UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Amazing that UConn coach just puts together teams that are virtually unbeatable. They can all make threes. They are up 50 and still just hoisting 3s. It's crazy.

I had a high opinion of the team until they chuck up 3's at the end of the game up by 60. Very low rent. Auriemma should stop that.

NCAAW needs to find another way to do the ladies tournament. It's not even fair for mid-major/small schools to face teams like UConn, Tennessee, Baylor, Notre Dame, etc. NCAAW has little to no parity. 2 teams have won 19 of the 35 titles. 4 other teams have won 2 each. So 6 teams have won 27 titles. That's insane.

Hell, I would do it like some other sports disciplines in that you have two tournaments so to speak...kind of how they have two qualifying sessions in another sport that I'm a huge fan of: MotoGP (pinnacle of motorcycle racing). In MotoGP, all riders have three 'practice' sessions on Friday. Depending on your fastest time in those sessions, you get grouped into Qualifying 1 (slowest riders) or Qualifying 2 (top 12 riders) on Saturday. Fastest 2 riders from Q1 then get put into Q2 and are given another chance to do even better. This determines the starting grid on Sundays.

Basically, the conference championships go unchanged. Automatic bids, one-bids, etc.

However, in the first round of the tournament, instead of #1 facing #16, you do a bracket with just #33-64. The four teams that advance from that bracket (one for each region) then go on and become the #8 in the 2nd bracket. #8 in that bracket is likely a far better team than #16 in the original bracket and should lead to a competitive game.

This could even be extended to the men's tournament although a low seed making a game of it in the NCAAM is more likely and happens every year.

There is just not enough parity. Why even go to the dance when you're pretty much guaranteed to lose by 50? Just win the conference, get that trophy, and stay home. At least with a sub bracket, you can win some games and actually feel like your playing for something other than not to get slapped around like a red headed step child on national television.

In the 35 year history (this is the 36th year) of the women's tournament:

Champions - 14 different teams

Champion Runner Up - 19 different teams

Semifinalists (Final Four) - 33 different teams

Championships Number Runner Up Number Semifinalists Number
Connecticut 11 Tennessee 5 Stanford 8
Tennessee 8 Louisiana Tech 4 Connecticut 6
Louisiana Tech 2 Notre Dame 4 Tennessee 5
USC 2 Auburn 3 LSU 5
Stanford 2 Georgia 2 Maryland 4
Baylor 2 Duke 2 Louisiana Tech 4
Old Dominion 1 Stanford 2 Georgia 3
Texas 1 Louisville 2 West. Kentucky 2
Texas Tech 1 Cheyney State 1 Texas 2
North Carolina 1 USC 1 Lg. Bch. State 2
Purdue 1 Virginia 1 Virginia 2
Notre Dame 1 West. Kentucky 1 SW MO State 2
Maryland 1 Ohio State 1 Notre Dame 2
Texas A&M 1 Old Dominion 1 Duke 2
Teams 14 Purdue 1 UNC 2
Total 35 Oklahoma 1 Oklahoma 2
Michigan State 1 Old Dominion 1
Rutgers 1 Cheyney State 1
Syracuse 1 NE Louisiana 1
Teams 19 Iowa 1
Total 35 Vanderbilt 1
Purdue 1
Alabama 1
Arkansas 1
NC State 1
Rutgers 1
Penn State 1
Minnesota 1
Baylor 1
California 1
South Carolina 1
Oregon State 1
Washington 1
Teams 33
Total 70

In the same 35 years of the men's tournament:

Champions - 19 different teams

Champion Runner Up - 23 different teams

Semifinalists (Final Four) - 41 different teams

Championships Number Runner Up Number Semifinalists Number
Duke 5 Duke 4 N. Carolina 6
N. Carolina 4 Kansas 3 Michigan St. 5
Connecticut 4 Michigan 3 Kentucky 4
Kentucky 3 Georgetown 2 Louisville 4
Villanova 2 Houston 2 Duke 3
Louisville 2 Syracuse 2 Kansas 3
Kansas 2 Kentucky 2 Arizona 2
Florida 2 Butler 2 Florida 2
NC State 1 Oklahoma 1 LSU 2
Georgetown 1 Seton Hall 1 Ohio St. 2
Indiana 1 Arkansas 1 Oklahoma 2
Michigan 1 Utah 1 Oklahoma St. 2
UNLV 1 Florida 1 Syracuse 2
Arkansas 1 Arizona 1 UCLA 2
UCLA 1 Indiana 1 UNLV 2
Michigan St. 1 Georgia Tech 1 Wisconsin 2
Maryland 1 Illinois 1 Arkansas 1
Syracuse 1 UCLA 1 Cincinnati 1
Arizona 1 Ohio St. 1 Connecticut 1
Teams 19 Memphis 1 George Mason 1
Total 35 Michigan St. 1 Georgetown 1
Wisconsin 1 Georgia 1
N. Carolina 1 Georgia Tech 1
Teams 23 Houston 1
Total 35 Illinois 1
Indiana 1
Marquette 1
Maryland 1
Massachusetts 1
Memphis St. 1
Minnesota 1
Mississippi St. 1
Providence 1
St. Johns (NY) 1
Stanford 1
Texas 1
VCU 1
Villanova 1
Virginia 1
W. Virginia 1
Wichita St. 1
Teams 41
Total 70

Edited by Eli

Amazing that UConn coach just puts together teams that are virtually unbeatable. They can all make threes. They are up 50 and still just hoisting 3s. It's crazy.

I had a high opinion of the team until they chuck up 3's at the end of the game up by 60. Very low rent. Auriemma should stop that.

I don't subscribe to this mentality, they are good because they have a killer instinct and run everyone off the floor. Nothing low rent about it... I'd want the same when we play Oneonta, crush them.

• Like 1

I don't subscribe to this mentality, they are good because they have a killer instinct and run everyone off the floor. Nothing low rent about it... I'd want the same when we play Oneonta, crush them.

Agreed. This is college basketball, D1 at that. No mercy, even if we're the losers. Hell, I think kids should be taught this in modified sports lol. Stop giving awards to the kids who don't win, moral or otherwise. There is a difference between sportsmanship (playing clean, shaking hands at the end, helping an injured player, etc.) and showing no mercy...but you shouldn't stop playing defense or stop playing just to not hurt feelings. Go at em and if you beat em by 100, so be it.

The only thing I agree with is coaching clearing their benches. If the bench continues to put up points, it is what it is. Losing team/player either needs to get better or find another hobby.

That being said, even though we lost by 60+, the NCAA needs to look at this. This is not good for the sport.

Edited by Eli

Agreed. This is college basketball, D1 at that. No mercy, even if we're the losers. Hell, I think kids should be taught this in modified sports lol. Stop giving awards to the kids who don't win, moral or otherwise. There is a difference between sportsmanship (playing clean, shaking hands at the end, helping an injured player, etc.) and showing no mercy...but you shouldn't stop playing defense or stop playing just to not hurt feelings. Go at em and if you beat em by 100, so be it.

The only thing I agree with is coaching clearing their benches. If the bench continues to put up points, it is what it is. Losing team/player either needs to get better or find another hobby.

That being said, even though we lost by 60+, the NCAA needs to look at this. This is not good for the sport.

Look at what? They aren't doing anything illegal. Good for them...

Look at what? They aren't doing anything illegal. Good for them...

See my previous post. Matching a SEVERELY overwhelmed #16 against THAT. Nothing to do with today's actual game, lack of mercy, running up the score, etc...just the concept of the bracket. It's terrible for the game...if their intent is to grow it.