UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Cremo nichols leave...

Some interesting points from the AE board:

Don't think we've seen an offseason where the conference has lost this much in a while...

UMBC loses Maura, Lyles, and Grant
UVM loses TBH, Urquhart, Ward and Henson
UA loses Cremo, Nichols, Stire, and Charles
UNH loses Leissner and Camara
UML loses Thomas and Harris
Maine loses Calixte and Er

Should be interesting to see how the conference shakes out next year. Like I said, I'm not too worried. We were never truly successful with Joe and David running the show and I highly doubt we'd have won the title next year even with them. Joe was a more leader by example (gym rat) which is great to have but we don't need just that. We need a guy to grab his men by the jersey and talk sense into them. We needed a vocal leader. An actual boss on the court if you will. David DEFINITELY wasn't a leader in any way shape or form. As Dane96 says on the AE board (not these terms specifically but same point)...that dude is about to receive a MAJOR *****slap back to reality. Joe's work ethic will at least take him places and I wish him the best of luck. David will lie in the bed he's made for himself at this point. His constant nonsense and actions were a detriment to the team as a whole but the higher level teams won't take that. His talent won't be enough to get him playing time. He'll be a bench warmer or spot duty player.

Hopefully Rizzuto has that leadership quality. Isn't he cousins with the Iati's? Jacob and John were some of the best leaders, at least it seemed so to me, that we ever had.

Shocking to us fans of the AE, but I doubt this is a surprise to Brown and his staff. You don't just graduate in three years by accident. I know they have the summer terms to get ahead, but there are a lot of of boxes you need to check off in order graduate in three years. It's not like they realized this week they could graduate in May and the wheels starting turning.

At least I hope that there have been conversations with Brown. I know Nyama gave Boals and staff the heads up about his plans, graduating and forgoing his fifth year for pro ball overseas, a year in advance. I'd be surprised if the same wasn't true here.

I have a hard time believing this is news to those within the inner circle. The REAL inner circle. I definitely agree that Joe didn't just wake up a week or two ago and think, hmm, I'm out. Both of them likely had no intention of graduating here after the great year they had in 16-17 and saw that maybe they'd get attention higher up.

Wish Joe pulled a Lyles and stayed though. Literally would be hanging in the rafters in a few years. EDIT: Not Joe the human, obviously...Joe the jersey lol.

-----------------------------------------

As a Heat fan, I have as much faith in Brown as I do in Pat Riley. The Heat and Danes don't rebuild...we retool. We'll be fine. Brown probably knew about this stuff going down (maybe not 100% on Cremo but had a good indication) and has been working for weeks to recover. I have complete trust in the man to get some good replacements.

We might not win 20 games next year...but I don't think it'll be a Siena type season either. I'm thinking 15-16 wins.

Edited by Eli

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

too much Roger Wyland in the face of Will Brown and Joe Cremo ... looking for something to report on Channel 13...Joe was tired of being the face of UAlbany ... as the old saying goes "if you cannot take the heat of the kitchen ... get out" ...Will thank you for taking a chance on Cremo - Nichols ... Will Brown ... you have my support

Hmmm some news tweets appeared and are now deleted on Twitter... sigh. The fact that Roger said Monday for Joe's waiver and didn't say that for David...makes me wonder. Well Joe made his decision now, so that's that I guess.

12 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

It's hard to think that Joe could have done much more there.

Again, I liked Zach Bye when he was here and I know he is/was a long time friend of Joe; but this comment just sounds like talk show fodder. How can he make a comment like this? There is plenty more that Joe could have done! For starters if nothing else, finish what he started; not to mention that he could lead a team to the ncaa's, could become player of the year in the conference, could break all sorts of personnel records. I know it sounds bitter to say he has not accomplished any of these things and truth be told the records, rewards & ncaa are really secondary, but finishing what he started here would have been (IMHO) much more rewarding than "seeing" if he could play @ a higher level. And Oh by the way he had no higher level or for that matter any offer from any school other that UA. Maybe a little loyalty to the school that showed a lot of interest and gave him a free university degree is something MORE he could have done.

• Like 3

My last comment on Joe. I know you are all saying:  Yeh enough already yank.  But here it is: Someone needs/needed to get in Joe's face and tell him he is NOT skilled or athletic enough to play @ a higher level. Until yesterday I would have said @ least he has there "heart" to play @ a higher level; now I am not so sure about that either. I hope he proves me wrong.

DONE. see ya all over on the recruiting thread and on lacrosse of course.

7 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Again, I liked Zach Bye when he was here and I know he is/was a long time friend of Joe; but this comment just sounds like talk show fodder. How can he make a comment like this? There is plenty more that Joe could have done! For starters if nothing else, finish what he started; not to mention that he could lead a team to the ncaa's, could become player of the year in the conference, could break all sorts of personnel records. I know it sounds bitter to say he has not accomplished any of these things and truth be told the records, rewards & ncaa are really secondary, but finishing what he started here would have been (IMHO) much more rewarding than "seeing" if he could play @ a higher level. And Oh by the way he had no higher level or for that matter any offer from any school other that UA. Maybe a little loyalty to the school that showed a lot of interest and gave him a free university degree is something MORE he could have done.

I think Zach is saying that given the talent around him he did all he could do.  I hope you’re right but I’m not as big on WBs recruiting prowess.  Maybe Joe knows tha Devonte was still going to be the 3, Nichols was gone, and the bigs are more Mike Rowley than Sam Rowley.

Seriously, take the names Nichols and Cremo out and give me a HS recruit that’s been decent?

25 minutes ago, dslyank said:

He had no other offers because it was a known fact he was an open and closed case when it came to recruit. It was always Albany for him. 

Bye's comment really rubbed me the wrong way...he basically confirmed that Joe flat out quit on UA. Nothing more you can say about it...he threw his hands up and walked away and in the moment forever changed his trajectory of what he was to this program. 

It's the way everything went down that reeks. Joe obviously did not have the balls to let the fans know himself. He leaked it and let his people break the news for him. Wyland and co. should have waited till the coaches were back from the final F4, but instead burned all his bridges with the program. 

Like he said, he's 21, he should be man enough to let everyone know himself. Not his confidants. 

15 minutes ago, McFan said:

I think Zach is saying that given the talent around him he did all he could do.  I hope you’re right but I’m not as big on WBs recruiting prowess.  Maybe Joe knows tha Devonte was still going to be the 3, Nichols was gone, and the bigs are more Mike Rowley than Sam Rowley.

Seriously, take the names Nichols and Cremo out and give me a HS recruit that’s been decent?

This is my read on it as well, doesn't change the fact that he quit on UA, right or wrong or indifferent but what exactly on paper was he going to play with here? 5 Freshman who on paper while very talented would have growing pains, a SF who couldn't score a lick from the wing. A critical position in basketball...and 5 empty roster spots?

I get why he bailed...it sucks...he could have been that stabilizing force for UA to lead into the next era of UA hoops with Lulka, Hank, Rizzuto, DeSousa and Healey. 

4 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

This is my read on it as well, doesn't change the fact that he quit on UA, right or wrong or indifferent but what exactly on paper was he going to play with here? 5 Freshman who on paper while very talented would have growing pains, a SF who couldn't score a lick from the wing. A critical position in basketball...and 5 empty roster spots?

I get why he bailed...it sucks...he could have been that stabilizing force for UA to lead into the next era of UA hoops with Lulka, Hank, Rizzuto, DeSousa and Healey. 

Yup people can try and spin it however they want. He was a captain and he quit on the team period.

My closing comment (I think, I reserve the right to write more later) on David and his career.

I know and acknowledge that I have been critical to maybe even  very critical of what I perceived as David's contribution to the team. By all accounts, he was a great student and his heart was in the right place I think. I'm not sure he always knew as a young man how to channel the frustrations and emotions of being such a critical part of this program and perhaps that came out sideways at times. He was a supreme talent, probably one of the best talents to ever come through this program and for that he deserved to be commanded. He's earned the right and the privilege to chart his own course as he has excelled in his academics. I'll remember his talent and wish him the best wherever he ends up. No sour grapes here, UA program will go on, he hopefully goes on to achieve what he wanted. 

Thank you David even though it was bumpy at times...when he was on...this kid WAS ON!

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1