UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018/2019 Schedule

2 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Siena loses a bunch of money by losing this game. Their sponsors want it at the TUC so they get more exposure for their dollar. 

Siena gains a schedule spot to try and get a team they can beat

UA loses an easy win.

UA gains the opportunity to raise it's SOS, and the respect of its fan base.

Too bad we didn't take advantage and gain a better opponent on the schedule.

#SEFCU19 or please another year with no series. LCC will be begging for it to return within a few seasons.

Only thing I would say regarding the series is it starts back up at SEFCU if it's in 2019. No point in taking just a year off if it's the year it was supposed to be in our house just to return to their home on time.

6 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Siena loses a bunch of money by losing this game. Their sponsors want it at the TUC so they get more exposure for their dollar. 

Siena gains a schedule spot to try and get a team they can beat

UA loses an easy win.

UA gains the opportunity to raise it's SOS, and the respect of its fan base.

Too bad we didn't take advantage and gain a better opponent on the schedule.

#SEFCU19 or please another year with no series. LCC will be begging for it to return within a few seasons.

The is spot on. Instead of making some money sched a buy game or from playing the Siena game, we replaced it with what?? There’s no way we make more money for the from hosting one of the non conference games on our schedule than splitting ticket revenue from the game at the TU. 

Just to clarify. I can careless about the Siena game whether it’s played or not. I’d like to know the numbers on how much $ we took from the game the first time the building was split down the middle.

Edited by UA'08

Instead of scheduling D3 Oneonta every year, why not schedule a local lower level team if there has to be a down game?  Plenty of closer teams to schedule that could sell tickets.

St. Rose. RPI. Union. Skidmore. Hell, give HVCC a game. Any of those would sell more tickets than Oneonta if we have to have a non-D1 opponent.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

All I heard at the end of last season was that we don’t offer COLA, we don’t have money like SBU etc. If there was ever a time to go fill the sched with 3-4 buy games this would be the year. 

So when we have proven players we can’t seem to get games. When we have no proven players we go with this. Where’s the medium?

This is 100 percent true and my point exactly.  

3 hours ago, madDOG said:

Yeah if we could stop scheduling Oneonta, that'd be great. Also getting sick of seeing the same OOC teams every year. Let's schedule some CAA opponents for a change.

Maybe that would work if Benson had any sort of relationship with some of those CAA schools ADs or something. OH WAIT.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

Instead of scheduling D3 Oneonta every year, why not schedule a local lower level team if there has to be a down game?  Plenty of closer teams to schedule that could sell tickets.

St. Rose. RPI. Union. Skidmore. Hell, give HVCC a game. Any of those would sell more tickets than Oneonta if we have to have a non-D1 opponent.

I'd love a local game against St. Rose or HVCC.

39 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

The Albany Cup will not occur for the foreseeable future.  Based on news reports, JD drew a line in the sand which gave Mark no choice to walk away.  All or nothing, shows total disregard to the UAlbany basketball community.

It's only been about their fan base. Always.

3 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

He could be saying "Dammit Eli...this is the first time we've scheduled Monmouth and we haven't scheduled a series with Dartmouth in six or seven years..."

Hah, I meant in general. Might be their first time here. But it seems like we play the following teams year in, year out...whether on the road or away.

EDIT: I went back to my handy spreadsheet...

(since going D1 including this years schedule with the majority of these being since 2010)

Oneonta - 4x
Dartmouth - 10x
Holy Cross - 6x
Canisius - 5x
Monmouth - 5x
Yale - 10x
Iona - 4x

Less concerned with Iona & Yale as they are actually usually pretty good teams lately which helps our SOS. At least we stopped playing Cornell and Colgate lol.

Cornell - 7x
Colgate - 13x

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I applaud the Athletic Department making the stand. This is just awesome that we finally put our big boy pants on and walked away. LCC won't find a team that will draw as well as we do every other year if it was a home and home. I heard from someone in the athletic department that we did propose 2 games every year, but apparently that was turned down. 

I will miss the atmosphere of the game, but without the game at SEFCU every other year (including this season) it is not at all worth it. Good riddance. 

Benson may be popular today with the outspoken message boarders, but, what I have heard from virtually everyone in the business community and the non-UA non-Siena sports community is that Benson has not only lost the most anticipated game of the year, but, even worse has gotten destroyed in the public relations war.

24 minutes ago, statefan said:

Benson may be popular today with the outspoken message boarders, but, what I have heard from virtually everyone in the business community and the non-UA non-Siena sports community is that Benson has not only lost the most anticipated game of the year, but, even worse has gotten destroyed in the public relations war.

Possible, but Siena lost it... UA can't lose something it didn't have to begin with. Same community wasn't coming out to support UA when they were good, even with Siena being bad.

1 hour ago, statefan said:

The problem Benson had was that he essentially inherited this scheduling problem. The precedent of the Albany Cup game being held at the TUC was set long before he got here so he's going to look like the bad guy for not going along with what's been done in the past. I don't think he had a lot of great choices.  

• Like 3

In general, I don't like the Oneonta game either. As inexperienced as we're going to be this year, I don't mind starting off the season with getting it out of the way. 

This schedule might not have much sex appeal but the end of December is a tough stretch of games and I might be happy for Dartmouth. After that we'll be:

@Providence

Manhattan at home - who should be tough

@Kent State

@Niagara - probably one of the favorites in the MAAC

Vermont at home in the conference opener.

16 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

The problem Benson had was that he essentially inherited this scheduling problem. The precedent of the Albany Cup game being held at the TUC was set long before he got here so he's going to look like the bad guy for not going along with what's been done in the past. I don't think he had a lot of great choices.  

Yep. Benson shouldn't get any blame for anything. He put UA's and OUR interests first instead of caving to the so called 'community' game. I'm glad he didn't bite. Real glad.