UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018-19

25 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

This is D1 college basketball. I don’t think there’s a comparison at all. 

There isn't a comparison between a poll after week 1 and an end of season accomplishment. It is why our final 4 was brought up and not our #1 ranking during part of the season

Edited by bob87

41 minutes ago, bob87 said:

There isn't a comparison between a poll after week 1 and an end of season accomplishment. It is why our final 4 was brought up and not our #1 ranking during part of the season

I’ll refraise that..to be able to crack the regular season top 25 in college basketball is more impressive to me than reaching a final 4 in a non rev generating sport. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UA'08 said:

I’ll refraise that..to be able to crack the regular season top 25 in college basketball is more impressive to me than reaching a final 4 in a non rev generating sport. 

Rephrase it as many times as you want. You are entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with you. 

My opinion has been stated before both here and which games I travel to.

A position in a poll after the first week is never comparable to a season long accomplishment. 

As someone who has seen at least one national champion crowned each year this century and 4 this year, I will keep going to those games when ever I can. That is what they are playing for. 

Just now, bob87 said:

Rephrase it as many times as you want. You are entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with you. 

My opinion has been stated before both here and which games I travel to.

A position in a poll after the first week is never comparable to a season long accomplishment. 

As someone who has seen at least one national champion crowned each year this century and 4 this year, I will keep going to those games when ever I can. That is what they are playing for. 

That’s fine. More importantly is how the hell did I spell rephrase there. Woof

I'm with UA'08. While going to final fours in the lesser known sports is quite an accomplishment and shows our overall stature as athletic program/university...UA BB going top 25 in the 2nd most popular college sport (football I think is first...where is Lacrosse? Like 7th? 10th? I know it's growing but still...) would be a WAY bigger accomplishment. It's not even close.

If you want to talk about season long accomplishments (Bob's point)...us having a March Madness run like the tools across town did 15 years ago would be more noteworthy and historically significant than our LAX team getting to the final four. By a country mile.

The ONLY way I see LAX or FH being talked about on the same level as a major BB D1 accomplishment is if they WIN the national championship as it'll be the first our school has ever had in D1 (unless I'm drawing a blank and we already have one from some lesser sport I don't follow which kind of proves the point...). Being #1 all season long or getting to the final four and losing...that's a step below a proper big time moment in D1 hoops like reaching the Sweet 16 or THAT final four.

I would consider being in the basketball top 25 WAY more important/impressive than winning a national championship in Lacrosse, much less being in the final 4. Big time college athletics is all about what it does for the brand of the university and how much attention it brings to the school, thus adding to the value of your degree. 99 out of 100 random people on the street can't name one of the last 5 national champs in LAX.  A pretty strong percentage now know that UMBC is a college with an athletic program. Lacrosse is growing, but it isn't even a pimple on that national medias forehead, much less something that brings attention. 

• Like 2

Like bob said it’s based on opinion on what each of us considers what’s a greater achievement. I look at being ranked in the top 25 as a big big milestone. That means you are on notice nationally. Might sound crazy, but I honestly think it’s a harder accomplishment than just winning a first round NCAA game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli said:

I'm with UA'08. While going to final fours in the lesser known sports is quite an accomplishment and shows our overall stature as athletic program/university...UA BB going top 25 in the 2nd most popular college sport (football I think is first...where is Lacrosse? Like 7th? 10th? I know it's growing but still...) would be a WAY bigger accomplishment. It's not even close.

If you want to talk about season long accomplishments (Bob's point)...us having a March Madness run like the tools across town did 15 years ago would be more noteworthy and historically significant than our LAX team getting to the final four. By a country mile.

The ONLY way I see LAX or FH being talked about on the same level as a major BB D1 accomplishment is if they WIN the national championship as it'll be the first our school has ever had in D1 (unless I'm drawing a blank and we already have one from some lesser sport I don't follow which kind of proves the point...). Being #1 all season long or getting to the final four and losing...that's a step below a proper big time moment in D1 hoops like reaching the Sweet 16 or THAT final four.

No drawing a blank Eli,  UA has never won any national championship in any sport even in the D3, D2, NAIA days.  Besides the Final Four in FH and Lax, the best results I have found was the Final Four in D3 football playoffs in 1977 and the Elite 8 in D3 mens basketball tourney in 93-94 season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

No drawing a blank Eli,  UA has never won any national championship in any sport even in the D3, D2, NAIA days.  Besides the Final Four in FH and Lax, the best results I have found was the Final Four in D3 football playoffs in 1977 and the Elite 8 in D3 mens basketball tourney in 93-94 season.

We have however had a number of individuals win national titles in Track & Field (all DIII I believe).

6 hours ago, uofalbany said:

Gotta pick someone for that no.25 slot out of the herd of teams.

Especially after week 1 where it is virtually meaningless in my opinion. 

As far as some compared top 25 to a first round win for their opinion. 

Would you rather be a 6 seed in the basketball tournament (thought to be team #21, 22, 23 or 24 at the end of the season) and lose the first round to an 11 seed or would you rather be the 11 seed who beat the 6?

Edited by bob87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bob87 said:

Especially after week 1 where it is virtually meaningless in my opinion. 

As far as some compared top 25 to a first round win for their opinion. 

Would you rather be a 6 seed in the basketball tournament (thought to be team #21, 22, 23 or 24 at the end of the season) and lose the first round to an 11 seed or would you rather be the 11 seed who beat the 6?

I'd rather be the 6 seed in CBB. Way more press throughout the season, and hell, even bad press for the loss is still press. Not sure if the final 4 in LAX even made the front cover of the Times Union. Finishing the year in the top 24 and getting a 6 or 7 seed would be above the fold.