UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] AE Tourney Game #1: 3/3/18 - 7:00pm - vs Stony Brook

Eli

I've said this b4 but I'll say it again. Next year Cremo and Nichols will be seniors. If I'm Brown I market the crap out of them and give Joe every chance to be on a great team.

Take in two 5th year Seniors. Guys from Big schools looking to drop down. We SHOULD have better depth next year. The two drop down guys combined with Joe and David would be huge. You could take a chance on a JUCO big but if they are any good the bigs go to better schools.

I've said this b4 but I'll say it again. Next year Cremo and Nichols will be seniors. If I'm Brown I market the crap out of them and give Joe every chance to be on a great team.

Take in two 5th year Seniors. Guys from Big schools looking to drop down. We SHOULD have better depth next year. The two drop down guys combined with Joe and David would be huge. You could take a chance on a JUCO big but if they are any good the bigs go to better schools.

He did that this year and I believe they did not use Foster the right way. Guy should have started from day one.

It was a combination of Nichols and Campbell killing us. Nichols was inconsistent at best but Campbell was the real problem. I kept saying early in conference play that teams were sagging off Campbell. Anyone with a baseball IQ could see it and Brown finally admitted it last night.

But as Click said it's a depth thing. We did not have anyone to replace him. All kidding and emotion aside, unless his offensive game improves, he is a 15 minute a game guy next year .

With Nichols and Campbell, I think one things leads to another. If SB doesn't have to guard Campbell, it puts more pressure on everyone else and allows them to double Travis with impunity.

We've had good guards through the last six years (or more) but the SF spot has been the wild card in how our offense runs. If we have a SF who can defend and shoot, we've been great. If not, we've been good.

2012-13

PG - Black - shooter

SG - Iati - shooter

SF - Johnson - non-shooter

Finish 4th

2013-14

PG - Evans - Shooter

SG - Hooley - Shooter

SF - Johnson - non-shooter

Finish 4th

2014-15

PG - Singeltary - Shooter

SG - Hooley - Shooter

SF - Sanders - Shooter

Finish 1st

2015-16

PG - Singletary - Shooter

SG - Hooley - Shooter

SF - Sanders - Shooter

Finish 2nd

2016-17

PG - Nichols - Shooter

SG - Cremo - Shooter

SF - Campbell - Shooter. Benefit of the doubt. He was better at 33%

Finish 3rd

2017-18

PG - Nichols - Shooter

SG - Cremo - Shooter

SF - Campbell - Non shooter

Finish 4th

Edited by Dane Pound

He did that this year and I believe they did not use Foster the right way. Guy should have started from day one.

Your right. But Foster was not really in the rotation at his other schools. You see it all the time but I was thinking a couple of guys at a big school averaging like 8 points a game that drop down.

Your right. But Foster was not really in the rotation at his other schools. You see it all the time but I was thinking a couple of guys at a big school averaging like 8 points a game that drop down.
A guy from a major conference averaging 8pts a game is certainly not dropping to a low major. 8pt/game you would be looking at a lateral move not a drop down. Usually grad transfers are the other way around anyway. The big schools pluck them out of the mids (which I can see happening with David). He can probably play up somewhere closer to home. A change might be for the better for both sides.

Just for clarity, Ray Sanders was FAR from a shooter. He took maybe 3 three's a game...maybe made just over 30% of them.

Ray was, without question, a much better defender than Campbell...and a better dribbler.

I know he will be a freshman, but it looks like we have the answer at the 3 with deSousa. It's not D1 competition, but he looks like he can step in and start next year. Right now we have at least 4 guys who could be ROY next year, possibly 5 if Hank improved this year battling against Stire, Charles, and Foster everyday in practice.

I'm disappointed in the let down that was this season, but there is so much to be excited for next year.

A guy from a major conference averaging 8pts a game is certainly not dropping to a low major. 8pt/game you would be looking at a lateral move not a drop down. Usually grad transfers are the other way around anyway. The big schools pluck them out of the mids (which I can see happening with David). He can probably play up somewhere closer to home. A change might be for the better for both sides.
Just cross referenced verbal commits and espn to find Red Shirt Srs from 2017. In 5 minutes found 6 that when from high majors to mid majors averaging at least 6 points a game. I'm not saying it's easy but they are out there and with cremo and Nichols, both 1st team all conference, why would you not wanna come here for a year.

Even a proven mid major big is fine. They are most certainly out there. Just need to get them.

But your right. There may be only a few this year and most do lateral.

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 1

4 maybe 5 guys that can be rookie of the year??? LOL that is a bold statement. Going up against this years front court in practice equates to nothing in live game action. Just hope the Australians hit the weight room and grew an extra inch or two.

We are really only looking at Cremo, Campbell, and probably Conway as 100% locks to be back next year.

Just cross referenced verbal commits and espn to find Red Shirt Srs from 2017. In 5 minutes found 6 that when from high majors to mid majors averaging at least 6 points a game. I'm not saying it's easy but they are out there and with cremo and Nichols, both 1st team all conference, why would you not wanna come here for a year.

Even a proven mid major big is fine. They are most certainly out there. Just need to get them.

But your right. There may be only a few this year and most do lateral.

Mid major is vague though. America east is in between a mid or low and most will say low. All I know is The coaching staff has a lot of work to do this offseason and its not going to be easy.

SB is way more athletic tonight.

Exactly. Our guys gave it their best. The more athletic team won. Had the refs not been so bad and our shooting not sub-40%, we would have won notwithstanding SB's athleticism.
I thought that SB played an excellent perimeter defense tonight, which significantly contributed to our poor shooting we didnt get many quality/open looks. Even the threes we made they had a hand in our face.
Playing perimeter defense is easy when you don't have to cover one of them. I think Brown and staff made two big mistakes this year. 1) redshirting all the Aussies 2) playing Campbell so much when he showed he was a huge offensive liability and made opposing defenses better and allowed them to double Charles more and close off lanes by playing off Campbell. Our defense was bad enough, how much worse could it get without Campbell. At one point he was 0-6 from the field and 1-4 from the line. That hurts......a lot.
Wing was another position with zero depth... Zero...

I agree with this. I also think it is a talent/recruiting issue. We haven't filled in the roster around Cremo and we were figured out this year in conference.

We had a first team kid that didn't make a single team this year... How does that happen? He was supposed to he and was last year that 1a/b kid...coaching staff expected that kid to play... Instead what they/we got was not that kid. This was supposed to be cremo/nichols team... It ended up Cremo and Charles... And everyone else walking on egg shells. I suspect the same mistake won't be made again... I think another experienced guard will be brought in plus 2 bigs.

You have two highly touted freshman guards and the future of the program in Healey and rizzuto... No way rizzuto gets redshirt as they will need them both the following year so I expect both to play. I bring in one 2 year juco at guard IF someone else leaves like Clark. Otherwise I roll with these guards. Need size... And one more wing. Edited by Clickclack

Exactly. Our guys gave it their best. The more athletic team won. Had the refs not been so bad and our shooting not sub-40%, we would have won notwithstanding SB's athleticism.
I thought that SB played an excellent perimeter defense tonight, which significantly contributed to our poor shooting we didnt get many quality/open looks. Even the threes we made they had a hand in our face.
Playing perimeter defense is easy when you don't have to cover one of them. I think Brown and staff made two big mistakes this year. 1) redshirting all the Aussies 2) playing Campbell so much when he showed he was a huge offensive liability and made opposing defenses better and allowed them to double Charles more and close off lanes by playing off Campbell. Our defense was bad enough, how much worse could it get without Campbell. At one point he was 0-6 from the field and 1-4 from the line. That hurts......a lot.

I agree with this. I also think it is a talent/recruiting issue. We haven't filled in the roster around Cremo and we were figured out this year in conference.
We had a first team kid that didn't make a single team this year... How does that happen? He was supposed to he and was last year that 1a/b kid...coaching staff expected that kid to play... Instead what they/we got was not that kid. This was supposed to be cremo/nichols team... It ended up Cremo and Charles... And everyone else walking on egg shells. I suspect the same mistake won't be made again... I think another experienced guard will be brought in plus 2 bigs.

Honestly at some point the coaching staff will have to take some blame for this season and not have it all of it fall on Nichols.

Honestly at some point the coaching staff will have to take some blame for this season and not have it all of it fall on Nichols.

Agreed... They redshirted Healey and had no one to fall back on. That's on them... Clearly they missplaced expectations and had no fall back option. I suspect the same mistake won't be made again.