UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #9: 12/2/17 - 7:00pm - vs Columbia

Eli

"As much as there are complaints about the officiating, UA had a decided advantage at the line"

If all the fouls were called that should have been called, we would have won handily; double digits easily. The complaining is about the obvious bias officiating going on. I do not know if the officials were making calls against us because of Will's complaining. But in my opinion Will's "T" was absolutely justified. Bad officiating usually goes both ways and it is a shame how it effects a game; but this crew was blatantly making calls against UA entirely. We had a decided advantage at the line because columbia is either really BAD defensively or they just do not care how many guys they foul out. This decided advantage that you speak of was only about 10/11attempts, which is actually pretty normal for a team that plays inside out vs a team that is predominantly 3 oriented. One of UA's game goals is to make more free throws than their opponent attempts. The fact that we accomplished this yesterday was due to our play, not to "FAIR" officiating. The officials yesterday were plain BAD and mostly bad one way.

This. I generally don't get on refs (at least not seriously) if they call it close...its when they call it close only one end. I hate that $iena. Be consistent or don't call it at all, that's what I ask. I can deal with the rest. The bias was strong last night, but pretty much only for that one bald white ref. Dude was mental.

One guy courtside (actually, behind Roger) was really letting the ref have it...I thought he was going to get thrown out.

I'm sure this is the guy we hear on the broadcast all the time. He is very loud and hammers the refs.

I hate blaming officials... For the record, yes they missed some calls but I don't believe it was worthy of all the complaining here. This team can't stop a nose bleed... If they want to compete with uvm. They better start playing some defense. Over and over they got beat from all over the court, deep, drives to the basket, inside... This team right now is not good enough on D.

Blame officials all you want, how many times was someone not blocked out for an easy put back? Not good enough!

Clack, I agree with you 100% about UA's POOR D. It has been such pretty much all year. Brown has commented each post game, pre game and any other chance, that the D needs to IMPROVE! And we do not really need him to tell us; as you say {especially yesterday}, it is pretty obvious even to the casual fan, that the D has been NOT good. My point complaining about the officiating is that #1 it was very one sided; and #2 I was disagreeing with a claim that the officiating was not so bad as evident by the foul discrepancy {if anything the discrepancy should have been even larger--the officiating was indeed BAD.}

Lastly, while UA's defense was most definitely poor; so was columbia's and with a fair officiated game we probably could have scored 100 against them. I agree that bad officiating should not ever be an excuse for a team. A team needs to be able to overcome bad officiating [uA especially @ sefcu gets more than its fair share of having to do so.] My complaint {not excuse} about Saturdays game was how one sided the badness was; and I took exception to the claim that the officiating was not bad just because we ended with a numerical foul advantage.

Edited by dslyank

Columbia also had a very big and active front court. Those Columbia bigs played hard and rebounded very well; I am glad we do not play them again. Columbia is a good team. With their frontcourt, I might say that they are better than Yale (but Yale has a better backcourt than Columbia IMHO).

I'll take the W any way possible, but yet again we gave up 80+. Brown said it in the post game, it's about W's this year.

This is out of our control, but wish the teams we've beaten had better records. Memphis, Louisville, and Kent St are the only teams left with winning records in their OOC sched.

I hate blaming officials... For the record, yes they missed some calls but I don't believe it was worthy of all the complaining here. This team can't stop a nose bleed... If they want to compete with uvm. They better start playing some defense. Over and over they got beat from all over the court, deep, drives to the basket, inside... This team right now is not good enough on D.

Blame officials all you want, how many times was someone not blocked out for an easy put back? Not good enough!

Clack, I agree with you 100% about UA's POOR D. It has been such pretty much all year. Brown has commented each post game, pre game and any other chance that the D needs to IMPROVE! And we do not really need him to tell us; as you say {especially yesterday}, it is pretty obvious even to the casual fan that the D has been NOT good. My point complaining about the officiating is that #1 it was very one sided; #2 I was disagreeing with a claim that the officiating was not so bad as evident by the foul discrepancy {if anything the discrepancy should have been even larger--the officiating was indeed BAD.}

Lastly while UA defense was most definitely poor; so was columbia's and with a fair officiated game we probably could have scored 100 against them. I agree that bad officiating should not ever be an excuse for a team. A team needs to be able to overcome bad officiating [uA especially @ sefcu gets more than its fair share of having to do so.] My complaint {not excuse} about Saturdays game was how one sided the baldness was; and I took exception to the claim that the officiating was not bad just because we ended about with a numerical foul advantage.

My criticism of this defense, specifically the inability to defend inside the arc if well known. However, in the second half, there were several possessions where for the first time ALL YEAR, I saw something. During their run JUST as they started to mount the comeback, the defense really stepped up, the rotations were crips, switching was crisp, hand in the face etc. It was the first time I've seen all season really really good defense. So there's a chance it will click.

Defense has to start at the guard spot, my sense is that Nichols and Cremo are allowing easy penetration which draws in the bigs trying to recover. Specifically when opposing guards go baseline, however normally the big is in position to seal off the drive which has me wondering if this is the design of the defense; to draw opposing guards into driving baseline and cutting off penetration thus sealing the offensive player between guard/big/baseline. Unfortunately way to many times it leads to a kick and an wide open shot.

Edited by Clickclack

Clack, I agree with you 100% about UA's POOR D. It has been such pretty much all year. Brown has commented each post game, pre game and any other chance that the D needs to IMPROVE! And we do not really need him to tell us; as you say {especially yesterday}, it is pretty obvious even to the casual fan that the D has been NOT good. My point complaining about the officiating is that #1 it was very one sided; #2 I was disagreeing with a claim that the officiating was not so bad as evident by the foul discrepancy {if anything the discrepancy should have been even larger--the officiating was indeed BAD.}

Lastly while UA defense was most definitely poor; so was columbia's and with a fair officiated game we probably could have scored 100 against them. I agree that bad officiating should not ever be an excuse for a team. A team needs to be able to overcome bad officiating [uA especially @ sefcu gets more than its fair share of having to do so.] My complaint {not excuse} about Saturdays game was how one sided the baldness was; and I took exception to the claim that the officiating was not bad just because we ended about with a numerical foul advantage.

My criticism of this defense, specifically the inability to defend inside the arc if well known. However, in the second half, there were several possessions where for the first time ALL YEAR, I saw something. During their run JUST as they started to mount the comeback, the defense really stepped up, the rotations were crips, switching was crisp, hand in the face etc. It was the first time I've seen all season really really good defense. So there's a chance it will click.

Defense has to start at the guard spot, my sense is that Nichols and Cremo are allowing easy penetration which draws in the bigs trying to recover. Specifically when opposing guards go baseline, however normally the big is in position to seal off the drive which has me wondering if this is the design of the defense. Unfortunately way to many times it leads to a kick and an wide open shot.

I am not sure we have a go-to defensive guy when we really need tight coverage on an opposing player. Carl Ross (I think of the final play against UVM with Trimboli in the title game) and Gary Johnson come to mind, among others. Edited by UA_MA_2000

Defense has to start at the guard spot, my sense is that Nichols and Cremo are allowing easy penetration which draws in the bigs trying to recover. Specifically when opposing guards go baseline, however normally the big is in position to seal off the drive which has me wondering if this is the design of the defense. Unfortunately way to many times it leads to a kick and an wide open shot.

I am not sure we have a go-to defensive guy when we really need tight coverage on an opposing player. Carl Ross (I think of the final play against UVM with Trimboli in the title game) and Gary Johnson come to mind, among others.

Campbell is VERY good on D, I sat one game and just watched him and only him on D for like 5 or 6 minute stretch.

I'll go back to a comment I have made several times...

I think many of the starters are getting tired as Brown still doesn't trust the bench enough. Giving everyone more rest can make them more efficient. Look at the game Cremo scored 30: he played under 30 minutes.

I compare it to back in college when I worked in the mall. I was a commissioned sales person. In December, I was working 65-70 hours a week, and I was drained. We kept track of sales per hour and other stats, and I was significantly more efficient in October/november in sales per hour, and in some cases total sales, even though December is the holiday season with the most sales in the store. People working 30 hours a week were getting the same total sales I was in twice the time.

I am thinking that our defense will improve as the bench gets more involved in the system, earns more playing time, and as the season moves on.

I also watch Campbell sometimes and I agree his defense is usually solid. I think our defensive effort is a bit slower than it should be but the number that stands out is blocked shots. Just checked the up to date NCAA stats and they rank all 351 D1 teams. Guess where we are in blocked shots? Number 349!! We average 1.1 blocks per game. I understand the roster does not have a flyswatter out there, a tall guy with long arms, but we are either not trying to block a shot, or we are missing it and fouling the guy. Not sure they can teach Stire, Charles, Foster to block shots at this point, but we are ranked to far below a lot of other mid-majors that also don't have Kentucky, NC, Louisville type of length.

Clack, I agree with you 100% about UA's POOR D. It has been such pretty much all year. Brown has commented each post game, pre game and any other chance, that the D needs to IMPROVE! And we do not really need him to tell us; as you say {especially yesterday}, it is pretty obvious even to the casual fan, that the D has been NOT good. My point complaining about the officiating is that #1 it was very one sided; and #2 I was disagreeing with a claim that the officiating was not so bad as evident by the foul discrepancy {if anything the discrepancy should have been even larger--the officiating was indeed BAD.}

Lastly, while UA's defense was most definitely poor; so was columbia's and with a fair officiated game we probably could have scored 100 against them. I agree that bad officiating should not ever be an excuse for a team. A team needs to be able to overcome bad officiating [uA especially @ sefcu gets more than its fair share of having to do so.] My complaint {not excuse} about Saturdays game was how one sided the badness was; and I took exception to the claim that the officiating was not bad just because we ended with a numerical foul advantage.

For the record, I never said the officiating wasn’t bad, merely that it did not show up in the FTs. Can’t believe an innocent observation gets so many people worked up.