UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Women's Basketball 2017-18

Wasn't impressed with her at all.  She didn't do well with in game adjustments.  The two final loses in the season at Maine and against UH were the most glaring.  All the best to her but she will need to raise her game a lot if she wants to be successful at BC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli said:

That's two coaches who've 'upgraded' since winning at UA...so hopefully we can bag another good young 'up n comer' to replace her if she does leave.

Neither one of the last two were true 'up-n-comers' though.  Coach Abe particularly.  Bernabei-McNamee had two head coaching gigs before UAlbany and significant D1 experience as an Assistant.  I think we're going to experience a lot of pain trying to attract someone that can maintain the program let alone elevate. The athletic department isn't attractive right now.  Title IX issues, federal lawsuit, budgetary issues, campus culture - the only reason to take this job is so that you can move on to your next one.  The problem is that you'd have a better chance as an Associate Head Coach somewhere else.

Edited by kikuria
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, kikuria said:

Neither one of the last two were true 'up-n-comers' though.  Coach Abe particularly.  Bernabei-McNamee had two head coaching gigs before UAlbany and significant D1 experience as an Assistant.  I think we're going to experience a lot of pain trying to attract someone that can maintain the program let alone elevate. The athletic department isn't attractive right now.  Title IX issues, federal lawsuit, budgetary issues, campus culture - the only reason to take this job is so that you can move on to your next one.  The problem is that you'd have a better chance as an Associate Head Coach somewhere else.

We are learning a lot the lack of loyalty in Division I Mid Majors... in particular at the mid level Mid - Major conferences ... players will jump and coaches will jump too ... Coach Mac is moving on up ... position likely has a life span of 3 - 5 years upon her success .... what is the history BC women's basketball?  However ... UAlbany represents a great place to display your skill level as a coach .... please do not sell out the other coaches ... many which have dedicated their lives to the University

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kikuria said:

What are you talking about.  Seriously.  Your posts are constantly "ax grinder" types.

1. Campus culture has zero to do with women's hoops but for about 10 schools that have big followings.  If you are referring to some other campus culture, that is also some horse nonsense.

2. No Title IX issues have any effect on the woman's basketball program...so no coach is going to be bothered by that subject.  In fact, our Women's HC is paid an astronomical amount of money that is rarely seen at this level.  She's paid that in DIRECT RELATIONSHIP TO MEETING TITLE IX.

3. Budgetary issues, again, have zero to play here with women's hoops unless, again, we are talking about P5 schools.  Anything but P5 budgets for women's hoops are merely a reflection of the rest of the DI programs generally.

4. Please explain what other FEDERAL LAWSUIT affects UA...specifically the athletic program.

Honestly, I don't get your posts...EVER.  They are completely half-cocked...and that's giving you a 1/4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

We are learning a lot the lack of loyalty in Division I Mid Majors... in particular at the mid level Mid - Major conferences ... players will jump and coaches will jump too ... Coach Mac is moving on up ... position likely has a life span of 3 - 5 years upon her success .... what is the history BC women's basketball?  However ... UAlbany represents a great place to display your skill level as a coach .... please do not sell out the other coaches ... many which have dedicated their lives to the University

Exactly. 

She's getting a MAJOR pay raise and coaching a school in the ACC.

That's a selling point for Benson...not a negative.

• Thanks 1

The athletic department is radioactive right now. That Federal Lawsuit is killing the moral inside the department and out.  How do I know? Because I took the time to talk to some of the people that are there. If you want to say my sources are flawed or inaccurate - I'd be willing to think that could be a possibility as I'm not personally there and you might have a line to different information.  I'd love to be wrong, in fact.  You're right about grinding an axe insomuch as I think bad decisions should never be excused, accepted, or tolerated until they are corrected.  The solution is simple - If Benson won't add a women's sport, get rid of Benson and then solve the Title IX problem by bringing someone in that will.  I have my preferred sport but am actually closer to agnostic. It's just that I'm more familiar with some sports than others.

Department culture is more important than campus culture but we shouldn't imply that campus culture it's unimportant. And the campus just isn't there yet. Thought it was close a few years ago and then it seemed to fall back. That's on Student Affairs not Athletics though. How do I know this? Because I have to go up there on business pretty regularly. I walk across campus and start talking to students.  My sample size is small each time but it's adding up.  

Edited by kikuria
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Exactly. 

She's getting a MAJOR pay raise and coaching a school in the ACC.

That's a selling point for Benson...not a negative.

Agreed. If Benson is smart he'll use this to sell the position..."look where you could be in 3-4 years if you want"...which will lead to UA getting progressively better and better coaches. It's the same way recruiting players works...10 years ago we had Jamar but we weren't recruiting the level of kids we are getting now. In 10 years, hopefully we'll be recruiting even better players.

Nothing wrong with stepping stones...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kikuria said:

The athletic department is radioactive right now. That Federal Lawsuit is killing the moral inside the department and out.  How do I know? Because I took the time to talk to some of the people that are there. If you want to say my sources are flawed or inaccurate - I'd be willing to think that could be a possibility as I'm not personally there and you might have a line to different information.  I'd love to be wrong, in fact.  You're right about grinding an axe insomuch as I think bad decisions should never be excused, accepted, or tolerated until they are corrected.  The solution is simple - If Benson won't add a women's sport, get rid of Benson and then solve the Title IX problem by bringing someone in that will.  I have my preferred sport but am actually closer to agnostic. It's just that I'm more familiar with some sports than others.

Department culture is more important than campus culture but we shouldn't imply that campus culture it's unimportant. And the campus just isn't there yet. Thought it was close a few years ago and then it seemed to fall back. That's on Student Affairs not Athletics though. How do I know this? Because I have to go up there on business pretty regularly. I walk across campus and start talking to students.  My sample size is small each time but it's adding up.  

Every entity has "morale" issues.  It's all a matter of perspective.  There is no "Disneyland" or "Camelot" in the real world.l

Everyone is entitled to free speech and their opinion...but you are just spewing garbage.  Unadulterated garbage.  This isn't a board where we kiss the ring of UA sports.  Heck, as a donor, I've done my fair share of complaining on this board about certain things, including my still "jury's out" on our AD.

However using the term "radioactive"?!  Please.

Further, attendance is on a downswing nationwide.  Article after article about the subject, and it's not limited to college sports.  So your self proclaimed "small" sample sized means nothing.  It's like the Princeton Review when they got sued because they asked 50 random kids (at one massive university) outside of the college library, "Do you think this is a party school".  They said yes...so they anointed the school a top party school. 

Ridiculous, as is your conclusion....though I support your right to that opinion.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1

Is kikuria Gordon Graham? I am not sure I have ever seen a post from this person that isn't about title IX, adding Crew, or taking the time to talk about how toxic and bad the athletic department culture is. It almost feels like a personal vendetta. 

We get it. You are pissed that they cut tennis. We get it, you think they should put a crew team on the Hudson. Your point has been received.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1