UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New commits to U Albany Lacrosse

• 3 weeks later...

A little post about some of thew recruits:

BTW  TD's brother is a goalie at Victor I think - incredible comments about his ability on-line.

BTW - the 2018 video has Zane Gray [Oregon] playing short stick in a couple of games at the end of his senior year vids.  He has a score of 80 on inside Lacrosse rankings

Ryan Smith, West Genesse is a tall M -6' 2" but thin

Samuel Swingruber is also a tall M 6' 1" and very thin. He is number 18 on inside lacrosse with a score of 85

Teioshontathe McComber, is number 62 on the Inside Lacrosse list with an 84 ranking of Attackmen

Tanner Hay was number 88 on the inside Lacrosse list but I do not find a score from them

1 hour ago, HOF2013 said:

A little post about some of thew recruits:

BTW  TD's brother is a goalie at Victor I think - incredible comments about his ability on-line.

BTW - the 2018 video has Zane Gray [Oregon] playing short stick in a couple of games at the end of his senior year vids.  He has a score of 80 on inside Lacrosse rankings

Ryan Smith, West Genesse is a tall M -6' 2" but thin

Samuel Swingruber is also a tall M 6' 1" and very thin. He is number 18 on inside lacrosse with a score of 85

Teioshontathe McComber, is number 62 on the Inside Lacrosse list with an 84 ranking of Attackmen

Tanner Hay was number 88 on the inside Lacrosse list but I do not find a score from them

Tanner Hay was selected as an Under Armour All American.

3 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Tanner Hay was selected as an Under Armour All American.

I saw that too.  GOOD!

I am personally hoping that our final 4 appearance will cause some other top 25 guys to decide to come to Albany.  Bigger, stronger, faster.  Need some more of those top guys.

Edited by HOF2013

I agree that Albany should spread its wings as well as  continue to mine New York and Native talent.  I am still surprised we haven’t seen more of a Hill Albany connection.

The ratings are one data point but just look at the 2017 class with guys like JD, Kyle, Stone, the twins. I think Coach Marr has done a great job of finding and developing glue guys to integrate with the star players.

That being said I don’t know if the coaches will alter their MO or not, the 2018 class has some new areas and schools, our first UA AA on defense and all three poles are bigger than usual.

i love the program, the coaches, but not sure the band of pirates/misfits characterization of the program helps in some recruiting circles. It is what makes the culture so unique, but at the same time we have many exceptional student athletes.

Our high school coach pushed us away from Albany initially because our boy had Ivy grades and test scores, but he stuck with Albany and is grateful he did.

We have had a good run of landing several all world offensive players and now we need to see that to a degree across the field.

It will be interesting to see how the program moves forward.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I agree that Albany should spread its wings as well as  continue to mine New York and Native talent.  I am still surprised we haven’t seen more of a Hill Albany connection.

The ratings are one data point but just look at the 2017 class with guys like JD, Kyle, Stone, the twins. I think Coach Marr has done a great job of finding and developing glue guys to integrate with the star players.

That being said I don’t know if the coaches will alter their MO or not, the 2018 class has some new areas and schools, our first UA AA on defense and all three poles are bigger than usual.

i love the program, the coaches, but not sure the band of pirates/misfits characterization of the program helps in some recruiting circles. It is what makes the culture so unique, but at the same time we have many exceptional student athletes.

Our high school coach pushed us away from Albany initially because our boy had Ivy grades and test scores, but he stuck with Albany and is grateful he did.

We have had a good run of landing several all world offensive players and now we need to see that to a degree across the field.

It will be interesting to see how the program moves forward.

Can't disagree with any of this.  They can sniff out talent for sure.  And the guys we have had and have are great but the size, speed and strength are what is hurting us now I think.  The smaller guys just get overmatched with big strong kids.  That was at least a part of what happened against Yale.  AND the footspeed.  We have guys we just get run by,  out front and from behind.  That is a problem.  Part of it might be the two way starters.  But when you see our small guys get beat because of foot speed it hurts.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Thanks 1

Can never have enough big, fast guys especially in the middle of the field.

We were told the shot clock is coming next year. A couple of the 2017’s who can get up and down the field will be great in the shot clock world. Again not big guys who can body up ACC guys on a regular basis.

We’ll need two good LSM’s to stop and start transition.

• Like 1

I see comments about TD’s brother. Isn’t he going to Cornell? When you look at the list of Under Armour kids and where they are going to school it all adds up. The plain fact is that the top talent regularly accumulate at a very select group of schools, of which Albany is not (yet) one. While we may have 2 or 3, and normally on attack, the big boys stock up a few each year and have 10 or 12 on the roster at all positions. That’s tough to compete with come tourney time. Bigger, faster, stronger is the key to making it to the next level on a consistent basis. 

Yeah TD’s brother is going to Cornell.

If you have had a kid go through the recruiting process or coach you know those UA lists while good are not the end all be all. Inside Lacrosse and Ty Xander’s do the bulk of that and while they watch a lot of high lacrosse there do not have the resources available to really do it justice. That’s how you can get a Casey Vock calling Scott Marr about a kid no one knows about by the name of Jacob Patterson.

But I am with you guys, it is hard to be a consistent final four program without a certain type of kid, but their are programs littered with them who can’t get out of their own way. It takes a lot of that and the right sort of kids. I think one of the things which will hurt the Albany’s of the world a bit is the end of early recruiting.

I hope there are more kids seeking out Albany now, but I don’t know, and that our coaches reflect on not only the loss to Yale both times, but also the how and why. It is hard to play elite, two way lacrosse without a bunch of thoroughbreds. Even UVA struggles with that and on paper they have more of those sorts of guys.

My main reference of who we have coming in is based upon last summer and seeing some high school lacrosse this year. Physically we competed very well against Denver, Michigan and Ohio State who all have more of the guys you are talking about, but no question TD made our overall defense or defensive scheme look better than it was.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

53 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Yeah TD’s brother is going to Cornell.

If you have had a kid go through the recruiting process or coache you know those UA lists while good are not the end all be all. Inside Lacrosse and a Ty Xander’s do the bulk of that and while they watch a lot of high lacrosse there do not have the resources available to really do it justice. That’s how you can get a Casey Vock calling Scott Marr about a kid no one knows about by the name of Jacob Patterson.

But I am with you guys, it is hard to be a consistent final four program without a certain type of kid, but their are programs littered with them who can’t get out of their own way. It takes a lot of that and the right sort of kids. I think one of the things which with hurt the Albany’s of the world a bit is the end of early recruiting.

I hope there are more kids seeking out Albany now, but I don’t know, and that our coaches reflect on not only the loss to Yale both times, but also the how and why. It is hard to play elite, two way lacrosse without a bunch of thoroughbreds. Even UVA struggles with that and on paper they have more of those sorts of guys.

My main reference of who we have coming in is based upon last summer and seeing some high school lacrosse this year. Physically we competed very well against Denver, Michigan and Ohio State who all have more of the guys you are talking about, but no question TD made our overall defense or defensive scheme look better than it was.

Sounds about right.   Of course there is more to being successful than just getting the kids who are big, fast and strong.    But we need a few more of those types to mix with the others we are getting.

• Thanks 1

Our grads seem extremely pleased with their experience at Albany and the team dynamic, coaching staff, etc, but how do you think we'll continue to recruit top talent as major schools decide to develop their programs? We're already at a deficit in that a UA degree is not as impressive as a Hopkins or UVA or even Bucknell degree, and it seems like more and more high caliber schools are now aiming to build competitive lacrosse teams. So, even if we're becoming (or have become) the Gonzaga of lacrosse, how can we stay there and continue to sell ourselves to top recruits? 

Edited by Jammaster

Great question. 

I know when our guy made his decision with us advising we came away very impressed once you really get under the academic hood.

Part of it is the alumni connections and some of it the marketing and PR of the program and selling our successes on and off the field. That’s why I think it is important to maintain our amazing culture and perhaps tightening up our image which IMO isn’t the real thing anyway. It has become a funny ha ha, when In fact we have a ton of serious kids.

Our physical facilities are way behind and I haven’t a clue how that can be addresssd at a SUNY school.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Great question. 

I know when our guy made his decision with us advising we came away very impressed once you really get under the academic hood.

Part of it is the alumni connections and some of it the marketing and PR of the program and selling our successes on and off the field. That’s why I think it is important to maintain our amazing culture and perhaps tightening up our image which IMO isn’t the real thing anyway. It has become a funny ha ha, when In fact we have a ton of serious kids.

Our physical facilities are way behind and I haven’t a clue how that can be addresssd at a SUNY school.

Thanks--this is a really helpful insight. So you found the culture we have distinct enough to persuade one away from other top programs? What makes it unique? And is that mostly coming from Coach Marr, or is there something else the university is doing that others aren't?

Edited by Jammaster

20 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Can never have enough big, fast guys especially in the middle of the field.

We were told the shot clock is coming next year. A couple of the 2017’s who can get up and down the field will be great in the shot clock world. Again not big guys who can body up ACC guys on a regular basis.

We’ll need two good LSM’s to stop and start transition.

2018,  What do you think about Kyle Casey's chances of being a significant contributor @ midfield in 2019? He certainly has the speed and height (might need to add some bulk?)? Do not know if he can be considered a two way or not?

Also, I am guessing your son is a defensive player and of course you can IGNORE this question if you choose, but was wondering if he may be a contributor next year?