if behind the scenes he got some heat for that incident and this played a role in his leaving.

Don't let the door hit ya where God split ya, Jonesy. Peace.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

While overall I am sorry that we must now look for another president; but on several levels I am not really bummed by his departure. I agree with Eli, that even though he MAY have been a great administrator, he was NOT very articulate. His handling of the bus incident and his lack of admission of bumbling, left UA with a black eye nationally but little or no national exposure rectifying the poor light the incident erroneously cast on the University. But most disappointing was his lack of any sort of FIGHT with the departure of NANO and more importantly lack of any financial restitution for the loss.{especially the loss of the LAND--and yes I still see that, as a big a loss as the school itself.} Lastly, even though the "affiliations" are a good thing and heading in the right direction, I feel a stronger UA president would have insisted on a timeline for FULL takeover or at the very least let it be KNOWN that this is the goal [and I do not think Jones has done this; but perhaps he is just being diplomatic??]

Also, 60 days notice @ the level of University President is not very professional. Customary would be at least a year and leaving at the end of the academic year not the begging would be more appropriate. Unless of course he was being forced out?

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 3

As for the bus incident, don't know much about it... another incident of someone yelling 'racist' again?

Not yelling. Couple of white kids got into it physically with some black girls and the black girls accused the white kids of racism, got the schools support, a 'candlight vigil' (or whatever type thing) at the LC one night where a few hundred people showed up, a public statement from said idiotic school president before ANY information was known, etc. etc. Turns out...the black girls lied and they are the ones who started the whole fight/thing (there was a few cameras on the CDTA bus this happened on). School president then never apologized for his rash jump to conclusions before he had all the information in which he basically said that the perpetrators of the crime will be brought to justice - meaning the white kids. When it came out the opposite happened, that the black girls were the real issue, his rhetoric was was turned down considerably and he basically played the whole thing off like no big deal.

Maybe he's related to al sharpton

• Like 1

While overall I am sorry that we must now look for another president; but on several levels I am not really bummed by his departure. I agree with Eli, that even though he MAY have been a great administrator, he was NOT very articulate. His handling of the bus incident and his lack of admission of bumbling, left UA with a black eye nationally but little or no national exposure rectifying the poor light the incident erroneously cast on the University. But most disappointing was his lack of any sort of FIGHT with the departure of NANO and more importantly lack of any financial restitution for the loss.{especially the loss of the LAND--and yes I still see that, as a big a loss as the school itself.} Lastly, even though the "affiliations" are a good thing and heading in the right direction, I feel a stronger UA president would have insisted on a timeline for FULL takeover or at the very least let it be KNOWN that this is the goal [and I do not think Jones has done this; but perhaps he is just being diplomatic??]

Also, 60 days notice @ the level of University President is not very professional. Customary would be at least a year and leaving at the end of the academic year not the begging would be more appropriate. Unless of course he was being forced out?

Agreed on all counts. I truly thing he's being forced out but being given the chance to leave as if it's of his own doing and volition. As we all know, this happens a lot...especially at the upper end of the work force.

Agreed on all counts. I truly thing he's being forced out but being given the chance to leave as if it's of his own doing and volition. As we all know, this happens a lot...especially at the upper end of the work force.

It's a better job, that's a pretty good force out for him.

It's a better job, that's a pretty good force out for him.

Yep, he certainly seems to have benefited from his lack of a backbone. Good for him...but I think, ultimately, better for us.

I don't disagree that President Jones handled the false racism charged poorly.

That said I was excited to see some much necessary expansion of the university in law and engineering.

My concern is having this position open for 12 to 18 months. Filling it with temps. We need an advocate for UA growth. I feel the churn in this position is why we lag SBU and UB.

Further every time this position opens there is risk of filling the position with an anti football zealot. May low chance but still scary.

I personally sent 4 emails to him and his chief of staff asking for an explanation...so...hence I'm glad this racist toolbag is leaving. If you disagree with my take on his statements, etc...that's fine. But with everything going on in this country at the moment, his actions a few months ago were not a good representation of this schools leadership.

Would not be surprised if behind the scenes he got some heat for that incident and this played a role in his leaving.

Don't let the door hit ya where God split ya, Jonesy. Peace.

I know this forum is not supposed to be about politics, but regarding the rush to judgment, do you remember Hillary's tweet sympathetic to the black women. I find there's a the rushing to judgment seems to be an epidemic. Maybe we can all learn from this incident.

• Like 1

I know this forum is not supposed to be about politics, but regarding the rush to judgment, do you remember Hillary's tweet sympathetic to the black women. I find there's a the rushing to judgment seems to be an epidemic. Maybe we can all learn from this incident.

I wouldn't be surprised if the move was political. Realize the new job is in Illinois.

Edited by godanesgo99

Getting back on track with the actual issue of the position and the eventual search..I took a look at who the finalists were for the 2012 search. They included (with their current position):

Robert Jones

Susan Phillips - former UAlbany Provost..current professor

Robert Palazzo - University of Alabama Birmingham Dean

Carlos Santiago - former UAlbany provost..current Commissioner of the MA Department of Higher Ed

Bjong Wolf Yeigh - President of the University of Washington, Bothell

John Roberts - former University of Houston Dean

Valerie Hardcastle - former University of Cincinnati Dean, current professor

Carlo Montemagno - former University of Cincinnati Dean, current University of Alberta professor

Steve Ballard - President of East Carolina University

David Wilson - President of Morgan State University..was a finalist, but withdrew before the list was whittled down

President Philip announced his plans to retire in November 2011. President Jones was hired in September 2012 and began in January 2013.

• Like 2

That said I was excited to see some much necessary expansion of the university in law and engineering.

My concern is having this position open for 12 to 18 months. Filling it with temps. We need an advocate for UA growth. I feel the churn in this position is why we lag SBU and UB.

Further every time this position opens there is risk of filling the position with an anti football zealot. May low chance but still scary.

He's done some good things for the school but for me personally, your third line is what I fear most. Having no strong leadership creates a void and puts us at a disadvantage. I won't for a minute miss him, the racial incident that has been brought up has forever tainted him as a leader in my eyes. Lets call a spade a spade, he responded as a classic racist would. I get it, we all make mistakes, but he had MANY opportunities to right that wrong and refused to do so and to this day has not...which leads me to no other conclusion but GET OUT! People in his position have an obligation to lead, he only "led" until the facts came out, his true leadership came to light when he ran from the obligation like a coward.

The focus should be to move quickly and fill the role with a dedicated, charismatics, politically savvy, results oriented leader that will further enhance the mission of this great flagship campus of the NYS higher education system.

Edited by Clickclack

He's done some good things for the school but for me personally, your third line is what I fear most. Having no strong leadership creates a void and puts us at a disadvantage. I won't for a minute miss him, the racial incident that has been brought up has forever tainted him as a leader in my eyes. Lets call a spade a spade, he responded as a classic racist would. I get it, we all make mistakes, but he had MANY opportunities to right that wrong and refused to do so and to this day has not...which leads me to no other conclusion but GET OUT! People in his position have an obligation to lead, he only "led" until the facts came out, his true leadership came to light when he ran from the obligation like a coward.

The focus should be to move quickly and fill the role with a dedicated, charismatics, politically savvy, results oriented leader that will further enhance the mission of this great flagship campus of the NYS higher education system.

And one who, while maybe not being a sports fanatic themselves, understands the benefits of a strong sports offering and what such an athletic department can do for a community and school. Obviously, Jones like sports...and that was good for us. As others have said, that's a chief worry in a new candidate...hopefully we don't get one of those classic anti-sports hardliners that we have floating around our campus.

Edited by Eli

Getting back on track with the actual issue of the position and the eventual search..I took a look at who the finalists were for the 2012 search. They included (with their current position):

Robert Jones

Susan Phillips - former UAlbany Provost..current professor

Robert Palazzo - University of Alabama Birmingham Dean

Carlos Santiago - former UAlbany provost..current Commissioner of the MA Department of Higher Ed

Bjong Wolf Yeigh - President of the University of Washington, Bothell

John Roberts - former University of Houston Dean

Valerie Hardcastle - former University of Cincinnati Dean, current professor

Carlo Montemagno - former University of Cincinnati Dean, current University of Alberta professor

Steve Ballard - President of East Carolina University

David Wilson - President of Morgan State University..was a finalist, but withdrew before the list was whittled down

President Philip announced his plans to retire in November 2011. President Jones was hired in September 2012 and began in January 2013.

I'd pass on Palazzo, and Santiago, purely from an athletics perspective.