UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Women's Basketball - Whose watching the House?

14 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

My suggestion: please update the team's roster ... if someone has left no reason to list them ... only confuses the rest of us

More than a week after the hiring, they haven’t added bios of the new assistants either. They have, however, edited Coach Mullens’ announcement and bio to remove her personal information. Her choice, or is somebody sensitive about a same-sex marriage and their family? Haven’t checked the video to see if they cut it from there, too.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:11 PM, UAalum72 said:

More than a week after the hiring, they haven’t added bios of the new assistants either. They have, however, edited Coach Mullens’ announcement and bio to remove her personal information. Her choice, or is somebody sensitive about a same-sex marriage and their family? Haven’t checked the video to see if they cut it from there, too.

That’s curious. When the first player bolted after Coach Mullen was hired, I looked at the player’s bio and it noted an organization she belonged to. Pure speculation here, but that organization and same-sex marriage are not compatible. Was that it? No idea. For the record, I could care less who someone marries and fully support the hiring of Coach M. There is , however, an intersection of religion, society and athletics that can affect choices and have consequences.  I may be totally off base here. 

• Like 1

I try not to commit on religion or politics on this board, but I'll say this:

If we had players request a transfer because of one of the coaches personal lives that has no effect on their ability to coach, then I say good riddance.  Those players do not belong on a team in the America East or a team I support.

While they are 100% free to have whatever beliefs they want, what the coach does off the court has nothing to do with the players, their academics, or their ability to play high level basketball.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

If we had players request a transfer because of one of the coaches personal lives that has no effect on their ability to coach, then I say good riddance.  Those players do not belong on a team in the America East or a team I support.

While they are 100% free to have whatever beliefs they want, what the coach does off the court has nothing to do with the players, their academics, or their ability to play high level basketball.

While I agree with most of what you are saying;  IMHO totally DISAGREE "what the coach does off the court has nothing to do with the players, their academics, or their ability to play high level basketball." In fact, I would hope a coach has A LOT to do with how a "student athlete" grows as a player and person. Coach Brown, Coach Marr, Coach Abe, Coach Mac, Coach Sauers, Coach Ford and numerous others and how they lived their lives had a profound effect on the student athletes recuited to UA, their successes on and off the court. I hope coach Mullen, whatever her life choices are continues the tradition.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Again, I will point out that I'm no twitter genius, but, the first tweet I saw that List had gotten a release was on May 3.  The first tweet I saw that Trpcic had gotten a release was on May 5.  The announcement of Coach Mullin's hiring was on May 14.  Let's not impugn these two student athletes without knowing the facts.

I see that some feel it is inappropriate to dwell on those student athletes who have decided to transfer.  For me, the 3 teams I follow most are MBB, WBB and MLAX.  This is the most unusual post-seasons I can ever remember at UAlbany with the 2 best MBB players transferring; two probable WBB starters transferring and possibly the most significant MLAX player transferring.  As an alum, fan, season ticket buyer, athletic donor and someone who identifies with UAlbany athletics in the community, it may not be my right to know why, but I am concerned with why and if there are team cultures or player-coach issues which cause these departures, I want to understand that the Athletic Administration is handling each unique situation appropriately to insure the University's good name and reputation.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, statefan said:

Again, I will point out that I'm no twitter genius, but, the first tweet I saw that List had gotten a release was on May 3.  The first tweet I saw that Trpcic had gotten a release was on May 5.  The announcement of Coach Mullin's hiring was on May 14.  Let's not impugn these two student athletes without knowing the facts.

I see that some feel it is inappropriate to dwell on those student athletes who have decided to transfer.  For me, the 3 teams I follow most are MBB, WBB and MLAX.  This is the most unusual post-seasons I can ever remember at UAlbany with the 2 best MBB players transferring; two probable WBB starters transferring and possibly the most significant MLAX player transferring.  As an alum, fan, season ticket buyer, athletic donor and someone who identifies with UAlbany athletics in the community, it may not be my right to know why, but I am concerned with why and if there are team cultures or player-coach issues which cause these departures, I want to understand that the Athletic Administration is handling each unique situation appropriately to insure the University's good name and reputation.

Where is the tweet for List on May 3? On the Rockies Twitter it shows up May 15? It’s normal for players to seek transfers when the coach who recruited them leaves.  

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Where is the tweet for List on May 3? On the Rockies Twitter it shows up May 15? It’s normal for players to seek transfers when the coach who recruited them leaves.  

This is what I saw:

@Emma_List32 5'10", guard, has permission from @UAlbanyWBB to speak with all except All America East schools and Boston College. Don't miss this one!

1 hour ago, statefan said:

This is what I saw:

@Emma_List32 5'10", guard, has permission from @UAlbanyWBB to speak with all except All America East schools and Boston College. Don't miss this one!

OK, I see that now. So she started looking after Coach Mac and before Coach M, but jumped after Coach M was announced. So maybe a factor, maybe not. Thanks. 

On 6/4/2018 at 11:38 PM, Dane96 said:

Wow.  That’s supremely odd.  Across the country to a school in farmland?!

UC Davis dwarfs UA in enrollment, population of the MSA, has a medical and law school and a huge endowment compared to ours. And it’s a very short interstate hop to Sacramento. But yeah, there’s farmland around it. 

4 hours ago, jimbo said:

UC Davis dwarfs UA in enrollment, population of the MSA, has a medical and law school and a huge endowment compared to ours. And it’s a very short interstate hop to Sacramento. But yeah, there’s farmland around it. 

Jimbo, I’ve been to that campus probably over 80 times.  It’s in the middle of nowhere.  DAVIS medical is actually in Sacramento.  Davis law is not a great school.  And, demographically speaking, Davis kids don’t frequent Sacramento even with the 18 mile difference.  Sacramento, a city I work in for about a month a year, is sleepy.     

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...