UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018-19

Let's stir the pot a bit shall we?   How long has it been since Brown has won the AE championship?

How long are we going to wait until another?    When do we start putting him on the hotseat?  :rolleyes::ph34r:

He's getting comfy with all of that salary.   What have you done for me lately, other than losing cremo and nichols?  :D

What do you think click?  This used to get you triggered easily.

I'm going to argue the flip side lol.

IMO, Brown is in Bob Ford status. Only way he leaves is of his own volition. Dude has a lifetime contract as far as I'm concerned, whether he wins another title or not lol. We went from being absolutely nobody in D1 to being a perennial AE power/title contender...to the point that we expect 20 win seasons pretty much every year. This year the standard is a bit lower due to how new our team is but if he gets to 17-20 wins this year, forget it, SEFCU will be renamed Will Brown Court at SEFCU Arena.

:)

28 minutes ago, uofalbany said:

Let's stir the pot a bit shall we?   How long has it been since Brown has won the AE championship?

How long are we going to wait until another?    When do we start putting him on the hotseat?  :rolleyes::ph34r:

He's getting comfy with all of that salary.   What have you done for me lately, other than losing cremo and nichols?  :D

What do you think click?  This used to get you triggered easily.

He's good in my book for a while, his recruiting right now has been top notch, probably some of the best raw talent we've ever had. Helps that he's got a winning % of 66% the last 5 years. Yes, he hasn't gone back to the NCAA's since 3-peating in '13, '14 and '15...but he's a proven commodity with 5 AE rings. He's not batting 29% in conference the last 5 years. 

This year will most likely be a rebuilding year but I think he's priming the pump for a big 3 or 4 year spurt here. If he gets the kids good experience this year, wins 50% of the games, I'll be stoked for what comes next year. 

Edited by Clickclack

Taking a little more optimistic attitude. I think Brown is thinking like rebuild NOW. i.e. Get the newbie bumps over the first couple of months and have THIS team primed to surprise  a lot of people THIS March. I do not think it is in his nature to rebuild for next year. He may take it slow with so many newbies, but IMHO he fully believes and is preparing/prepping for THIS year's AmEast championship. Lifetime contract, Big Bucks or not, I do not think it is just coach speak when he says UA strives to compete for the championship EVERY year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BhillGuy said:

Cant wait to bump this in March

Not sure if this is a negative or positive bump lol. Bump because we were too positive, or because the team is going to surprise us all?

I'm as excited for this season as I have been in a long time. I'm glad that people are starting with low expectations. Less pressure on the team while the new pieces figure out how they fit together.

Brown can miss the AE playoffs (finishing last) for the next few years in a row before anyone starts making Patsos or Gattuso comments. He has earned it. He took a new program to the tournament in 5 years, had a rough patch where everyone called for his head, then worked and turned the program into a winner again. No one questions him today, except fans of other teams that cling to past mistakes.

My heart is expecting a repeat of the 14-15 season. Rough OOC as the team tried to figure out how to best use Singletary and Sanders, but gelled by the time conference started, running to a 15-1 record (should have been 16-0 if a few calls went the other way or if Sanders hits that 3 against SBU), but my brain tells me to have patience with so many new pieces and unknowns. 

My excitement to see what is in store is why I complained about crickets twice this week.

Hopefully Bhillguy is bumping at the end of the year because we all underestimated how quickly the team comes together and we are celebrating a 9 or 10 seed in March. :)

4 hours ago, Eli said:

I'm going to argue the flip side lol.

IMO, Brown is in Bob Ford status. Only way he leaves is of his own volition. Dude has a lifetime contract as far as I'm concerned, whether he wins another title or not lol. We went from being absolutely nobody in D1 to being a perennial AE power/title contender...to the point that we expect 20 win seasons pretty much every year. This year the standard is a bit lower due to how new our team is but if he gets to 17-20 wins this year, forget it, SEFCU will be renamed Will Brown Court at SEFCU Arena.

:)

That brings up a question for the board.  Why isn't it "Doc Sauers Court" yet? 41 seasons and 702 wins should amount to something better than a small banner with 702 on it.  I understand most of the years were at D3, last couple at D2 and he did coach at SEFCU for his last 5 seasons.  No national titles but neither Tom Brennan at UVM or even a guy like Gene Keady at Purdue have one yet their names are on the court.  Doc retired and then coached womens golf so it's not like he ran off to another school in a bitter dispute.  Is is now too late since CB is there 17 years and may get to say 30 years or more and you don't rename courts later?  Did Doc say no thanks? Thoughts?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

That brings up a question for the board.  Why isn't it "Doc Sauers Court" yet? 41 seasons and 702 wins should amount to something better than a small banner with 702 on it.  I understand most of the years were at D3, last couple at D2 and he did coach at SEFCU for his last 5 seasons.  No national titles but neither Tom Brennan at UVM or even a guy like Gene Keady at Purdue have one yet their names are on the court.  Doc retired and then coached womens golf so it's not like he ran off to another school in a bitter dispute.  Is is now too late since CB is there 17 years and may get to say 30 years or more and you don't rename courts later?  Did Doc say no thanks? Thoughts?

$

• Thanks 1

I have to say this because I say it every year.  There is a lot of talent on this team and we know Brown doesn't like playing more than 7 or 8 players regularly.  Others will get minutes but not significant.  That leaves some "talented" players sitting on the bench for most of the season, upset and festering and leaving at the end of the year.  I love it that they bring in talent but don't like losing a bunch of players at the end of each season transferring out. Probably doesn't matter much because other than Cremo and Nichols, who transferred for different reasons, none of the transfer have gone on to do really well at higher level schools. I guess they were misses adn not as talented as first thought. 

I always worry about playing time when we say, "This team is deep and talented".

28 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

I have to say this because I say it every year.  There is a lot of talent on this team and we know Brown doesn't like playing more than 7 or 8 players regularly.  Others will get minutes but not significant.  That leaves some "talented" players sitting on the bench for most of the season, upset and festering and leaving at the end of the year.  I love it that they bring in talent but don't like losing a bunch of players at the end of each season transferring out. Probably doesn't matter much because other than Cremo and Nichols, who transferred for different reasons, none of the transfer have gone on to do really well at higher level schools. I guess they were misses adn not as talented as first thought. 

I always worry about playing time when we say, "This team is deep and talented".

Not every kid works out...I'm not sure who of the recent departures over the last 5 years was really that talented. 

36 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Not every kid works out...I'm not sure who of the recent departures over the last 5 years was really that talented. 

Baker is probably the only one (outside of Cremo and Nichols). That Aussie kid with the stash was a bench warmer at best. Same for Tre Green or whatever his name was. Yeah, most of the kids leave never did anything for us and don't do anything for anyone else.

Baker could have but he just had some personal issues it sounds like to work over. Kid would have been all-AE otherwise. If we had him + Cremo and Nichols we definitely would won an AE title. IMO.

Edited by Eli

36 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Wheeler Baker (left for unfortunate reasons and never played elsewhere)

Kyle McKinley - will probably do well this year.

But your point is well taken. Talent in High School and JUCO doesn't always translate to D1 ball. I hate to see kids transfer out, but in the end as long as it is best for them, then I am all for it and wish them well.