UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Kaloyeros Charged

UAFAN

55 minutes ago, Eli said:

Is that the max for his crimes? Seems lenient (probably due to money). 

From last summer, thought the max was 20 years per count, $250K fine, depending on the amount of fraud and number of victims. Be happy he didn't just get probation.

From what I’ve read he did not directly benefit financially, They were saying 10-14 yrs is what the prosecutors wanted and his lawyers 4 months! Most of what I’ve seen indicates he and another guy steered bids to two favored contractors by previewing the RFPs and writing them in such a way as to tailor them to the strengths of the favored companies. I guess that’s what they call bid rigging. The favored companies contributed heavily to Prince Andrew’s campaign, but don’t worry...cough cough...he’s not...cough cough....wink nod....involved. 🙄.

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NYS Attorney General has dropped state charges, since the punishment would be no more than the federal charges and probably would be served concurrently. Said they wanted to save the state's resources. Much of the state's evidence was used in the federal trial.

Just wish they had waited until the  federal appeals were done

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Letter to the Editor in today's TU from Dr. Sorrell Chesin (which I post mostly because of the high regard I have for him):

Bring Kaloyeros back to lead SUNY Poly

In the world of academia, interim institutional presidents who leave their position in a year or two raise serious questions. SUNY Polytechnic Institute was expanding during Alain Kaloyeros’ leadership in the early 2000s. He founded the first nanotech institution in the United States, and it is what brought technology-manufacturing corporations to this country. Yes, he made a mistake with the bid rigging, but it had no relationship with how he managed the institution. He had no other choice but to resign. Why not bring him back as interim president or a special position, one that would capitalize on the accomplishments he made that resulted in tens of thousands of jobs, hundreds of businesses, and billions of taxes being paid to the state of New York? We would all benefit from his ingenuity.

SORRELL CHESIN Davidson, N.C. Associate vice president emeritus, University at Albany

While he is right, Kaloyeros was a genius and did some great things for the University and was a good leader for that part of the school, bringing him back would be a terrible idea. Not sure the headlines of convicted felon brought back would sit well with all of the other negative UA news in the press lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, statefan said:

Letter to the Editor in today's TU from Dr. Sorrell Chesin (which I post mostly because of the high regard I have for him):

In the world of academia, interim institutional presidents who leave their position in a year or two raise serious questions. SUNY Polytechnic Institute was expanding during Alain Kaloyeros’ leadership in the early 2000s. He founded the first nanotech institution in the United States, and it is what brought technology-manufacturing corporations to this country. Yes, he made a mistake with the bid rigging, but it had no relationship with how he managed the institution. He had no other choice but to resign. Why not bring him back as interim president or a special position, one that would capitalize on the accomplishments he made that resulted in tens of thousands of jobs, hundreds of businesses, and billions of taxes being paid to the state of New York? We would all benefit from his ingenuity.

SORRELL CHESIN Davidson, N.C. Associate vice president emeritus, University at Albany

Yes, he made a mistake with the bid rigging, but it had no relationship with how he managed the institution. 

This statement right here is literally ridiculous and offensive to me as someone who works with Federal and State bids on a daily basis.  He committed collusion, fraud, and a host of other absolute no-nos.  This should not be rewarded and goes to the person's character.  If people think that he isn't acting dishonest in other ways he runs his business, well...I've got a bridge to sell you.  

There are plenty of other people who can run that organization...EVERYONE is replaceable.  

• Like 2

Just now, Dane96 said:

Yes, he made a mistake with the bid rigging, but it had no relationship with how he managed the institution. 

This statement right here is literally ridiculous and offensive to me as someone who works with Federal and State bids on a daily basis.  He committed collusion, fraud, and a host of other absolute no-nos.  This should not be rewarded and goes to the person's character.  If people think that he isn't acting dishonest in other ways he runs his business, well...I've got a bridge to sell you.  

There are plenty of other people who can run that organization...EVERYONE is replaceable.  

And let me add, based on the regulations, I don't even think the school could bring him back because he would be banned for years (I forget if it is 7 or 10) from participating in any federal aid/grants.

51 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

When I first read this, my reaction was positive in that I thought it would help bring NANO back to UA. After reading 96 & go99, I realized how wrong I was. And after remembering that Kalo was responsible for suny poly and its westward expansion and the abandoning of UA, lock him up and throw away the key.

Thanks guys for enlightening me and straightening me out.

Edited by dslyank