UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Cremo nichols leave...

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

For the record I never said good riddance. Perhaps I don’t get weepy over a kid leaving. Support is for the program and there is absolutely nothing that I can do to change things regarding personnel. So move on. See what a new crop can bring. The measure of success for our program now is not winning seasons, it’s AE crowns and NCAA trips. Does a potential recruit care that Cremo was ROY or 6th man or set some records? Or would they be more impressed if we’d taken a couple of AE titles in that time? No, it’s not dealing with loss. It’s dealing with inevitable change which arrived sooner than we thought it would. 

I said good riddance in my initial comment which was too harsh.  But my point was if the kids want to leave and don't want to ride our their careers at UA then what else is there to say.  I will hold out until Monday though as it still seems "odd".  IMO, Joe is/was at UA for a reason and not at a so-called power 5 school.  I personally think he is at the perfect level for him to have success.  HE has trouble creating his own shot, limited foot speed, defense questionable.  How is he going to have success at a level where everyone will be bigger and quicker than he is???  I just don't see it.

• Like 1

Disappointed Cremo is leaving but I'll be curious to see where he ends up and wish him well. He's a guy who basically locks himself in the gym all summer to work on his game. He likely looks around at what Huerter is doing at Maryland, Platek getting time at North Carolina, JGIII getting offers from Duke and Hameir Wright at Washington. The appeal of another season of bus rides to Orono and Durham might not seem that appealing. 

Again, not happy with the decision but I understand.

I think most of us knew he was going to be a terrific player for us when he signed. I think the staff probably has to take a look in the mirror regarding this situation also. In the years he was here we never really managed to build around him with other quality pieces.

• Like 2

The more I think about it...the more it looks like Nichols was leaving one way or another, I think to much has transpired behind the scenes with the tension etc. and it was well known that he would be graduating and could be a free agent. I have to believe Cremo knowing this said to himself, we lost our starting front court and starting PG plus two other transfers. I can stay and try to cobble together a run with myself, Campbell and FIVE FRESHMAN and whomever else we recruit...or I can transfer and try another route to get to the NCAA's. 

Regardless how talented our freshman may be on paper, they will still be freshman so it's possible he looked at the state of affairs and said to himself...

200.gif

• Like 2

My last last words .... going to games for 48 seasons ...last 19 years at Division 1 ... coaching instability in the early years however our athlete - student relative stability ...  this is biggest departure of established talent... remember we lost 4 players ... sitting in the stands after the Stony Brook lost ... the comments about a 22 - 10 season which did not feel like a successful season ... as we watched Cremo make his usual track across the floor to say hello to some family and friends ... .his face lacked any emotion... he looked he was saying his goodbys..we were discussing whether or not the CIT or CBI would be appropriate .... then "KF" stated we need change ... I do not think this what we were hoping for this ...in my opinion...  too much Roger Wyland in the face of Will Brown and Joe Cremo ... looking for something to report on Channel 13...Joe was tired of being the face of UAlbany ... as the old saying goes "if you cannot take the heat of the kitchen ... get out" ...Will thank you for taking a chance on Cremo - Nichols ... Will Brown ... you have my support

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

The more I think about it...the more it looks like Nichols was leaving one way or another, I think to much has transpired behind the scenes with the tension etc. and it was well known that he would be graduating and could be a free agent. I have to believe Cremo knowing this said to himself, we lost our starting front court and starting PG plus two other transfers. I can stay and try to cobble together a run with myself, Campbell and FIVE FRESHMAN and whomever else we recruit...or I can transfer and try another route to get to the NCAA's. 

Regardless how talented our freshman may be on paper, they will still be freshman so it's possible he looked at the state of affairs and said to himself...

200.gif

This!!!   And, I don’t blame him the more I think about it.  Disappointed but no blame

29 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Joe Cremo in studio on 104.5 to discuss future. To me this was all calculated by him as he coaching staff is all at the final four. Extremely shady on his part.

No Joe. Due to possible NCAA complications rules regulations compliance etc, he won’t be on today. Perhaps after he signs the waiver on Monday. 

5 minutes ago, McFan said:

Now would be a good time for season ticket reminders to go out, with an increase.

Sorry, I see this as a huge step backwards.  

It's a team that lost in the quarters and never jelled...I'm over it!!! Brown I know is working the trail HARD right now. Let's go! Less drama and tension in the program next year, let's fill those scholarships and see where things shake out. 

I for one was a bit tired of everyone walking on eggshells in the program afraid to say anything to upset the apple cart...whatever! Program didn't die yesterday!

10 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

This!!!   And, I don’t blame him the more I think about it.  Disappointed but no blame

No ones really blaming him. I think it’s ok for fans to be upset and feel like he turned his back and quit on the program. Which he did.

Just like coaches can decide not to renew your scholarship, you have every right to use your grad transfer.

Edited by UA'08

I wish the departing players well and thank them for their service and fine representation of our school! They will be missed!

As to the state of the program today, keep in mind, we finished in fourth place at 10-6, and we lost---at home---to fifth-place and 7-9 Stony Brook. There are a lot of talented high school amd JUCO players out there, as evidenced by the three teams ahead of us in the standings and the fifth-place, sub .500, team that outplayed us at SEFCU in the tournament. At best, we were the 5th most athletic team in the America East, IMHO.

Having a couple extra scholarships to offer to some players might, and probably will, be a blessing in disguise. 

The rules in basketball, like football, seem to be reverting to the less-physical era. At one time, basketball players were thin, agile, and tall. Now they often resemble football bigs who are simply not as quick on their feet. We have been torched in recent years by quicker, more athletic teams in our league. Our perimeter defense has been an issue for years ... .

Edited by UA_MA_2000

11 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Don't really understand the release being dragged out...what's the issue? Go!!! 

Not sure it's being dragged out. Monday or Tuesday after the Final Four seems pretty standard for this stuff when it's not expected. Issue is that it got out before then.

20 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

It's a team that lost in the quarters and never jelled...I'm over it!!! Brown I know is working the trail HARD right now. Let's go! Less drama and tension in the program next year, let's fill those scholarships and see where things shake out. 

I for one was a bit tired of everyone walking on eggshells in the program afraid to say anything to upset the apple cart...whatever! Program didn't die yesterday!

It didn’t die but it’s pretty sick.

WB is recruiting hard I’m sure but his 2 best recruits in the last 3 years just walked away.  We have no seniors, juniors, or sophomores that are even serviceable starters at this level, maybe even legit minute eaters.  Recent recruits haven’t panned out.  

We can spin it.  Positive attitude is great, but this is ugly.

2 minutes ago, McFan said:

It didn’t die but it’s pretty sick.

WB is recruiting hard I’m sure but his 2 best recruits in the last 3 years just walked away.  We have no seniors, juniors, or sophomores that are even serviceable starters at this level, maybe even legit minute eaters.  Recent recruits haven’t panned out.  

We can spin it.  Positive attitude is great, but this is ugly.

I don't think it's as dire as you predict but will wait and see...