UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It’s good to see all the recruiting updates but there are so many variables with recruits - we’ve actually signed some players with really good potential but many didn’t stay with the program.  I’ve tried to look back at recent recruits that were highly touted but didn’t show up or left the program.   

Madaras brothers - never played a game

Ryan Solt - never played a game

Greg Reaves - don’t think he ever showed up.  Ended up at USF and lead them in tackles last year

Chris Johnson - transferred after getting minimal playing time.  D 2 all american last year at University of North Alabama

Skylor Clinton - transfer from Wyoming, never played a game before leaving the program

Tre Hopkins- played one or two years and left program

Zac Barnard - never played a game.  I think he was a UConn recruit

Josh Gontarek -left program and is now playing D 2

Shane Schuback - don’t think he ever showed up

This doesn’t include players like Zee Roberson, Julian Cox, Elliott Croskey, Russell Neverdon, Dione Alston, Rocco Marucci, Justin Walker who might have had lower recruiting profiles but all started or were significant contributors before just leaving the program.

You also have to ask what happening with Ibn Foster.  He was an all state player (along with Rashan Gary) in N.J. with FBS offers.  Also, where’s  Hunter Verdi - another highly rated recruit that I don’t think has played this year.

Just this year, in an interview, Coach was asked if there were freshmen that he expected to contribute this year - he named Robert Lochmann and Benson Israel, I’m not sure if either one of them has even played this year.  Wondering if they’ll be around next year.

Not sure if this is typical of FCS football.  Anyway, we’ll see how many of the the new offers commit and stay with the program.

Edited by reeder

15 minutes ago, reeder said:

It’s good to see all the recruiting updates but there are so many variables with recruits - we’ve actually signed some players with really good potential but many didn’t stay with the program.  I’ve tried to look back at recent recruits that were highly touted but didn’t show up or left the program.   

Greg Reaves - don’t think he ever showed up.  Ended up at USF and lead them in tackles last year

Chris Johnson - transferred after getting minimal playing time.  D 2 all american last year at University of North Alabama

Skylor Clinton - transfer from Wyoming, never played a game before leaving the program

This doesn’t include players like Zee Roberson, Julian Cox, Elliott Croskey, Russell Neverdon, Dione Alston, Rocco Marucci, Justin Walker who might have had lower recruiting profiles but all started or were significant contributors before just leaving the program.

You also have to ask what happening with Ibn Foster.  He was an all state player (along with Rashan Gary) in N.J. with FBS offers.  Also, where’s  Hunter Verdi - another highly rated recruit that I don’t think has played this year.

Just this year, in an interview, Coach was asked if there were freshmen that he expected to contribute this year - he named Robert Lochmann and Benson Israel, I’m not sure if either one of them has even played this year.  Wondering if they’ll be around next year.

Not sure if this is typical of FCS football.  Anyway, we’ll see how many of the the new offers commit and stay with the program.

It's a mismanaged program top to bottom, the talent they do get struggles to get on the field or leaves. I'm worried about mass defection after this debacle of a season. 

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

It's a mismanaged program top to bottom, the talent they do get struggles to get on the field or leaves. I'm worried about mass defection after this debacle of a season. 

REALLY??!!!   Mismanagement, mass defection??  Nothing whatever to do with that!  Ibn Foster was/is hurt, Hunter Verdi is on the team, Lachmann is redshirted, Israel played in the last game - was injured. Cox transferred to a Div II school, Roberson could not handle academics, Solt was working at a fast food restaurant recently, Skylor Clinton never showed up. Josh Gontarek was arrested for selling drugs on campus and removed from the team and the school.  After two years out of FB he is now playing D II.  Some guys just quit, happens all the time! College is not for everyone, College FB is not for everyone, CAA FB is not for everyone.   Some kids thrive at D III, some at D II,  they can not handle D I,   Like I said some kids just quit - I know from personal experience while playing that there were 4 -5 every year who just left for whatever reason.  I got shifted to a new position my senior year after three years at the same position BECAUSE someone left the school!

Edited by HOF2013

2 hours ago, reeder said:

Skylor Clinton is currently on the roster of UAB in C-USA so he’s doing ok. Shane Schuback has a public FB page and I’ve noted before that he has pictures of his family and a cute little baby. So probably life got in the way. 

Just for S_ _ _ _ and Giggles - these SEVEN guys are all FBS transfers to UA

Kareem Gibson 5' 10" CB     University of Virginia
Benson Israel 6' 2" OL    Temple University
Vincent Testaverde 6' 1"  QB     Miami
Julian Conover 6' 2" LB     Temple University
Donovan McDonald 5' 10"    Nebraska
Julian Desire 6' 2" DL        Pitt
Antoine White 6' 1" DL    Penn State

As I have said numerous times I do not think VT should be playing at this point but still...............

Edited by HOF2013

1 hour ago, HOF2013 said:

REALLY??!!!   Mismanagement, mass defection??  Nothing whatever to do with that!  Ibn Foster was/is hurt, Hunter Verdi is on the team, Lachmann is redshirted, Israel played in the last game - was injured. Cox transferred to a Div II school, Roberson could not handle academics, Solt was working at a fast food restaurant recently, Skylor Clinton never showed up. Josh Gontarek was arrested for selling drugs on campus and removed from the team and the school.  After two years out of FB he is now playing D II.  Some guys just quit, happens all the time! College is not for everyone, College FB is not for everyone, CAA FB is not for everyone.   Some kids thrive at D III, some at D II,  they can not handle D I,   Like I said some kids just quit - I know from personal experience while playing that there were 4 -5 every year who just left for whatever reason.  I got shifted to a new position my senior year after three years at the same position BECAUSE someone left the school!

But isn't that on the coaching staff to better gauge who will cut it and who won't? Instead, they are wasting recruiting resources on kids who probably show signs of not having 'it' to cut it at this level. That's what Click was referring too.

2 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Let's take another part of the job off the job description, retention and development of talent. I mean, let's spend money and effort recruiting and then they can kick rocks while we continue to work towards a winning % as close as possible to 0%...clearly another thing with this program that is NOT Gattuso's fault or responsibility. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Haha 1

Speaking of recruiting and talent...if this isn't plain asinine I don't know what is. GG must think everyone is an idiot who will just lap his crap up. We are in year 5 of this disastrous regime and he's lamenting the fact that it "hurts us" to not have consistency at the QB spot. Fire this man on the spot!

What he should have said is..."Our recruiting right now isn't good enough and that's on me! The team I put together over a half of a decade has not had stability at the QB spot and I and my staff have to correct that going forward. We are looking to build towards next season and as a result, we will test our young stable of QB's to see if any of them can rise to the top"

But no, this loser loves the stable of QB's he has so much, he's recruiting another 18 QB's. Not only is he a fool but also a liar apparently. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eli said:

But isn't that on the coaching staff to better gauge who will cut it and who won't? Instead, they are wasting recruiting resources on kids who probably show signs of not having 'it' to cut it at this level. That's what Click was referring too.

Once again this is for RECRUITING not your constant attacking!!!

Once again this is for RECRUITING not your constant attacking!!!  I never said anything about fault.  YOU GUYS DID!

Edited by HOF2013

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

Speaking of recruiting and talent...if this isn't plain asinine I don't know what is. GG must think everyone is an idiot who will just lap his crap up. We are in year 5 of this disastrous regime and he's lamenting the fact that it "hurts us" to not have consistency at the QB spot. Fire this man on the spot!

What he should have said is..."Our recruiting right now isn't good enough and that's on me! The team I put together over a half of a decade has not had stability at the QB spot and I and my staff have to correct that going forward. We are looking to build towards next season and as a result, we will test our young stable of QB's to see if any of them can rise to the top"

But no, this loser loves the stable of QB's he has so much, he's recruiting another 18 QB's. Not only is he a fool but also a liar apparently. 

ABOUT TIME!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Once again this is for RECRUITING not your constant attacking!!!

Holy crap dude. No one is 'attacking' anyone here. #triggered? I know I now am.

We are discussing the staff's RECRUITING tactics (or lack thereof) and how it is costing this program on the RECRUITING trail (or on the field as seemingly half the kids we recruit don't amount to anything) in the RECRUITING thread that is going to affect our program in the nearest future (NEXT YEAR) or has affected us in the recent past (see post by Reeder).  The last few comments are 100% on topic so you can go pound salt ya freakin Nancy.

Either put your man pants on and stop crying like a whiny little $iena any time someone says something you don't like or hit the road Jack.

I don't even care if I get banned or a warning at this point. Your constant whining anytime someone posts something negative about Gattuso is ridiculous. We have grounds to do so...have you seen the freakin team!? Until there is a forum rule that bashing Gattuso is not allowed, I will bash him every day until he is no longer coach at UA. You got that? Go kick rocks.

/rant

I moderate a forum much bigger than this one (NICOClub.com) and your constant whining would get you kicked in a hurry by 95% of the staff there including by the damn owner himself who would tell you to pound salt in a much more animated way than I would/have. If you can't handle the internet, then log off.

Edited by Eli

Just now, Dane96 said:

I am just happy Burns and / or Undercuffler are going to get some baptism by fire.  They are the "current" future.

But he didn't say when and didn't sound committed to it being this game. I'm hoping that isn't the case. A few people here have wanted to see Burns for a couple of weeks now. We only have what, 3 games left?

50 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Once again this is for RECRUITING not your constant attacking!!!  I never said anything about fault.  YOU GUYS DID!

My post was very much about recruiting, shortcomings on the trail etc. The head coach commented about lack of consistency and talent level at a critical position which spurred not only my comment but others as well. 

I understand you have a very difficult time when anything is said that you perceive as attacking against Gattuso but it doesn't take away from the fact that the discussion as of late in this thread is very relevant to recruiting. With all due respect, I'm not going to ask you for permission on where I can and cant post regarding deficiencies (as perceived by me) with the current returns on the recruiting trail. You don't have to like it, I respect that you and I have fundamental differences of opinion as it relates to recruiting, results on the field etc. But you pontificating to me as to where, when and what I post within the rules as defined by the admin of this forum isn't gonna fly. 

5 years in, you shut people like me up by winning not you growling at the feet of Gattuso (like you do daily) and lashing out like an attack dog looking to silence anyone not towing the Gattuso line...I'M WAITING! Prove me wrong!

Edited by Clickclack