UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs UNH - 1/11 @ 7PM

Refs cost us a minimum of 6-8 points with those no continuation calls. 14-30 from three from UNH. Why are our defenders EVER dropping down to help on drives leaving three point shooters wide open? Let them drive. Let a big man help. I don't care. Just STOP coming off the three point shooters. Teams know we do it and are taking advantage of it EVERY game.

• Like 2

Refs cost us a minimum of 6-8 points with those no continuation calls. 14-30 from three from UNH. Why are our defenders EVER dropping down to help on drives leaving three point shooters wide open? Let them drive. Let a big man help. I don't care. Just STOP coming off the three point shooters. Teams know we do it and are taking advantage of it EVERY game.

This.

The refs should be fined. I give the refs the business every game just cause but this game made me legit angry. Those refs should be fined and/or suspended.

We are going to be lucky to win 5 games in the conference with our inability to cover the 3. Teams game plan for it. It's that bad. Brown has no clue how to fix it either, evidently. He has nothing.

This season is over unless we fix that one fatal flaw. Rest of our game is more than fine. If we keep allowing 10+ 3s a game we will not win many games.

Edited by Eli

I broke my vow and watched the second half. As long as the team and coaching staff is unwilling or unable to address the atrocious perimeter defense, there is little point in watching. And as much as we like our players, there are just no reliable dead eye shooters. There's still time to get it turned around before the AE tourney but I'm liking the look of this less and less.

I think our perimeter defense issues are more about personnel and less about strategy. None of the starting guards are really that great defenders (right now?). We don't have a Lillis or Hastings or Johnson or Sanders. I think that's a longer-term coaching/instruction/recruiting issue..and less of a defensive strategy issue.

The strategy part that does seem at play is going under some screens and sliding to help defend guys who penetrate. But if we don't do that..then we leave it up to our bigs to leave their man and defend drives. And right now this team has just 3 healthy bigs..Stire, Rowley and Charles. Even playing the way we do..Stire picks-up 5.1 fouls per 40min..Rowley 3.9 fouls per 40min..and Charles 8.1 fouls per 40min. Those numbers would only go up..unfortunately. And we don't have the depth to deal with that.

The team doesn't have to be elite defensively to win. They just have to be consistent and make a few improvements. But that means we have to execute that much more on offensive..maintain our rebounding edge..and limit turnovers. Obviously easier said than done.

With all that..I think I wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell replace Grayson in the starting line-up..or at least eat into more of his minutes. Marqueese seems to be trending down..especially evidenced last night. And Campbell seems to be effective and get into a rhythm when he's on the court for more than a few minutes a game.

• Like 3

We don't have a Lillis or Hastings orJohnson or Sanders. I think that's a longer-term coaching/instruction/recruiting issue..and less of a defensive strategy issue.

How you going to do Carl Ross dirty like that? Without him they don't win that second championship.

I think our perimeter defense issues are more about personnel and less about strategy. None of the starting guards are really that great defenders (right now?). We don't have a Lillis or Hastings or Johnson or Sanders. I think that's a longer-term coaching/instruction/recruiting issue..and less of a defensive strategy issue.

The strategy part that does seem at play is going under some screens and sliding to help defend guys who penetrate. But if we don't do that..then we leave it up to our bigs to leave their man and defend drives. And right now this team has just 3 healthy bigs..Stire, Rowley and Charles. Even playing the way we do..Stire picks-up 5.1 fouls per 40min..Rowley 3.9 fouls per 40min..and Charles 8.1 fouls per 40min. Those numbers would only go up..unfortunately. And we don't have the depth to deal with that.

The team doesn't have to be elite defensively to win. They just have to be consistent and make a few improvements. But that means we have to execute that much more on offensive..maintain our rebounding edge..and limit turnovers. Obviously easier said than done.

With all that..I think I wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell replace Grayson in the starting line-up..or at least eat into more of his minutes. Marqueese seems to be trending down..especially evidenced last night. And Campbell seems to be effective and get into a rhythm when he's on the court for more than a few minutes a game.

Good post...UA is still very efficient on the offensive end (3rd in conference)...tightening up the perimeter D, staying home on shooters would pay dividends. Problem is the guards are getting repeatedly beat off the dribble which forces the bigs and wings to collapse opening up the shooters. It has to start with guard defense. I too thought Campbell was really active on the defensive end...I'd pull Grayson from starting lineup at this point and insert him at the 3.

• Like 1