Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alexfamous

2017-18 Season

Recommended Posts

Imagine, someone's own family member calling for his ouster.  Now that's funny.

Where's everyone's sense of humor.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope next season will be better,  just like everyone else on this board. 

I'm wondering why Nichols' s year wasn't so good. Maybe he had other priorities this year. He's an excellent student. Did putting more effort into his studies lesson his output on the court? He lost his sister last year. Did this loss change his perspective on life? Who knows? Maybe he just needs more consistent support from others on the court.

I'm also thinking the Aussies learned some valuable lessons in their redshirt year. I've always admired the effort that most of them put out in past years, and I'm hoping next year will be no exception. They had to see the downturn in this year's season and wonder how they can contribute to a turnaround. They had to be so impressed how a lowly AE team in the form of an UMBC became the national darlings. I expect big things from them in 2018-19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 12:55 AM, scrabbleship said:

Looking at UMBC, I wonder when the bloom fell off of Will Brown's rose. At which point do we walk away since we've gone from being the class of the AE to having Vermont AND Stony Brook AND now UMBC lap us into total irrelevance?

Twelve years ago tonight, Will Brown could now have made history. Now he isn't even in the Top 5 coaches in his conference. All the good he has done has been nulled out by the fact that UVA decided to lose to an AE team now and not when we had a chance.

I would sell my kidney and my firstborn to be in UMBC's shoes right now. Am I the only one in this position?

Before I even read through this thread I can already tell it's going to be the most ridiculous one of the season. I admire the troll job.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ZLK said:

Before I even read through this thread I can already tell it's going to be the most ridiculous one of the season. I admire the troll job.

Don't bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, let's do this...

 

1) If a 16 was going to beat a 1 and it wasn't going to be Albany it won't get any better than it being a team from the America East, it's free pub for everyone in the league.

2) Both coaches and players get the blame for a disappointing season, there's no reason to try and determine who's at fault here...everyone gets the love when things go well, everyone gets the blame when they don't.

3) 22 wins and still finished as a top 1/2 to top 1/3 team in college basketball (depending on which site you go to) with everything that seemed to go wrong. I'm as disappointed with the season as any of you, but we're only disappointed because of what this program has become.

4) I'm not sure what anyone could have possibly seen this season to make them feel like Will Brown is complacent. If you want to blame him for protecting his players and program publicly a bit too much, fine...but you would've roasted him if everyone was getting cursed out after every game.

5) Now let's get to the facts...we have a program who has a bottom 1/2 to bottom 1/3 budget for the America East, let alone for any other league you think this program should be in. You have a great coach who made the program what it is in D1 and wants to be here for whatever reason despite the fact there's ridiculously limited resources involved for how successful they've been. Players come to the program because they want to win, which the current staff has proven they've been able to do in the past...it's not because of any shiny extras.

6) This is your reminder you root for a 20 win program that has a 10-12 win budget. You want disappointment? You'll get it if this current staff decides to move on and more resources aren't put into the program.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZLK said:

Alright, let's do this...

 

1) If a 16 was going to beat a 1 and it wasn't going to be Albany it won't get any better than it being a team from the America East, it's free pub for everyone in the league.

2) Both coaches and players get the blame for a disappointing season, there's no reason to try and determine who's at fault here...everyone gets the love when things go well, everyone gets the blame when they don't.

3) 22 wins and still finished as a top 1/2 to top 1/3 team in college basketball (depending on which site you go to) with everything that seemed to go wrong. I'm as disappointed with the season as any of you, but we're only disappointed because of what this program has become.

4) I'm not sure what anyone could have possibly seen this season to make them feel like Will Brown is complacent. If you want to blame him for protecting his players and program publicly a bit too much, fine...but you would've roasted him if everyone was getting cursed out after every game.

5) Now let's get to the facts...we have a program who has a bottom 1/2 to bottom 1/3 budget for the America East, let alone for any other league you think this program should be in. You have a great coach who made the program what it is in D1 and wants to be here for whatever reason despite the fact there's ridiculously limited resources involved for how successful they've been. Players come to the program because they want to win, which the current staff has proven they've been able to do in the past...it's not because of any shiny extras.

6) This is your reminder you root for a 20 win program that has a 10-12 win budget. You want disappointment? You'll get it if this current staff decides to move on and more resources aren't put into the program.

Albany has the second highest men's basketball budget in the ae... Carry on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Clickclack said:

Albany has the second highest men's basketball budget in the ae... Carry on. 

*had*...carry on. We do COA now? What would make a recruit want to attend Albany over other AE programs other than the fact that we win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winning certainly does it but at this level I think it’s going to the NCAA’s more than winning percentage.

I think style can be a driver too (see UA Lacrosse).  Kids generally are offensive minded.  Defense a necessary evil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, McFan said:

Winning certainly does it but at this level I think it’s going to the NCAA’s more than winning percentage.

I think style can be a driver too (see UA Lacrosse).  Kids generally are offensive minded.  Defense a necessary evil.

For sure. Show you're a competent program that has the ability to get a player to the dance during his time there. Albany's sales pitch is what they've been able to do on the court. To think there's anything special that differentiates the program without the staff and the players they've been able to bring in doesn't compute for me. You can sell the university and post grad connections (which are good), but it's not anything our rivals are unable to offer.

You don't increase the budget and you're playing with fire. You take this current staff out and don't increase the budget and you're burning to the ground everything that has been built over the past 15 years. Not saying it's fair or that the school even has the money to do it, that's just the reality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I can't believe this fire Brown talk...What has happened to this board? I say this as the guy who questioned OPENLY if he still had it in him after the first two trips and then subsequent struggles etc. But today to ask that question?

Let's be honest the thread is really only a few people talking about firing CB and everyone else saying they're crazy, that's all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, UA'08 said:

Chances the under reporting of the attendance numbers at b-ball games this year are going into that GDAC slush fund you speak of?

I designated my donation to sefcu renovations, but who knows if it really goes towards that.

It's nothing something I "speak of". GDAC donation dollars are all "unrestricted" meaning they can be used for anything athletics wants to use them for, ie: a slush fund. If you donate to Athletics and designate it to something, it doesn't count as a GDAC donation.

As for your question about attendance and GDAC, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking....

Edited by MRSGDG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

It's nothing something I "speak of". GDAC donation dollars are all "unrestricted" meaning they can be used for anything athletics wants to use them for, ie: a slush fund. If you donate to Athletics and designate it to something, it doesn't count as a GDAC donation.

As for your question about attendance and GDAC, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking....

All year people said attendance did not seem accurate to what was reported. If there’s more people in the building than the numbers show that’s a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

All year people said attendance did not seem accurate to what was reported. If there’s more people in the building than the numbers show that’s a problem.

" Chances the under reporting of the attendance numbers at b-ball games this year are going into that GDAC slush fund you speak of?"

What does that have to do with GDAC donations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Let's be honest the thread is really only a few people talking about firing CB and everyone else saying they're crazy, that's all.

It’s not even a few people lol. It’s the one person who created this whole thread.

Dane Pound, maybe just move this all into the 2017-2018 thread. Just too many people offended by the title.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

" Chances the under reporting of the attendance numbers at b-ball games this year are going into that GDAC slush fund you speak of?"

What does that have to do with GDAC donations?

Nothing. Wasn’t familiar with the term slush fund, but now it makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×