UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs Holy Cross - 9/17/16 at 7PM

Glad we won. Sussman was great and Hanks superb. As was the line Dolce had a monster game at DE. Lots of players dinged up and too bad about #27.

Two complaints, one major and one minor. Apparently some asst AD made a decision to deny the use of previously purchased stadium seats in attempting to force patrons to rent the ones there. From what I hear there was a firestorm of disgruntled folks, including me. I pitched a fit and they allowed us to bring them in but only for this game. WTF???? So they've been selling stadium seats to use at the stadium and now are preventing people from bringing them into the stadium? Who is in charge of this idiocy? And they want us to contribute and join GDAC and fork over money to be treated this way? Ruined my evening to be honest. Minor complaint: concession lines were awful. No grab and go for water and popcorn. GDAC hospitality was easy to get into but they did not sell anything but alcoholic beverages. No water, no soda, no juice....come on people, I know this is new, but you have to do better than that. If we can't bring our seats in and are limited to booze in the GDAC section what's the point of joining? I'll stop all athletic dept contributions and use the money to pay for overpriced parking and the stupid rent-a-seats.

Ok, rant is over, but the athletic department is going to get an earful this week, and from what I heard a lot more disgruntled people. Way to build a fan base UA!

THANKS for blogging these complaints. RIGHT ON 100%. I complained bitterly to Casey Crandall & others about the stadium seats. They said they knew nothing about the new rule and would look into it. I wonder how many people were happy about walking back to Dutch to put their seats away. I was parked in sefcu and it was only a short walk and I did not use my seat and my BACK is really barking this AM. I did not know or see that they relented; but I can assure you next week I am bringing mine in or they can arrest me! Stay tuned.

I also was very disappointed about the lack of food and non-alcoholic beverages in the purple hospitality area. I did not complain because I was already so incensed about the stadium seats, that I thought it might have been childish to complain about hospitality. But I am glad you brought it up. Speaking of hospitality and fan friendliness I also think it is awful that you cannot bring your own food/snacks in. Even Yankee stadium {the GOD of Concessionism} allows carry-in, and many stadiums have family picnic areas.

Anyhow, GREAT GAME -- even though it took me until UA's first touchdown to get out of my funk and to start enjoying the game. I also wonder how many casual fans we are discouraging by sending them on a 2.3 mile ride around UA to pay an exorbitant amount for parking.

• Like 2

Last night:

Legit CAA stadium.

Legit CAA crowd.

Legit CAA team.

Can we please have someone else running the ball late in the fourth quarter when the game is decided? Hanks had done enough by that point.

Sorry DP, but if Casey stadium is legit CAA, I think I rather go back to UA field and the Northeast. The policies are very non-fan friendly, ticket prices are outrageous, and you cannot buy a concession without missing a quarter of the game. My name is ON the plaque dedicating the new stadium, but I am getting more and more discouraged about the place. (see also other rant above).

I do agree they should have pulled Hanks in the 4th. I yelled at coach about this and the lady next to me offered his phone #. I was sitting next to his wife.

Edited by dslyank

Last night:

Legit CAA stadium.

Legit CAA crowd.

Legit CAA team.

Can we please have someone else running the ball late in the fourth quarter when the game is decided? Hanks had done enough by that point.

Sorry DP, but if Casey stadium is legit CAA, I think I rather go back to UA field and the Northeast. The policies are very non-fan friendly, ticket prices are outrageous, and you cannot buy a concession without missing a quarter of the game. My name is ON the plaque dedicating the new stadium, but I am getting more and more discouraged about the place. (see also other the rant above).

I do agree they should have pulled Hanks in the 4th. I yelled at coach about this and the lady next to me offered his phone #. I was sitting next to his wife.

I wouldn't judge by 1 game. A lot of changes yesterday. I almost considered it the grand "reopening". I'm sure they'll make improvements next week

Last night:

Legit CAA stadium.

Legit CAA crowd.

Legit CAA team.

Sorry DP, but if Casey stadium is legit CAA, I think I rather go back to UA field and the Northeast. The policies are very non-fan friendly, ticket prices are outrageous, and you cannot buy a concession without missing a quarter of the game. My name is ON the plaque dedicating the new stadium, but I am getting more and more discouraged about the place. (see also other the rant above).

I wouldn't judge by 1 game. A lot of changes yesterday. I almost considered it the grand "reopening". I'm sure they'll make improvements next week

No offense, but the stadium has now been open for four years. Yet the same issues remain and in fact in many instance are getting worse not better and @ a LARGER cost to fans. Except for the quality of play on the field (which of course is the most important thing) we are paying MORE for less. We are discouraging fan support instead of building it. [my opinion]

On this point . . . We are discouraging fan support instead of building it. [my opinion] . . . I've gotten some of this sense, too, not only in FB buy in MBB with pricing policies, fees for parking in the Dutch Lots, the info about the arrogance of trying to force fans to rent the chairbacks instead of bringing in their own they have already purchased (I've never heard of such a thing at any other stadium -- what, it's a safety and security issue?) . . . I still have questions about the AD's experience-base in the corporate non-collegiate-athletic world, and although certainly he did well for ODU . . .and this experience of my own last night:

Girlfriend and I were sitting in the M row of Section 103, that single row behind the railing (a great view of the game, by the way), and when we got there, no T-shirts were on the row at all . . OK, an oversight, understandable . . .being a law-abiding citizen, I went looking for an Event Staff Person to ask how we could get ours . . .I could find no one with any sort of of ID indicating he or she could be an ESP . . . so I went to the Promo Booth and was told to look for anyone in a yellow shirt with "Event Staff" on it . . . I walked the entire length from that booth to the other end's ticket book and saw ABSOLUTELY NO ONE wearing such a shirt, except those around the ticket gate who were busy . . . on a misguided whim, I asked a gray-shirted security guy, who gave me wrong information ("look for anyone wearing a badge," which I did, and it turned out to be a fan with his son -- I don't know what his badge said, but he looked as lost as I did) . . I went back to the Promo Booth and an obviously clueless person told me to "just take a couple from anywhere you want, that's where everyone else is doing." And that's what I did. Thanks for all the help, Marketing and Promo people. I walked away thinking, "Well, here's a case of no one knowing what they're doing."

But the on-the-field product . . . no complaints, and despite my experience with the Phantom Event Staffers, I will be at every game, regardless of record. (Well, of course, there's always room for improvement, things to attend to) I like the stat Dougherty used in his TU article . . . about HC needing 39 plays to make those 3 long drives, which turned out not to be serious threats after all . . . Sure, the 3rd-ranked FCS QB got his 350+ yards, most of them, it seemed, in throws into the flat which get yardage, keep possession, move the ball forward, and it was a case of the old cliche about the D "bending but not breaking. I was worried before game about watching Pujals hitting long bombs all night long for his yardage and us getting 3 TDs behind, etc., , and that turned out not to be the case . . . in fact, if that's the way he's compiled all his yardage, then it's not all that impressive . . . of course, I'd like to see less yardage from any opponent, but if it means giving up 500 yards and still winning by 17 points (it could have been more, too), then I'll take that, thanks to our D and . . . I am hoping . . . a potentially explosive offense that can respond the ways it did.

Glad (or sad) to see that I'm not the only one that is royally PO'd. It's like freaking amateur hour there at the stadium. I was actually told by a member of AD staff that we were notified of this policy via email. Uh.....noooooooo!! I've been a fan since 1970, I'm a multiple seat season ticket holder, I'm a member of GDAC, I've donated additional money to the athletic department. To be confronted by rent a cops and real cops and told I cannot bring our seats in was infuriating and I am still not over it. I expect a reversal of this policy and an apology to all offended or UA has seen my last donation nickel.

Oh, trust me...I heard from one of the staff at the GDAC tent that the emails were already flying and that was before halftime. Maybe the athletic department has enough money and doesn't need our support. We can accommodate them. If they hired me to design a plan to piss off and alienate as many fans as possible for the first home game, I don't think I could have done a better job.

• Like 1

Glad we won. Sussman was great and Hanks superb. As was the line Dolce had a monster game at DE. Lots of players dinged up and too bad about #27.

Two complaints, one major and one minor. Apparently some asst AD made a decision to deny the use of previously purchased stadium seats in attempting to force patrons to rent the ones there. From what I hear there was a firestorm of disgruntled folks, including me. I pitched a fit and they allowed us to bring them in but only for this game. WTF???? So they've been selling stadium seats to use at the stadium and now are preventing people from bringing them into the stadium? Who is in charge of this idiocy? And they want us to contribute and join GDAC and fork over money to be treated this way? Ruined my evening to be honest. Minor complaint: concession lines were awful. No grab and go for water and popcorn. GDAC hospitality was easy to get into but they did not sell anything but alcoholic beverages. No water, no soda, no juice....come on people, I know this is new, but you have to do better than that. If we can't bring our seats in and are limited to booze in the GDAC section what's the point of joining? I'll stop all athletic dept contributions and use the money to pay for overpriced parking and the stupid rent-a-seats.

Ok, rant is over, but the athletic department is going to get an earful this week, and from what I heard a lot more disgruntled people. Way to build a fan base UA!

THANKS for blogging these complaints. RIGHT ON 100%. I complained bitterly to Casey Crandall & others about the stadium seats. They said they knew nothing about the new rule and would look into it. I wonder how many people were happy about walking back to Dutch to put their seats away. I was parked in sefcu and it was only a short walk and I did not use my seat and my BACK is really barking this AM. I did not know or see that they relented; but I can assure you next week I am bringing mine in or they can arrest me! Stay tuned.

I also was very disappointed about the lack of food and non-alcoholic beverages in the purple hospitality area. I did not complain because I was already so incensed about the stadium seats, that I thought it might have been childish to complain about hospitality. But I am glad you brought it up. Speaking of hospitality and fan friendliness I also think it is awful that you cannot bring your own food/snacks in. Even Yankee stadium {the GOD of Concessionism} allows carry-in, and many stadiums have family picnic areas.

Anyhow, GREAT GAME -- even though it took me until UA's first touchdown to get out of my funk and to start enjoying the game. I also wonder how many casual fans we are discouraging by sending them on a 2.3 mile ride around UA to pay an exorbitant amount for parking.

I think they may have relented just for me but not sure. staff called somebody who called somebody and th y finally decided to stop fighting. Perhaps we do some social networking and get everyone with the seats to go in at once...lol. Not enough handcuffs!

Regarding the game...what the heck was that excessive celebration on Zee Roberson all about? He did the Cam Newton superman shirt thing and dusted himself off...and got a flag. What a joke. When did the NCAA become the NFL, aka No Fun League?

That's what the ref told Gattuso, that Zee popped his shirt. But I'm pretty sure he did it to the crowd, not to mock the opponents. Lame penalty.

It was some serious B$iena.

Last night:

Legit CAA stadium.

Legit CAA crowd.

Legit CAA team.

No offense, but the stadium has now been open for four years. Yet the same issues remain and in fact in many instance are getting worse not better and @ a LARGER cost to fans. Except for the quality of play on the field (which of course is the most important thing) we are paying MORE for less. We are discouraging fan support instead of building it. [my opinion]

I think he meant legit CAA stadium in terms of it's architecture and nice field/screen...not the stuff like concessions. That stuff still needs work, unless you come super early like I did and beat the rush. I remember last year waiting for 10-15 minutes just to order. They need to setup more concessions and especially mobile ones near the visitor side and maybe on each end of the main concourse. I'm referring to that mobile one that have under the bleechers inside SEFCU for BB games.

I didn't have to deal with the seat issue but I can definitely sympathize with those who did. I'd have been livid.

I was never a fan of the pay-for-Dutch parking...but it is what it is. Luckily I got upgraded to the SEFCU lot as part of the GDAC, so my donation was well worth it. Hoping the same happens for basketball.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1