UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

14 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Just changed what I said.  Confused a little.

BTW

LB's against St. Francis - as it should be - But I think remarkable with how the D line is getting pushed around! 

Damico      5 Solo Tackles
Sussman   4 Solo Tackles
Metheny    5 Assists
Watson      3 Solo Tackles
Mencer      3 Solo Tackles
Conover     1 Solo Tackle
LB's had a total of 16 Solo Tackles and 15 Assists

D Tackles had ONE SOLO TACKLE;   
Dolce - D End had 2 Solos   
D Line including ends had 3 Solo Tackles and 13 assists

In some defensive schemes the Dline is meant to keep the Oline engaged so they can't get to the LBs and so LBs can make the tackle. Not saying that is UAs scheme but just a thought. My biggest problem with the dline is the lack of any sort of pressure.  Once they pulled one of them and had an LB lined up at end they got some pressure which was a nice adjustment.

Do I need to post my football resume so people will believe what I wrote? ^_^

- Played from 8 years old through high school on offensive and defensive line, stopped to play baseball in college before major injury halted career

- Father was football coach for 30 years, he never played a down but still was extremely successful and knowledgeable

- I assisted him as a coach for 4 of those years

HAHAHA!!!  Sorry had to do it!

Seriously though, please stop bickering. It's making the site not fun to read honestly. Just PM each other your insults.  Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

In some defensive schemes the Dline is meant to keep the Oline engaged so they can't get to the LBs and so LBs can make the tackle. Not saying that is UAs scheme but just a thought. My biggest problem with the dline is the lack of any sort of pressure.  Once they pulled one of them and had an LB lined up at end they got some pressure which was a nice adjustment.

Do I need to post my football resume so people will believe what I wrote? ^_^

- Played from 8 years old through high school on offensive and defensive line, stopped to play baseball in college before major injury halted career

- Father was football coach for 30 years, he never played a down but still was extremely successful and knowledgeable

- I assisted him as a coach for 4 of those years

HAHAHA!!!  Sorry had to do it!

Seriously though, please stop bickering. It's making the site not fun to read honestly. Just PM each other your insults.  Thanks!

As I said I am not going to respond anymore to guys who merely want to complain an attack UNLESS I am attacked.  No idea WHEN your father coached or what level but to be a HS Coach in NY state he would have HAD to be certified for at least the last 50-60 years or so.   Taking coaching philosophy courses, understanding offenses and defenses, understanding blocking schemes, actually developing an offensive scheme or defensive scheme, coverages etc., organizing practices and getting CERTIFIED to be a coach means you would have some knowledge. Merely playing or coaching Pop Warner does not or a little HS ball does not!!   All HS coaches in NY State [and most other states] have to be certified and therefore qualified and have to meet certain standards.  MOST go to numerous clinics during the off-season to learn more and understand better.   It is not helpful when people clearly have little or no knowledge and just want to complain, call names or call for coaches to be fired..  

Keeping O line merely "engaged" is not typically a DL responsibility. At least not a specific responsibility.  Of course that is what happens unless they are driven off the ball immediately.  You are absolutely correct that it helps the LB scrape to the ball or allows them to drop into a zone or get to the flat or the pursue to the corner.  Depends on the def though.  Most interior Def linemen are taught to read the O Lineman, where he places his head for example, where his first step is made, the type of block etc [that is ONE reason why counters work].  THEN react if it is a run or a pass play.  Of course a stunt would change that.   

BYT, I not only played through college, I coached HS for 20 years [and Pop Warner some as well in between when my son played - then went back to HS].  Had to get NY State Cert.  Which required courses in philosophy of coaching [Coach Ford taught them ], philosophy of FB coaching, designing offenses and defenses,  special teams play, line techniques on both O and D, secondary coverages, organizing practices, etc etc etc..   I was a head coach who never had a losing season, had more than one undefeated season,  BUT I specifically Always ran the defense.   Just saying - this does NOT mean that I know everything. I do not.  never said I did, but some of the things I have heard I just could not ignore.  Now I will stay out of the fray and let you guys go at it. 

PLEASE stop the constant negativity and attacks!

Edited by HOF2013

13 hours ago, jimbo said:

This is a legit question. What do you see? Scheme? Injuries? Technique? Talent? Size? Lack of effort? Coaching? You’d figure a guy good enough to start games at Penn St should dominate at this level, but I’ve not seen it. 

They seem to want smaller Def Lineman who are quick.  They have used the speed to be successful on def in recent years.  BUT we have lost key players because of graduation and a couple of injuries. A couple of the smaller-shorter guys seem to have put on a LOT of weight and lost some speed.  In the past, we all know the Offense was not working - this year the O is finally coming together.  They have done exactly what you guys have wanted - they obviously saw the sames things we did. 

This year the D line is not as quick and they do not seem to be able to bull rush or use other 'quick' techniques as well - not getting the penetration they should be.  They may improve [but so will other team's O lines]  The LB's as I have said are doing a remarkable job based on the play of the D Line.  They have always relied on SMALL Def secondary guys [ we lost our tall S S]  They are recruiting bigger taller guys - ALL or MOST commits are taller than guys we have now!  THAT is what happened against RI, Morgan State AND St. Francis - they had tall WR.  This was clearly illustrated fade passes in the last game - the taller receivers out jumped our short guys. 

Coach Gatusso said he is going to take a more active part in working with the D Line.  Good idea BUT it is NOT what a Head Coach typically does on this level.  Most College Head coaches have a lot going on and don't do as much everyday teaching on individual positions as some might think [they may work with position coaches more during the off season and pre-season].  I can tell you from personal experience that COACH FORD did NOT do individual position coaching/teaching most of the time once the season started. Sure he would jump in whenever he wanted and thought he should, especially on the Offense.  

As an aside, I can tell you that for the first time ever, this year, the Head RPI coach is not calling the O plays. He has too much else to do.  This is typical of all head coaches in college.

Head coaches DO make decisions on 4th downs, type of kick-off maybe when he wants an onside kick, even WHAT play to run in certain situations BUT not on MOST plays.

Much more to say but I'll leave it here for now.

Edited by HOF2013

2 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

As I said I am not going to respond anymore to guys who merely want to complain an attack UNLESS I am attacked.  No idea WHEN your father coached or what level but to be a HS Coach in NY state he would have HAD to be certified for at least the last 50-60 years or so.   Taking coaching philosophy courses, understanding offenses and defenses, understanding blocking schemes, actually developing an offensive scheme or defensive scheme, coverages etc., organizing practices and getting CERTIFIED to be a coach means you would have some knowledge. Merely playing or coaching Pop Warner does not or a little HS ball does not!!   All HS coaches in NY State [and most other states] have to be certified and therefore qualified and have to meet certain standards.  MOST go to numerous clinics during the off-season to learn more and understand better.   It is not helpful when people clearly have little or no knowledge and just want to complain, call names or call for coaches to be fired..  

Keeping O line merely "engaged" is not typically a DL responsibility. At least not a specific responsibility.  Of course that is what happens unless they are driven off the ball immediately.  You are absolutely correct that it helps the LB scrape to the ball or allows them to drop into a zone or get to the flat or the pursue to the corner.  Depends on the def though.  Most interior Def linemen are taught to read the O Lineman, where he places his head for example, where his first step is made, the type of block etc [that is ONE reason why counters work].  THEN react if it is a run or a pass play.  Of course a stunt would change that.   

BYT, I not only played through college, I coached HS for 20 years [and Pop Warner some as well in between when my son played - then went back to HS].  Had to get NY State Cert.  Which required courses in philosophy of coaching [Coach Ford taught them ], philosophy of FB coaching, designing offenses and defenses,  special teams play, line techniques on both O and D, secondary coverages, organizing practices, etc etc etc..   I was a head coach who never had a losing season, had more than one undefeated season,  BUT I specifically Always ran the defense.   Just saying - this does NOT mean that I know everything. I do not.  never said I did, but some of the things I have heard I just could not ignore.  Now I will stay out of the fray and let you guys go at it. 

PLEASE stop the constant negativity and attacks!

Please stop taking things so seriously.  I was joking around. 

• Thanks 1

Here’s what I struggle with regarding the defense.   Yes, we lost an All CAA kid in Hoskins.  Other than him, the D Line is 95% intact from last season. 

The regression is astounding to me with what was truly going to be our strength position. 

To me, that comes down to scheme.   And yes, I agree that a head coach isn’t as involved as many think.  However, with such a 180 with respect to the line, I do think it behooves Coach to dial it up with the staff and position and figure out what the issue is.  

In the secondary, I do agree that the Gray and Burton losses were massive...and Wynn seems to be injured.  But they were responsible for recruiting and if we are being honest, there were some misses in the secondary in the last few classes. 

I do like what we brought in and have on deck with the 2019 class coming in from a size and speed perspective.  

Edited by Dane96

4 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Here’s what I struggle with regarding the defense.   Yes, we lost an All CAA kid in Hoskins.  Other than him, the D Line is 95% intact from last season. 

The regression is astounding to me with what was truly going to be our strength position. 

To me, that comes down to scheme.   And yes, I agree that a head coach isn’t as involved as many think.  However, with such a 180 with respect to the line, I do think it behooves Coach to dial it up with the staff and position and figure out what the issue is.  

In the secondary, I do agree that the Gray and Burton losses were massive...and Wynn seems to be injured.  But they were responsible for recruiting and if we are being honest, there were some misses in the secondary in the last few classes. 

I do like what we brought in and have on deck with the 2019 class coming in from a size and speed perspective.  

I'm gonna reserve judgment until I see them play. When you read the recruiting threads every kid is better than the last... Then they get on the field... Lol

It's undeniable that since ford's kids aged out Gattuso is really struggling to build a complete team. It's either he's throwing the offensive kids/o-line under the bus or blaming anyone he can for his recruiting mistakes. Now he has a functional offense and as you point out the defensive line that is mostly intact goes into the craper, there is no depth anywhere... A qb is starting as a lb for Pete's sake... Not to mention the completely non functional secondary... of course you'll never hear from him that it's not good enough, he has to do better on the recruiting trail etc. We all know what the issues is, he doesn't know how to fix it. He finally got a serviceable qb (for one year)... I full expect the qb position to regress due to inexperience and that will be the built in excuse. It's been 5 years of this. 

If you watched the secondary last game... I don't know how you could walk away and say anything less than that was a complete joke of a performance by the entire secondary. It's was UGLY... Same for the d line... HOF2013 can't bring himself to analyze why it's such a mess so he regurgitates what is self evident while in the same breath telling the entire board that we aren't qualified to discuss anything we see. You watch them and it's obvious they are very slow, same with lb. 

There's an easy solution to all this... Don't suck. Now you watch that defense and tell me they don't suck. It's infuriating to be pissed on and told its raining when they are giving up 300 yards in a half. 

He's been here FIVE YEARS... when are we gonna stop being OK with being irrelevant in the caa? How long is this going to take... HOW LONG? 

Edited by Clickclack

9 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Last year, I remember Coach Clark saying that he didn't do anything complicated on defense, he had athletes and he wanted them to be athletic and make plays.  I also read an article a week or two ago with Coach Dudzinski saying they wanted to simplify the defense, that he knew there were things that they could do but they weren't there yet.  Purely speculation but it sounds like the defense became more complex.  No way to know if that's the issue but there is a stark contrast in the comments from the coaches.

Jonny Moore, Erie, PA, TE, DT, 6' 5" 310 lbs,   https://twitter.com/JonathanMoore00   https://www.hudl.com/profile/6286438/Jonny-Moore
Extremely blessed and honored to have received my first offer from U of Albany #GoDanes

July 27  Had an absolutely great visit at The University of Albany. Thank you to all of the coaches! #GreatDanes

Committed  to U Albany Sept 28, 2018

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Nice on Johnny Moore 

Hoping there are few more 'BIG' guys coming soon.  I know there are a few they are watching but not officially offered [at least from what I can find].  Plus the Big Guy from Schenectady who is suppose to sign in February.

DP,  Thanks for the "Kids Table."

In the middle of Fall Ball Lacrosse, I inadvertently got a discussion started on the growth or lack thereof of football/title Ix/allocation of resources. The topic seems to be getting a lot of play (mainly appropriate and mostly NOT personal.)  But many feel it would be better placed somewhere else and more appropriate to ALL UA sports and return fall ball lacrosse to itself. Any chance of making this happen? Anyhow, THANKS for all you do running this blog. It has brought/brings me a lot of pleasure.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1