UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

First two stats that jump out at me are Richmond at the X 43.5% and the starting goalie was just under 50% for the season. 

Richmond is very good on the man up so can't foul and give them easy opportunities.

The NCAA did Albany a solid by sending ROMO to the play in game, but the Danes will need Connor as close to healthy as possible to get past the quarters. Again, I don't know what two weeks buys Connor in terms of recovery given the ups and downs we have seen so far, but if the long game is to make it to Foxboro, which it obviously is, I think you go with the guys who smacked UVM in the conference finals, especially knowing that Albany should have a huge possession advantage against Richmond.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

I have to admit I am totally on the fence and you are spot on,  three weeks didn't do it which leads me to believe it is more than just a sprain so Coach Marr and Connor are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

That being said I think you have to go into the game and prepare a certain way.  Not banking on the fall game in any way, but UVM knew the good and bad, and even throwing a junk zone at the Danes, and a goalie with over a 60% save rate, the Danes still put 14 in the back of the net.

The risk of your approach, which I don't disagree with at all, is that it has the guys knowing Connor is there as a potential safety blanket. If I were the coach I would look the boys square in the face today at practice and say it is on you to get us and Connor to the quarters and not look back OR the approach should be we are going with our best player in the line up, no regrets and go get it.  I prefer option one, but either way I would go with the decisive approach the entire week leading into the game.

Now feel free to use smoke screens so you don't tip our hand to Richmond.

I’m going to contradict my previous comment and play devils advocate here. You’ve gotta beat the team in front of you when it comes tournament time.  Can’t get to UD/ND without beating Richmond and they sure as heck are not going to lay down or be intimidated. Every game could be the last game for Connor, whether through loss or injury. I think if the docs clear him, he starts. I think as long as Marr sees that he is not creating a drag on the O, he will leave him in. The kid has earned it and deserves it. Both Denver and ND are great defensive teams which means our attackers are going to be wearing defensive players like a second jersey. It might be better to have the most mobile group in if they make it to the next round. First things first. Beat Richmond. 

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I have to admit I am totally on the fence and you are spot on,  three weeks didn't do it which leads me to believe it is more than just a sprain so Coach Marr and Connor are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

That being said I think you have to go into the game and prepare a certain way.  Not banking on the fall game in any way, but UVM knew the good and bad, and even throwing a junk zone at the Danes, and a goalie with over a 60% save rate, the Danes still put 14 in the back of the net.

The risk of your approach, which I don't disagree with at all, is that it has the guys knowing Connor is there as a potential safety blanket. If I were the coach I would look the boys square in the face today at practice and say it is on you to get us and Connor to the quarters and not look back OR the approach should be we are going with our best player in the line up, no regrets and go get it.  I prefer option one, but either way I would go with the decisive approach the entire week leading into the game.

Now feel free to use smoke screens so you don't tip our hand to Richmond.

I agree 100% with your take.  Well said!

31 minutes ago, jimbo said:

I’m going to contradict my previous comment and play devils advocate here. You’ve gotta beat the team in front of you when it comes tournament time.  Can’t get to UD/ND without beating Richmond and they sure as heck are not going to lay down or be intimidated. Every game could be the last game for Connor, whether through loss or injury. I think if the docs clear him, he starts. I think as long as Marr sees that he is not creating a drag on the O, he will leave him in. The kid has earned it and deserves it. Both Denver and ND are great defensive teams which means our attackers are going to be wearing defensive players like a second jersey. It might be better to have the most mobile group in if they make it to the next round. First things first. Beat Richmond. 

I think I would keep him out UNLESS the knee is well wrapped / taped and then put the brace over it.  We certainly can not afford to have him for part of the Richmond game and then zero time against ND or Denver

I caught part of Coach Marr’s appearance on Wyland. Bottom line appears to be that if he’s not mobile, he’s not playing. He doesn’t practice, it messes with the flow and the team defers to him...thereby messing them up if he’s not mobile. 

Did anyone catch ESPN interview with the committee chair?  They questioned why Richmond was not a play-in team.  ESPN questioned why Cornell was not the 8 seed with Syracuse traveling to Ithaca.   Hmmm nothing makes sense to some of us.

14 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Did anyone catch ESPN interview with the committee chair?  They questioned why Richmond was not a play-in team.  ESPN questioned why Cornell was not the 8 seed with Syracuse traveling to Ithaca.   Hmmm nothing makes sense to some of us.

They have to use an entire group of criteria to make their determinations and Syracuse, based on strength of schedule finished ahead of them.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

ESPN analysts shared their thoughts about the stats... my impression ESPN did not agree with info used

agreed!

• Thanks 1

Just caught a bit of an Inside Lacrosse podcast talking about the seedings. One of the guys, can't remember his name, but he said some good comments on the game and scouting Richmond's offense against Albany's defense. We know one of the Richmond guys well from the club circuit, and if Avon flies around unnecessarily their attackmen can get the ball off quick.

Just saw a tweet from Kelly that Fields was not practicing which is what I expected from how he looked against UML. I honestly think it will keep the team even more razor focused and hungry to get to the next round. Another interesting take I heard and I agree with it, was that if Connor is out there less than perfect which would probably be the case, an opponent should shut off Jacob or Tehoka, and make a wounded Fields try to beat you on the dodge. Chemotti is a great coach and I would have expected him to do something like that if Connor is out there and really can't effectively dodge.