UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New commits to U Albany Lacrosse

5 hours ago, Jammaster said:

Thanks--this is a really helpful insight. So you found the culture we have distinct enough to persuade one away from other top programs? What makes it unique? And is that mostly coming from Coach Marr, or is there something else the university is doing that others aren't?

We knew enough guys at other schools some perceived better than UA, some not and most were miserable. Coach Marr absolutely sets the tone, but he really delegates to the other coaches.

Academically, we found UA to really be under appreciated, especially if you are interested in some sort of business or finance related major. Finally, it is a great value especially if you are in state.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Great question. 

I know when our guy made his decision with us advising we came away very impressed once you really get under the academic hood.

Part of it is the alumni connections and some of it the marketing and PR of the program and selling our successes on and off the field. That’s why I think it is important to maintain our amazing culture and perhaps tightening up our image which IMO isn’t the real thing anyway. It has become a funny ha ha, when In fact we have a ton of serious kids.

Our physical facilities are way behind and I haven’t a clue how that can be addresssd at a SUNY school.

Facilities way behind.  Where have you been?  Building new buildings and adding programs all the time.  Just broke ground on the largest research facility - over 200,000 sq ft. [yep that's right]  I get tired of hearing about all the "Elite" schools.  Being around for years does NOT make them better.  Having a reputation does not make them better either.  Maybe years ago but not anymore.  We have tons of research facilities, Nano-tech, Bio-Chem research, etc etc etc.  Top 2 Criminal Justice program, adding National Security and other related up to date programs.  Sorry but that old 'State School' crap doesn't hold water any more.  Big ten schools are state school, ACC has state school.  I just get fed up with it.

Some of you guy are constantly talking against the school.  Don't give me that I call it as I see crap either.  Maybe you need to look at all of the new "Facilities' of the last 10-15 years and the continuing additions!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

2018,  What do you think about Kyle Casey's chances of being a significant contributor @ midfield in 2019? He certainly has the speed and height (might need to add some bulk?)? Do not know if he can be considered a two way or not?

Also, I am guessing your son is a defensive player and of course you can IGNORE this question if you choose, but was wondering if he may be a contributor next year?

I honestly don’t know. Since Kyle is from Yorktown I never saw him play in high school. When he did see the field this hear if I recall he took Tehok’s position as a righty. He certainly seems athletic enough, but making the switch from attack to middie is a big shift in mindset.

He is a middie.

3 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Facilities way behind.  Where have you been?  Building new buildings and adding programs all the time.  Just broke ground on the largest research facility - over 200,000 sq ft. [yep that's right]  I get tired of hearing about all the "Elite" schools.  Being around for years does NOT make them better.  Having a reputation does not make them better either.  Maybe years ago but not anymore.  We have tons of research facilities, Nano-tech, Bio-Chem research, etc etc etc.  Top 2 Criminal Justice program, adding National Security and other related up to date programs.  Sorry but that old 'State School' crap doesn't hold water any more.  Big ten schools are state school, ACC has state school.  I just get fed up with it.

Some of you guy are constantly talking against the school.  Don't give me that I call it as I see crap either.  Maybe you need to look at all of the new "Facilities' of the last 10-15 years and the continuing additions!!!!

I was referring to athletic facilities and we are way behind when it comes to lacrosse specific stuff. Playing in the football stadium is a big plus for sure.

I have actually been very complimentary of the academics.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

3 hours ago, UA'08 said:

It’s why the loss hurts a lot. This year was probably one of the best chances at winning the whole thing.

Once again - you are constantly negative !!!!  WOW!   And I don't want to hear I call it like I see it!!

10 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I was referring to athletic facilities and we are way behind when it comes to lacrosse specific stuff.

Point taken.   HUGE improvements over the last 10 years there too.  They have been upgrading. BUT I AGREE we need more and better - a Field House is needed.  But I have noticed folks on here bitch about the costs of tickets and parking, which help with all of that and more.  By the way, the prices do NOT compare at all to other D I schools.  If anything they are low.  The Ivy league schools have a charge to watch sports online - we do not.  They tap EVERY income avenue, we don't.  That old State School mentality takes over and people complain about pricing. Sorry if this upsets some on here, but fact is fact.  I certainly hope that EVERYone who comes on here makes constant donations to athletics.  if you compare to Stoney Brook and Buffalo we are WAY behind in donations to athletics!  Maybe Alums getting on board and walking the walk will help.  We need more donations like the Caseys too.  More local corporate donations.  Benson is really working hard on those things from what I hear and the evidence of that is obvious for all to see.  The new scoreboard in the basketball arena is an example

Edited by HOF2013

I saw where we stand on contributions in comparison to other SUNY schools and it was pretty pathetic. I want to say we were dead last and it wasn’t even close.

I would hope there is some sort of capital campaign in the works. You are right on the streams, ticket prices, parking and what not.

If an AD isn’t hiring coaches it is all about raising money.

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I saw where we stand on contributions in comparison to other SUNY schools and it was pretty pathetic. I want to say we were dead last and it wasn’t even close.

I would hope there is some sort of capital campaign in the works. You are right on the streams, ticket prices, parking and what not.

If an AD isn’t hiring coaches it is all about raising money.

Yep!

2 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I honestly don’t know. Since Kyle is from Yorktown I never saw him play in high school. When he did see the field this hear if I recall he took Tehok’s position as a righty. He certainly seems athletic enough, but making the switch from attack to middie is a big shift in mindset.

He is a middie.

I think you are right; the little Casey did play he was on attack. But he is listed on the roster as a middie and I am pretty sure that was where he played @ Yorktown. Interesting to see where they use him in fall ball.

Edited by dslyank

The Ivy league schools have a charge to watch sports online - we do not

Admission to the Yale game @ Yale was only $10; but I got sick at the last minute and stayed home. Friends who did go said the turf was one of the worse they had ever seen for lax. I did go go the to the away game a Umass , admission only $7 but again crummy facilities. Hofstra other than capacity is much worse than Casey; and same with Delaware where we played Maryland last year. Cornell stadium is falling down and the stands are a death trap (law suit waiting to happen). Just to mention a few facilities that I've been too.

And with the new espn+ deal, we now pay the same as the ivy's (both under contract now for $4 per month.)

5 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Once again - you are constantly negative !!!!  WOW!   And I don't want to hear I call it like I see it!!

It’s not about being negative. All the typical blue bloods of lacrosse had so so years which was extremely rare. Give me a better situation for Albany to win a national championship? If they got by Yale we would have won it all. This years team was easily the greatest season in history for any Albany team sport.

54 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

It’s not about being negative. All the typical blue bloods of lacrosse had so so years which was extremely rare. Give me a better situation for Albany to win a national championship? If they got by Yale we would have won it all. This years team was easily the greatest season in history for any Albany team sport.

All the typical blue bloods had so so years?!   What schools are you referring to...because this may be one of the silliest comments I have seen in this thread.  And before you answer...please do some research.  

Edited by Dane96

19 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

All the typical blue bloods had so so years?!   What schools are you referring to...because this may be one of the silliest comments I have seen in this thread.  And before you answer...please do some research.  

Maryland lost a ton from last year and didn’t weren’t as good this year, but still a number one seed. Cuse had a down year, Hopkins barely escaped Georgetown. Duke was solid all year, but had some bad losses and close wins.

Again the path to the final four and onto the national championship was easiest we will see in a long time. I for sure did not expect to see a 2 seed at the end of the year.