UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Albany Lacrosse Schedule

Pardon the unitiated but I just caught a clip of the women's lacrosse team on UA's FB page.

Q: Why do the women play with no gloves/helmets like the men? Not just UA but most teams it looks like.

More of a curiosity than anything.

Pardon the unitiated but I just caught a clip of the women's lacrosse team on UA's FB page.

Q: Why do the women play with no gloves/helmets like the men? Not just UA but most teams it looks like.

Rules are so different its hardly the same game. Very strict rules on contact, high sticks, something called shooting space (defender cant move in front of attacker in the shooting area) so only the goalie has a helmet. I also dont know why some face offs are side by side and some facing each other.
  • Like 1

Now what to we do with it?

Get to a final four finally. Itll always be hard to compete with the blue bloods of lacrosse for recruits no matter what. Its simply the academic factor. Why would an outstanding lacrosse player pass up an eduacation at Duke or Notre Dame to play at Albany?

Disagree - Albany is an outstanding university, academically. Some areas of study competing nationally. I simply do not understand how or why UA graduates talk the University down! The old guard are snobby liberal institutes - does NOT mean they are all better academic colleges - reputation isn't necessarily based on fact, Except maybe in the liberal arts.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

I'm going to say an even greater accomplishment than the men's bball team making the tournament. There is just so much more institutional bias in lacrosse with the old guards, and many felt that Lyle, Miles, and Ty were a flash in the pan period for Albany lacrosse.

I am just so proud of what the coaching staff present and past have done, and to all of the players who have paved the way. This isn't just about the current cast of characters.

I started following a guy on twitter, laxfilmroom, and saw a back and forth he was having with a few people about Albany. It was pretty interesting trying to understand the current success when pretty much everyone takes a dump on the school and the players the coaching staff brings in.

I saw one guy had gone back and in recent history Albany has never had a top twenty recruiting class!

Based on successes over the last 10 years even [for Albany- been very competitive], I am not sure recruiting the guys ranked highest coming out of HS is the best determining factor of success. Obviously it is part of it but.......... In fact there have been blog discussions about how Albany does it without those top guys. The NCAA has taken steps, and helped schools who created Division 1 programs. Denver went D I in 1999 as well and they alternated between club and varsity for years since the late 1960's prior to that. Misspoke - there are a couple of new D 1 programs St Bonaventure and Utah. I had read something last year that these start-ups were getting help from the NCAA. I can not find the source right now.

Edited by HOF2013

Will any UAlbany player(s) score at least 62 goals this season? Get on Twitter and vote in this important poll!!!

https://twitter.com/capdistrictlax/status/966465743905853440

May not - gonna hurt Fields with some many other guys scoring goals. He'll rule on assista though

Paul Carcaterra on Wyland today.

Thinks Fields is the best player in lax today, Ierlan the second-best FO (to Baptiste of Denver). No far-and-away favorite to win the Championship, Albany is one of five teams that could do it, Denver is probably the one team we don't want to meet until the final.

Saw that. Baptiste only beat Ierlan out last year by about .4 or .5 % last year. Ierland is way out in front this year so far

Edited by HOF2013

Get to a final four finally. Itll always be hard to compete with the blue bloods of lacrosse for recruits no matter what. Its simply the academic factor. Why would an outstanding lacrosse player pass up an eduacation at Duke or Notre Dame to play at Albany?

Disagree - Albany is an outstanding university, academically. Some areas of study competing nationally. I simply do not understand how or why UA graduates talk the University down! The old guard are snobby liberal institutes - does NOT mean they are all better academic colleges - reputation isn't necessarily based on fact, Except maybe in the liberal arts.

Albany is great, but if you think we compete with Notre Dame, Duke, UVA, Hopkins academically then more power to you.

If thats the case why isnt Marrs son at UA?

Albany is great, but if you think we compete with Notre Dame, Duke, UVA, Hopkins academically then more power to you.

Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this"

Academically, a student will learn and get from a university what they work at getting out of the school. The difference academically stems from the quality of student, making more advanced classes more demanded and thus offered, and reputation. Syracuse isn't better academically than UA, but because it is a nationally known name it's degrees might be worth more.

Yale might not teach you more things, but because it has a history of higher quality students, it's academic reputation is better.

What the ncaa did to help Denver is just short of a crime. Basically stole a coach and a recruiting class or two from Princeton {Princeton has never been the same since.} Helped Denver with travel and scheduling. I am not sure who else Hof is referring to in the ncaa's quest to expand lacrosse westward, but I am not surprised. I am pretty sure Albany never got any of this DI help growth. But I can tell you one eastern school who has and continues to get ncaa help. hopkins is "grandfathered" against the rule that requires schools to play D1 sports in ALL sports that they choose to offer. The rule was initiated so a school would NOT have a competitive advantage by spending all their resources on one sport, thus building a power house. When the rule was put in place (I forgot what year) schools with mixed levels of D1, D11,D111 were given x # of years to comply all teams to one level. When x years past hopkins led a fight (along with a number of hockey schools RPI & I believe Denver [who did ultimately raise all it teams.] to have the grandfather clause made permanent. What I believed happened it was agreed to extend the clause and review again in y years. Since most teams did eventually comply with the ALL D1 or nothing rule, the ncaa seems to have never reopened the "grandfather" issue, allowing a small # of teams {something like 5 or 6 teams total [mostly in hockey} to continue to compete in a single D1 sport. hopkins being the only lacrosse school still D1 only. Besides allowing them to spend ALL/most of their athletic resources on ONE sport, Title IX issues were also circumvented in allowing this grandfather clause to exist in perpetuity. I may have some of my facts wrong, but I assure you the basics of this rant are true.

ps. I am pretty sure academics had nothing to do with Marr's son going to hopkins.

Here's a good article addressing his choice to go to JHU.https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/05/15/kyle-marr-creating-his-own-legacy-for-johns-hopkins-mens-lacrosse

Here's a good article addressing his choice to go to JHU.https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/05/15/kyle-marr-creating-his-own-legacy-for-johns-hopkins-mens-lacrosse

Maybe I missed the part about going to the school because of the academics!

Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this"

Academically, a student will learn and get from a university what they work at getting out of the school. The difference academically stems from the quality of student, making more advanced classes more demanded and thus offered, and reputation. Syracuse isn't better academically than UA, but because it is a nationally known name it's degrees might be worth more.

Yale might not teach you more things, but because it has a history of higher quality students, it's academic reputation is better.

"Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this" Really - Got a couple undergraduate degrees and 149 Graduate hours at Albany - NEVER hear a professor say anything even resembling that type of comment!! Sorry. If that is true then they need to go and be replaced by someone else.

High quality students - mostly "Liberal" arts students - High quality is translated by some as Wealthy who can afford to pay - or a few 100 given scholarships each year because they score really high on the SAT's so they can keep their rep alive. The SAT's are a joke today compared to 40-50 years ago, just sayin' .

Edited by HOF2013

What the ncaa did to help Denver is just short of a crime. Basically stole a coach and a recruiting class or two from Princeton {Princeton has never been the same since.} Helped Denver with travel and scheduling. I am not sure who else Hof is referring to in the ncaa's quest to expand lacrosse westward, but I am not surprised. I am pretty sure Albany never got any of this DI help growth. But I can tell you one eastern school who has and continues to get ncaa help. hopkins is "grandfathered" against the rule that requires schools to play D1 sports in ALL sports that they choose to offer. The rule was initiated so a school would NOT have a competitive advantage by spending all their resources on one sport, thus building a power house. When the rule was put in place (I forgot what year) schools with mixed levels of D1, D11,D111 were given x # of years to comply all teams to one level. When x years past hopkins led a fight (along with a number of hockey schools RPI & I believe Denver [who did ultimately raise all it teams.] to have the grandfather clause made permanent. What I believed happened it was agreed to extend the clause and review again in y years. Since most teams did eventually comply with the ALL D1 or nothing rule, the ncaa seems to have never reopened the "grandfather" issue, allowing a small # of teams {something like 5 or 6 teams total [mostly in hockey} to continue to compete in a single D1 sport. hopkins being the only lacrosse school still D1 only. Besides allowing them to spend ALL/most of their athletic resources on ONE sport, Title IX issues were also circumvented in allowing this grandfather clause to exist in perpetuity. I may have some of my facts wrong, but I assure you the basics of this rant are true.

ps. I am pretty sure academics had nothing to do with Marr's son going to hopkins.

Yep - 100%. Several Western schools are also being given breaks by the NCAA. I'll go find the articles again and post them if I have time. Hey dslyank - we agree on some things - see - I knew it would happen!!!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

Rules are so different its hardly the same game. Very strict rules on contact, high sticks, something called shooting space (defender cant move in front of attacker in the shooting area) so only the goalie has a helmet. I also dont know why some face offs are side by side and some facing each other.

Apologies to anyone who is a fan, but curling is a more exciting sport than women's lax. You'll also notice that the goal scorer immediately tosses their stick to the ground so that the ref can make sure it's legal.