UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018/2019 Schedule

I applaud the Athletic Department making the stand. This is just awesome that we finally put our big boy pants on and walked away. LCC won't find a team that will draw as well as we do every other year if it was a home and home. I heard from someone in the athletic department that we did propose 2 games every year, but apparently that was turned down. 

I will miss the atmosphere of the game, but without the game at SEFCU every other year (including this season) it is not at all worth it. Good riddance. 

5 minutes ago, alumni '92' said:

without knowing any of the details of the negotiations, a big pat on the back to Mark for his willingness to pass on this game/contract until an equitable offer is on the table ... during our early years of DI athletics this game mattered a whole lot more to UA than lcc, the table has turned ... "50-50 or walk" - the UA fan base and now administration have spoken 

This. Sending him a thank you email RIGHT NOW.

Full OOC schedule has been released:

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=211767696

UAlbany Men’s Basketball 2018-19 Non-Conference Schedule

Date               Opponent                              Location                   

11/6                Oneonta                                Albany, N.Y.

11/9                at Iona                                    New Rochelle, N.Y.

11/14              Boston University              Albany, N.Y.

11/17              at Canisius                            Buffalo, N.Y.

11/20              Holy Cross                           Albany, N.Y.

11/23              at UW-Milwaukee^              Milwaukee, Wis.

11/29              vs. LIU Brooklyn^                 Belfast, Ireland

11/30              vs. Dartmouth/Marist^         Belfast, Ireland

12/8                Monmouth                            Albany, N.Y.

12/11              at Yale                                   New Haven, Conn.

12/15              Dartmouth                            Albany, N.Y.

12/18              at Providence                       Providence, R.I.

12/20              Manhattan                            Albany, N.Y.

12/28              at Kent State                         Kent, Ohio

12/31              at Niagara                             Niagara University, N.Y.

^ - Belfast Classic games

5 home, 7 away, 2 neutral (in Ireland) (I don't count Oneonta - I get why we play it, but it shouldn't count as a home game)

Biggest complaint is Oneonta being the season opener. It is nice to start the year with a big crowd. I skip the Oneonta game each year, opting to give those tickets away to friends (I'm trying to do my part to sell more season tickets and I like to let people watch the game from my seats). I would be surprised if there are 2000 people at that game. 

As far as the no P5 games, and what looks like a weak SOS - Providence will be a good test, and frankly with the team being so new and young and inexperienced, an easier schedule is a good thing.  

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

https://dailygazette.com/article/2018/08/09/siena-ualbany-men-s-basketball-programs-won-t-play-albany-cup-in-2018

“While we fully understand the importance of the Albany Cup to the community, we also believe that in fairness to our student-athletes, campus, alumni and fans that this series, like virtually every other college basketball rivalry series, should be played on each team’s home court,” UAlbany athletic director Mark Benson said in a press release. “We will continue to have a dialogue with Siena in hopes of reaching a more equitable agreement.”

Benson FTW! Kicked Siena to the curb AND has managed to raise a ton of money for our programs since arriving. His only blemish, IMO, is extending Gattuso without knowing if we are going to be competitive. And maybe overall department communications (bag policy, etc.) although those are somewhat small potatoes in the big picture.

Edited by Eli

I'm sorry but I dont like the schedule.  I know we are very inexperienced but one of the reasons kids play at the lower major level is to test themselves against better competition.  Also coaches can use that tactic while recruiting players. This is bottom line a terrible schedule.  

Edited by UA1882

7 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

I'm sorry but I dont like the schedule.  I know we are very inexperienced but one of the reasons kids play at the lower major level is to test themselves against better competition.  Also coaches can use that tactic while recruiting players. This is bottom line a terrible schedule.  

Let's not be hasty. Some of those teams may end up being good.

Last years schedule in August/September was AWESOME. Turned out to be complete crap.

11 minutes ago, Eli said:

Let's not be hasty. Some of those teams may end up being good.

Last years schedule in August/September was AWESOME. Turned out to be complete crap.

Ur right .... As a 17 year old kid I would love to hear we r playing Iona and whomever rather than Kentucky and Duke . My bad.