UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

From UA website - 21 High Scool Commitmnts

UALBANY FOOTBALL RECEIVES COMMITMENTS FROM 21 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT-ATHLETES

Albany, N.Y. – University at Albany head football coach Bob Ford announced today that 21 student-athletes have committed to play for the Great Danes in the fall of 2004. The Great Danes, who shared their second consecutive Northeast Conference championship last season, begin their schedule against Atlantic 10 Conference opponent Hofstra on Thursday, Sept. 2.

"We certainly addressed many of our needs," said Ford, who has 201 career victories as a college head coach, and has led UAlbany to seven or more wins in seven of the last eight years. "We have a set of linebackers that run very well along with two excellent defensive tackles. The four incoming quarterbacks provide us with depth and talent at the position. The offensive linemen have the credentials to go with size and strength. Finally, Chris Lynch will help us as both a kicker and punter."

The 2004 class is comprised of 16 players from the state of New York, plus three from New Jersey, one from California and one from Florida. The breakdown by position includes four quarterbacks, six offensive linemen, one wide receiver, four linebackers, three defensive linemen, two defensive backs and one placekicker.

The Great Danes landed four quarterbacks for the future. Jason Boltus, at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, will be the tallest signal-caller in the program's history. He was named third-team All-Central New York by the Syracuse Post-Standard. California native Daniel Bocanegra (6-1, 190) attended the same high school as New England Patriots' quarterback Tom Brady. He passed for 1,668 yards and ran for 690 as a senior. Kyle Watson (6-2, 210) threw for more than 1,000 yards at Brick Township High School in New Jersey. All-Suffolk County standout Zach Kerzner (6-0, 205) accounted for 3,296 total yards during his scholastic career.

UAlbany also picked up a pair of second-team all-state offensive linemen in Ryan Anderson and Nik Schultz. Anderson (6-2, 285) was a member of the Class C all-state team, and was a consensus All-Area offensive tackle. Schultz, an All-Area offensive guard who checks in at 6-foot-2 and 275 pounds, earned Class A all-state recognition by the New York Sportswriters Association.

Cosmo DePinto, a New Jersey Group IV all-state selection, may be the next dominant defensive tackle in the UAlbany program. He totaled 60 tackles, five sacks and 22 hits for a loss as a senior, when he earned all-county honors. Chris Lynch, a first-team All-Suffolk County placekicker, scored 81 career points (10-19 FGs, 51-54 PATs).

2004 University at Albany Football Newcomers

Name, Pos., Ht., Wt., Hometown (High School)

Ryan Anderson, OL, 6-2, 285, Watervliet, N.Y. (Watervliet)

Daniel Bocanegra, QB, 6-1, 190, Daly City, Calif. (Junipero Serra)

Jason Boltus, QB, 6-4, 220, Baldwinsville, N.Y. (C.W. Baker)

Nick Casale, ILB, 6-2, 215, Waterford, N.Y. (LaSalle Institute)

Cosmo DePinto, DT, 6-0, 250, Bayonne, N.J. (Bayonne)

Michael Dungey, DE, 6-1, 280, Rochester, N.Y. (Irondequoit)

Tyler Endres, WR, 6-1, 175, Brockport, N.Y. (Hilton Central)

Gabe Gardner, ILB, 6-3, 210, Toms River, N.J. (Toms River East)

Zach Kerzner, QB, 6-0, 205, Sayville, N.Y. (Sayville)

Jon Leible, OL, 6-5, 275, Commack, N.Y. (Commack)

Chris Lynch, PK, 6-3, 185, Lindenhurst, N.Y. (Lindenhurst)

L.B. McCloskey, DB, 6-2, 190, Gloversville, N.Y. (Gloversville)

Jerry Nestleroad, OL, 6-2, 255, Mechanicville, N.Y. (Shenendehowa)

Raphael Nguti, OL, 6-6, 330, Rochester, N.Y. (Brighton)

Dave Nicomini, DB, 6-3, 205, Newton, N.J. (Kittatinny Regional)

Sam Pagano, OL, 6-3, 280, Schenectady, N.Y. (Colonie Central)

Tom Pandolf, DT, 6-0, 270, Holbrook, N.Y. (Sachem)

Mark Peretore, OLB, 6-1, 205, Apalachin, N.Y. (Vestal)

Nik Schultz, OL, 6-2, 275, Ballston Spa, N.Y. (Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake)

Aaron Scott, OLB, 6-2, 180, Tampa, Fla. (Robinson)

Kyle Watson, QB, 6-2, 210, Brick, N.J. (Brick Township)

4 QB's and a place kicker...NEVER SAW THAT COMMING :P ...its clear that there is gonna be a battle for the QB spot during summer practice. Surprise no RBs in this class...BUT WHO SAID WE WERE GOING AFTER A CALIFORNIA KID AT QB??? GOOD CALL. And a OLB from Florida, o man that heaven. Florida seems to breed linebackers.

If i had to make a pick, i say Bocanegra is the frontrunner for the position. Ford will likely red-shirt 2-3 of the QB's over the next 1-2 years.

Good recruiting.

They don't need running backs - Vidal and Fantell both return as well as Omar Johnson off his redshirt year. They were so deep at FB that they moved the would be starter to defense - Eddie Unverzagt.

Placekicking may have cost them the outright conference championship and a mid major national championship as UA missed the field goal against Monmouth and didn't take several other opportunities through the year.

Linemen are always important for their offense

I'm alot happier about the QBs. We would have terrorized the conference last year with a good passing game. I hope one of these guys pans out although they'll probably be red-shirted this year.

Any special insight on Bocanegra GreatDanes84? I'm just curious why you picked him out although they do produce alot of good QBs out west-alot of summer passing camps.

The QB from California is supposed to be unreal, although I had heard he was taller. St. Mary's was going to bring him in until they folded. Believe it or not he was getting looks from UCLA but was too small for that level. I am surprised mid major San Diego let him out of the state. I believe Uli Delgado's days are numbered as a starter. and i think either GreatDane 84 or someone else had the early line on him coming to Albany. I wish I knew how he was discovered.

We have trmendous rb's already, so 4 new QB's are needed and welcomed.. Our D is going to dominate and will be bigger then in years past. They are bringing in bigger D-lineman every year so they hold up against teams like Hofstra etc. BTW the D tackle from Bayonne is gonna start immediatly...he is a stud. Mike Simpson still can't believe he got him. Every school and their brother was looking at this kid. His height 6'0" is the only thing keeping him out of a D1A powerhouse program(I heard a rumor and I CAN'Tconfirm, but If I am not mistaken and I could be, he was asked to walk on at Rutgers,West Virginia, and Penn State). With him and Jenks and that monster # 94 they are gonna destroy offenses.

Another prototypical O-line is being built for 2005 and beyond, very big, physical, ansd with a meabn streak. Pete Rossomondo does an amazing job with this unit. The kid from Shen is a sleeper. he is an awsome player for the future. Time will tell.

I think Dane96 said it best, We are beginning to see full scholarship players arrive on campus. That is why instead of bringing in 30-40 new players a year they are only bringing in 21 quality players with the potential to be scholarship players in the next year or two. Bet the house that the QB from Cali and the DT from Bayonne are on full rides. Or counters/aid/ whatever

Also, I thought this was a non-scholarship program.  How could the cali qb and the dt get a full ride?

The Northeast Conference allows up to 30 (no more than 10 per year) football counters (players on any portion of athletic scholarship). Also, the 'ships must be need-based only.

For 2002 (last year I saw numbers) Albany had 9.5 scholarships, about $90,000, probably divided among 15 or more players. Also counting toward the limit were five players who were here on track or baseball scholarships.